1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another AVP cut - this time 'un-rated' !!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Media_Man, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Double dipping. Dont you just love it. 'No' i hear you cry !!

Well how about triple dipping !! :eek:

Fox are releasing another 2 disc 'un-rated' Alien vs Predator DVD in November. :mad:

This time all the scenes that director Paul Anderson said had been cut (but the Studio denied) are included - making for an extra 15-20 mins of footage.

The disc will include DTS 5.1 and 2 commentary tracks plus a load of other extras.

2. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Nothing new. This is only the second release as with other "SE"

3. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Damn [Swearing edited by Mark Haywood]

4. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually its the third release.

And i think most on here know its nothing new Sick Boy. :rolleyes:

I was merely informing those who may be interested in this release - whilst commenting on the shocking greed of Fox - even by normal Studio standards.

PS: And actually having 3 different cuts released on DVD in a relatively short space of time (of such a medoicre film) is quite rare. :lesson:

5. Mendes

Mendes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +169
    Does this cut make it better, or heaven forbid any worse? :rotfl:

6. Racquel Darrian

Racquel Darrian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +438
    I liked it and have the R3 version.
    If it's worth getting then I'll rethink.

7. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a very good question Mendes. Truth is we wont know until the DVD gets a release - though they will be hard pushed to make it any worse.

A lot of the new footage is apparently violent scenes between the Aliens & Predators - scenes that they cut from the original theatre (and initial DVD) release. This was obviously just a cynical ploy to get more 'bums on seats'.

What started out as a great premise for a movie degenerated through the narrative (such as there was) into a bizarre 'buddy' movie - which dissapointed me - and many others it seems.

Putting the fight scenes back in should surely make the film a little more satisfying - though its never going to be 'Aliens' - thats for sure.

Guess my current AVP Special Edition 2 disk set will be on sale real soon.
    :rolleyes:

8. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I like the film. If someone hates the film then 10 extra minutes won't make any difference.

Also, there won't be violent scenes. They never existed. It is just the deleted scenes added back in.

9. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm...really ??

Well with scenes added that are entitled ;

"Chamber of Skulls"
    "Sacrifice"
    "Weyland's Death"
    "Predator Ritual"

...they hardly sound like a tea party. :rotfl:

10. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    But the single disc and 2 disc were released at the same time. And the cut was the same on both editions. :lesson:

11. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I liked the film but couldn't help feeling disappointed in the end as a promising first half developed into a run of the mill emotionless seen it all before action film ( without the blood and i happen to believe blood isn't always necessary but good characters you care for are necessary and this film didnt have that although Henriksens character was almost fleshed out and likeable but in the end his character was wasted )

I also think the so called cold ice conditions in the film looked fake, the breathing of people wasn't right and compare this to a film where the temperatures really were low when filming took place such as The Thing and you can see a world of difference.

Sound and picture quality are top knotch on the region three 2 disc edition i own and having seen the deleted scenes which are being added to the new american version i can't help but feel it will make the film worse and not better as the deleted scenes didnt really add anything to the characters or the actual film.

As for studio which screws its customers over the most i vote Columbia ( aka Sony ) and perhaps someone should start a vote regarding dvd companies which constantly do this without notifying people its coming ( lets face it the studio knew they were going to release multiple versions probably before the film was even released at the cinema )

13. captaineyecatch

captaineyecatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The added unrated footage : Antarctica 1904, Argument, Chamber of Skulls, Sacrifice, Weyland's Death & Predator Ritual are all on the 2 disc R3 dvd and R2 dvd - they have been renamed from the R2/R3 releases and have been inserted into the film.
    There is no extra violence the movie was shot as a Pg 13 and thats all there is.
    Do remember that UNRATED just means the movie hasnt been submitted to the MPAA for a rating (which costs money), it doesnt mean its going to be ultra violent - most of the time its a marketing gimmick.

14. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859

15. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Sorry, Mark. No offence meant.

I thought I had edited the word enough myself. :mad: But those greedy FOX executives are a bunch of %$%*&£* (oops there I go again!:D ) and deserve all the abuse I can throw at them.

16. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I started a thread about this new release a few months ago but anyway, what other people have said is true, this is only the 2nd release for Region 1, the first release was a pretty barebones edition with just 3 Deleted Scenes, a Making of Documentary and some other extras but it did include the Theatrical and Extended Edition (New Opening Sequence) of the film via seamless branching.

As for Region 2, we did get both 1 and 2 Disc releases on the same day (March 7th) and the 1 Disc release is the exact same disc that is in the 2 Disc release so both versions contain the Theatrical and Extended Edition of the film.

Also, this new 2 Disc Region 1 Edition is almost a carbon copy of the 2 Disc Region 2/3/4 releases except that most of the Deleted Scenes that were contained on the 2nd Disc have been re-named and put back into the film for the R1 release.
    There will be no extra violence or gore as it was never shot, all that talk about Anderson making an R rated cut and Fox cutting it down to PG-13 was just rubbish that got started by a single report someone made about a private screening.
    Anderson himself has said that the version we saw in the cinema is his preferred cut of the film and the only thing he regretted was not adding the original Opening Sequence but considering every DVD release worldwide got the new Opening Sequence, this new longer unrated cut is nothing but a gimmick being used by Fox to try and get the people who bought the original release to double dip.

So if you already have a 2 Disc R2/3/4 release then there is really no need to get this new release, infact from the spec list it looks like it will still be missing out on some Deleted Scenes anyway so if you must upgrade, wait until they release the 'Ultimate Unrated Extreme Extended Collectors Edition'

17. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but it will be the third release for Region 2. There were the original single and double disks you mentioned and the Extreme 2 disc Edition i bought a few months later. If this 'unrated' version comes out here it will be the third release.

