• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yesterday (2019) Directed by Danny Boyle

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles

DzNs_0HUwAACd_9.jpg

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
:D I've had fantasies about this scenario.

Boyle looks like he's had a lot of fun filming this.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Watched the trailer bleary eyed this morning while the kettle was boiling, and missed the main conceit of the film :facepalm:. I though it looked bloody awful.

Then I saw the youtube comments, watched it again properly, was like "ohhh cleverrrrrrr".

Definitely in.

bruce-leroy

Distinguished Member
Ana de Armas is in it? I'm in. :love:

Oh yeah, the hottie on the talk show with the main guy.

They’re doing the “She’s All That” conceit of having the gorgeous Lily James playing a super, frumpy girl. Yeah, right. :D

Smudger1

Didn't they do this with Goodnight Sweetheart?

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
it's Tamwar Masood from Eastenders :)

Yesterday selected as Tribeca Film Festival's closing night movie.

Last edited:

encaser

Distinguished Member
"A struggling musician realizes he's the only person on Earth who can remember The Beatles."
The horror.

Foster

Distinguished Member
Got this booked for Wednesday, should be good!

domtheone

Distinguished Member
They’re doing the “She’s All That” conceit of having the gorgeous Lily James playing a super, frumpy girl. Yeah, right. :D

Just watched the trailer and yup, that's what came to mind.:thumbsup:

And aye, so gorgeous:love::D

Not sure if i'll go and see this but it's got that pick me up, feel good type of vibe.

Unless the real Beatles turn up at the end and it all goes Pete Tong:rotfl:

DalekbusterTV

Just watched the trailer and yup, that's what came to mind.:thumbsup:

And aye, so gorgeous:love::D

Not sure if i'll go and see this but it's got that pick me up, feel good type of vibe.

Unless the real Beatles turn up at the end and it all goes Pete Tong:rotfl:
The reviews mention a controversial moment, so I guess there's probably a reveal that
John Lennon and George Harrison are both still alive in the world where the Beatles aren't formed.

I can see this film performing quite well at the Box Office. Musicals have made a bit of a resurgence lately, what with the likes of La La Land, The Greatest Showman, Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. Plus the Beatles are still an iconic brand, everybody knows those songs and it has serious clout behind it with Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis. Ordinarily I'd say writers and directors aren't a big draw for a casual moviegoing audience, but even my Dad knows who Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis are, and he wouldn't have a clue if I asked him about Quentin Tarantino or James Gunn.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
The reviews mention a controversial moment, so I guess there's probably a reveal that
John Lennon and George Harrison are both still alive in the world where the Beatles aren't formed.

I can see this film performing quite well at the Box Office. Musicals have made a bit of a resurgence lately, what with the likes of La La Land, The Greatest Showman, Bohemian Rhapsody and Rocketman. Plus the Beatles are still an iconic brand, everybody knows those songs and it has serious clout behind it with Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis. Ordinarily I'd say writers and directors aren't a big draw for a casual moviegoing audience, but even my Dad knows who Danny Boyle and Richard Curtis are, and he wouldn't have a clue if I asked him about Quentin Tarantino or James Gunn.

I read as a massive Beatles fan (myself) that what normally would be a more independent type of film on a smaller budget..the rights to secure the Beatles music pushed the budget up by £10 Million even before anything was filmed. and permissions were given across the board from the remaining Beatles and respective estates so it will be interesting to see what they will do with this little interesting story. and of course it will be interesting to see if there are any cameos from the real deal (aswell as maybe younger actors being the beatles)

Foster

Distinguished Member
Well I quite enjoyed that, Jack (Himish Patel) a failing musician about to quit and go back to teaching is hit by a bus as all the electricity on earth goes out and he wakes up to find out nobody knows who the beatles are.

DalekbusterTV

I read as a massive Beatles fan (myself) that what normally would be a more independent type of film on a smaller budget..the rights to secure the Beatles music pushed the budget up by £10 Million even before anything was filmed. and permissions were given across the board from the remaining Beatles and respective estates so it will be interesting to see what they will do with this little interesting story. and of course it will be interesting to see if there are any cameos from the real deal (aswell as maybe younger actors being the beatles)
Yeah, It's such a unique premise for a musical.

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Well I quite enjoyed that, Jack (Himish Patel) a failing musician about to quit and go back to teaching is hit by a bus as all the electricity on earth goes out and he wakes up to find out nobody knows who the beatles are.

are you summarizing the trailer or seen the full film? :D

Foster

Distinguished Member

Foster

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom