1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another 6006 problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by BallJoint, May 28, 2002.

1. BallJoint

BallJoint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be an aweful lot of 6006 problems around at the moment. After reading all the threads on this model I finally went out and bought a 24" version on Saturday (thanks to John Jennings and Tom-m for their advice).

I'm absolutely blown away by the quality of the picture (compared to my old set) - it's fantastic with R2 DVDs. So far I've had no ghosting problems, touch wood, but then I don't own a PS2 or Digibox.

My only niggle, and I know it is only a nicam telly, but the sound is quite poor. Not only is it very tinny even with the bass right up, but when set to the middle the sound is still unbalanced quite a lot to the right. Normally I run the sound through the hifi, via VCR, so it doesn't worry me too much.

Is this abnormal and has anyone come across this in their sets?

Would appreciate any comments.

BJ

2. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BJ, I didn't like the sound initially, like most tv's there isn't much bass, but found that if I set the treble to 92 and the bass to 60, it improved a lot.

Too much bass makes things sound a bit harsh on this model IMHO.

It seems that picture quality definitely comes first on this model :rolleyes:

tom

3. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yeah, the PW6006 sound is a little feeble. I've found that setting the bass too high actually causes a little distortion too.

I run mine through my surround set-up though whenever I'm watching a film or playing games. I only use the internal speakers if I'm watching the news or something like that where sound isn't important.

Pciture is spot-on though isn't it? :)

And no sign of any weird ghosting or RGB problems on mine :D
    (well, you can see some very faint vertical bars if you're watching a black screen in a pitch-black room and you put the brightness way up higher than watchable levels)

Cheers,
    John

PS Tom, whilst you're about on this thread; I feel like tweaking EWW again (I know, fool!). Mine's currently set as 39 in widescreen mode, giving me 15 in 4:3 mode. If I don't find a better value, if I put in 39 again in Widescreen mode, will it give me 15 again in 4:3 mode? (i.e. is the link between the 2 values always the same? I've only modified it once, so don't know!). I just want to make sure I can easily put it back to how it was if needed! Any info, as always, greatly appreciated!

4. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries there John, as long as you go through the same procedure you'll have no problems :) .

I know what you mean about going back to the menu though, there's always something that just needs tweaking that you didn't notice the day before :rolleyes:

Dare I ask, are you going wider/narrower?

cheers
    tom

5. John Jennings

John Jennings

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well, I got the THX Optimimode thingy on a recent DVD (Phantom Menace) and used it to look at some of the geometry settings. On the screen that shows the perfect circle I found the screen is being stretched too far horizontally (so the circle was more of an oval). I don't want to stretch the screen vertically (as I've already got a lot of vertical overscan), so I thought I might shrink it horizontally a bit, as there's a reasonable amount of horizontal overscan when I use the widescreen modes.

I'd never noticed this once before I looked at the THX optimiser, but now whenever I'm watching anything I'm always thinking 'Hmm, those people look a little bit too wide'. :D

Cheers Tom, I'll give it a go (modifying it in Widescreen mode only of course :clown: ).

John

6. tom-m

tom-m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you mean about people looking a bit wide, and it gets worse, what about that door frame, it looks slightly bent towards the top, or that mans head looks slighthly egg shaped when he bends his head to one side..etc...etc!!!

It's straight on into infinity before I'll be satisfied :rolleyes:

Unfortunately there's always a scene which will show up a geometry question...oh well, never mind, one day maybe.

tom