Yet another budget sub question

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by WILD9, May 18, 2004.

1. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I recently started to get a little into home cinema and started amassing some budget kit,
    Amp = Pioneer vsx-c100
    Speakers = Eltax Evolution 5.2 system

The system sounds pretty good considdering what i paid for it, the speakers are really quite good and the amp does pretty well, my real grief is the subs built into the base of the towers. It sounded like a good idea at the time but they are really quite bad they dont seem to integrate with the sound at all , its as if theyve got two settings rumble loudly and off.

Im on a tight budget and home cinema isnt my first love so spending over £100 isnt an option, im not after excelence im just after something a damn site better than what ive got now. After days spent searching the forums it seems my only choice is a Paradigm PDR10 second hand(if i can find one). I live on a top floor flat so i dont want the bass to shake the whole building and **** off my neighbours i just want it to be punchy, with a little control and the ability to drop a little. My question is A) have i reached the right conclusion about which sub to get and B) will i notice a significant improvement with a PDR 10 over my current subs(they may be sort of equivalent to atomic 8s, probably worse)? (also space is an issue so big subs like the ps1000 are out of the question.)

Cheers

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Sticking a couple of active subwoofers in the bottom of a pair of floorstanders sounds a great idea in principle but isn't so easy in practice. Much has been written here about how important the positioning is of a subwoofer and how moving it just a few inches can make a difference. When you have subs built into the floorstanders you have to compromise on positioning as what is likely to be the optimum position for the subwoofers could be the worst place for stereo imaging and vice versa.

Before giving up on your speakers and looking for an alternative answer, try moving them about a bit and playing with the volume and phase controls on the subs (assuming they have phase controls)