Not sure this is true. My 'Extreme Edition' has extra fight scenes not included in the original releases. I resisted getting the first disks - as the 'Extreme' version had already been advertised as a future release.

Actually in my R2 Extreme Edition they have been put back in the film too - it looks like they have just been re-named to confuse everyone.

Thats great news for Extreme Edition owners though. No need to shell-out again - though i think this R1 'Unrated' version has some new extra's on it.

Yes - lmao. Then they will all be re-released in Collectors Edition HD/Blue Ray or whatever...oh joy !! :eek:

18. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    :hiya:

Can you tell me where I can get the R2 2 disk non extreme edition with different special features as I want to add it to my collection. Only got the region 3 2 disc when this came out.

19. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    There isn't a 2 disc non Extreme version on R2 (in the UK at least). The only 2 disc version is the Extreme version.

20. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Thanx ;)

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I am afraid you are mistaken as there has only ever been a single 2 Disc release in the UK and it is called the 'Extreme Edition' and was released March 7th, it is identical to the 2 Disc Region 3/4 releases.

As I said above the Extreme Edition is identical to the 2 Disc Region 3/4 releases and like other Fox 2 Disc releases it contains the exact same film disc that is included in the Single Disc release. There are no extra fights and the only new footage in the film is the 1904 opening sequence, after that it is the normal theatrical version, if you dont believe me check the running time.

Again as I said above, the film disc in the 2 Disc release is the same film disc as in the single disc release, the only new footage is the opening sequence, nothing else.

The 2 Disc Region 3 release is identical to the 2 Disc 'Extreme Edition' Region 2 release, the only differences will be audio and subtitle related.

22. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry - its you who are mistaken. On the day of initial release you had the choice of single or double disc standard editions (of the theatre cut) of the DVD - as mentioned above by Sick Boy and a few others.

The 2 disc Extreme edition has now replaced the original 2 disc edition for obvious reasons.

I dont have both editions to check running times but i'm certain there are all the scenes added to the Region 2 Extreme version that have been recently added to the new Unrated Region 1 edition - which adds alot more than just the opening sequence.

Not true. See above.

Quite possibly.

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    I will email Fox if you like to confirm it but there has only ever been two releases of Alien vs Predator on DVD in the UK, the single disc edition and the two disc 'Extreme Edition' both of which include the Theatrical and Extended Edition (new opening sequence) of the film via seamless branching (the single disc release is the film disc from the 2 disc release) and both of which were released on March 7th 2005.

The 2 Disc 'Extreme Edition' was advertised as so months before its release and no other version was listed anywhere, trust me I was a member of a US AvP fansite and I kept it updated with the latest info regarding the UK DVD release, the 2 Disc version has always been known as the 'Extreme Edition'.

As for running time, the R2 Theatrical version of AvP lasts for 96mins36s and the Extended Edition with the new opening sequence lasts for 100m23s

Also, you might want to check out dvdcompare.net for a list of all the different Region releases of AvP, it confirms what I have been saying about the Region 2 UK releases.

24. Sick Boy

Sick Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    This may clear up the confusion. ;)

http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=5527&n=1&k=avp&burl=r=0&g=info&s=1&k=avp

Certainly looks like the UK 2 disc was always called the extreme edition. Seems to make sense as I think that this is what FOX like to do with their DVD releases, give the consumer a choice over purchasing the extra disc. I think they had an ad campaign on TV when they released a load of 2 disc SE's calling them all Extreme or something similar.

Plus I pre ordered it for a mate, and remember being jealous that the box was embossed. My R3 was available earlier but didn't look as good :(

25. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    There has only been two versions of it on R2.

Single disc (which is disc one of the disc 2 set) which I have.

Two disc set (with disc one same as the single disc version) and a second disc of extras inc the deleted scenes. This is the Extreme Version.

26. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Like he said :smashin:

I bought the Extreme R2 edition on it's day of release and that was the same day the single disc version was released too.

27. Media_Man

Media_Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

This is all too much for me !! I blame the weather. :confused:

So does this mean that the additional scenes advertised on the new R1 'Unrated' edition are indeed 'new' and not included on my R2 Extreme Edition ??

The scenes added to the Unrated edition are entitled ;

"Chamber of Skulls"
    "Sacrifice"
    "Weyland's Death"
    "Predator Ritual"

Geeez. How confusing !!

I'm gonna go and have a lie down now. :suicide:

28. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    Most of the additional scenes are already part of the extended version in R2. Both single and two disc sets have the Theatrical and Extended version on the same disc.

Therefore, the unrated R1 has only a few more scenes than the current R2 discs.

It is not worth bothering with if you have the either the 1 or 2 disc R2.

29. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,296
    It is possible that Fox held back Deleted Scenes from the 2 Disc R2/3/4 release just so they could make this Extended Edition, they certainly held at least one back as there was a Deleted Scene on the original R1 release that was not part of the 2 Disc UK release but it is also possible that the new scenes are just the re-named Deleted Scenes from the current 2 Disc release or I guess it could be a mixture of both, either way the new Unrated Extended Edition will be the first time the new footage will have been seen as part of the film because the original Extended Edition was nothing more than the 3min Alternate Opening Sequence, after that it was the same version of the film that we saw at the cinema.

Guess it all depends on whether the Unrated Extended Edition does contain brand new footage, if it does it might be worth a look but if its just the Deleted Scenes we already have on the 2 Disc release I dont think its worth it, either way its probaley best to wait until there is a review up about it.

Also, I just thought I would mention that currently the best version of AvP to get is the 2 Disc Region 4 release as it contains the same 2nd Disc as the UK set but the 1st Disc contains an extra Deleted Scene not on the 2nd Disc along with a Making of Feature.