1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes, it's another what 28" WS thread...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by lungfish, Aug 11, 2002.

1. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking for a 28" widescreen TV (can't fit anything larger into the space available right now):
    • Under £700
    • Nicam audio is fine (anything that I care about the sound will be going through a proper amp)
    • True-flat screen. I know some of you don't rate these, but I like them
    • Works well with NTSC/60Hz (ie, R1 DVD) material
    • 2+ SCARTs
    • Not too worried about 50Hz vs. 100Hz. I can see some 50Hz flicker on most 28" sets, but not enough to really bother me, but I'd also be happy with a 100Hz set that just upped the refresh rate without doing too much 'enhancement'
    The set will be used almost exclusively for NTL digital and DVDs (R1 & R2), occasionally with home-recorded VHS or a PS1.
    I've trawled through this forum, the newsgroups, and done the rounds of the local stores to some up with this shortlist:
    • Panasonic 28TXPL1 / PL10 -- these consistently have the best picture, IMHO, of anything on display in Curry's/Comet/JL, but the problems reported here seem to affect exactly the kind of material I want to play on it :(
    • JVC AV28R25 -- Again, some problems with geometry and RGB playback that would annoy me.
    • Sony KV28LS35 / LS60 -- Don't seem to suffer from the same problems as some other Sonys. LS60 is probably outside my budget though.
    • Toshiba Strata 28ZD26 -- Can't find out much about the 28" model, but the 32" has a gorgeous picture and nobody has said much bad about it yet.
    • Thomson 28WF45UG -- Don't know much about this one either, but the ones I've seen look pretty good, and the price is OK.
    I could also pick up a 1-year old Panny TX28DK1 from a colleague who's leaving the country. That's my backup option if I decide I just can't spend £600+ on something flawed.
    I know it's been asked a million times before, but any advice on which one of these to go for would be appreciated... today I'm leaning towards one of the Sonys or maybe the Tosh, but I'm sure to change my mind again by tomorrow... help! :confused:

Thanks in advance!

2. thepange

thepange
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had the same dilema as yourself after having had 4 faulty 32" TVs.

I decided to get a 28" and did a bit of research as you have, and eventually bought the Sony KV28LS60 from John Lewis.

I got them to pricematch Argos @ £749, but you may find this cheaper elsewhere.

Overall I am very impressed with this set, as you will find lots of people on this forum.

Hope this helps

3. lungfish

lungfish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I could find it somewhere for under £700 and get JL to pricematch, that would definitely be a contender, especially since they seem to have it in stock. I really should try to stick to my budget for a change, what with a new DVD player, amp, speakers and cables to buy as well :)
    This month's HCC mag has a fairly glowing review of the Tosh 32ZD26 (big brother of the 28ZD26 I'm looking at); people on here seem to like it as well. The 28" shares the same manual, so I'm hoping it's just as good, only smaller.