1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes.....i know...another newbie dvd recorder owner!!!!!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by barneybelly, Feb 10, 2005.

1. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I have just purchased a Panasonic E85 dvd recorder and would love someone out there to help me maximise my useage and suggest the best way to link up my system.

I have a panny tv with 2 scart sockets, a telewest pace cable box, a panasonic sa-xr15 av receiver and now a panny e85.....
    I also have a ps2 & x-box and would love some info on best way to set this up...at the moment i am using them through av3 on front of tv by switching cables over...this does not bother me that much but if theres a better way then let me know...also i wanna try and play them through av sound rather than just tv!!
    I want to be able to use the dvd recorder with videoplus to make it far easier to record anything from tv...a bit like the sky+ way.
    Also...any advice on what media to best use for the E85.
    Any other hints and tips to maximise my equipment would be appreciated.
    As u can see from the above...i am not very knowledgable on the ins and outs of home cinema but would love to make the most of what i have.

Thanks.
    Dave

2. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok guys...i know its a pain to listen to us newbies all of the time but just a little bit of advice would be very much appreciated....i just wanna get the most out of my set-up as u can understand.

Thanks
    Dave

3. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

Any bits of info, links etc would be very handy....i have been looking around the forums searching for advice but i just need info specific to my setup to help me on my way.....so antything at all would be greatly appreciated.

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    A bit of infomation overload in one go. But this may give you a start:

I suggest you do it in stages and I assume the input scart on the E85 is called L1.

1. Deal with the TV, the cable box and the DVD and get that lot working.
    Connect as shown in the E85 manual.

2. You won't be able to use VideoPlus for cable on the E85. If you enter the code it will normally set to the internal tuner, but see *** below . You will either have to set both timers (cable and E85), with the E85 to L1 input, or use External Link to get the cable box to turn the E85 on and off.

*** If you set two timers, then you may be able to get the E85 always to use L1 for all VideoPlus channels so at least you can set the timers easily.

3. Add the sound. If you want av sound from the E85, use its audio outs. If you want it from all sources then use the TV audio outs if it has them. But the TV may not send the surround sound through to them. You'll have to experiment.

4. Use the TV front sockets for the x-box etc. To save changing cables, get a switch box.

5. ben223

ben223

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As for media, barney, I've used the following on my E85 with no probs. Maxell (4x) Verbatim (4x + 8x), TDK (8x), Sony (4x). Emtec didn't do well on my machine.

6. barneybelly

barneybelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice guys and i will give it a go..am off work for the next coupke of days so have time to experiment.
    will let u know how i get on!!

7. Tellyfiend

Tellyfiend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just for info:

The main input on the E85 is called AV2 and is a scart connection (RGB compatible). AV1 is an input/output scart (RGB out but only composite in).
    AV3 front is composite or S-video as is AV4 rear