Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Yes, Another Denon 2900 Thread - Sorry Folks!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dynamic turtle, Jan 24, 2005.

1. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Denon 2900, multi-regioned (no idea what firmware is running, is there a way of finding out? The dealer inserted a blank cd-r with the MR software and loaded it. When I asked him what the firmware codes were, he stared at me blankly :rolleyes: )

I have scoured the archives first and read just about every 2900 thread going and still have a few Q's for you:

1) The RGB Scart output is problematic. On some discs, I get horrible green/yellow flickering over the entire picture, through all the film. On other discs it is very intermittent. Running via S-video and composite solves this problem, but with usual drop in overall PQ. Please note this is not the same problem as the "green screen" you get with say, a PS2.

The TV is a Sony KV32FX68. Scart is Philex Thor (have tried others - same problem). The Sony's RGB input works fine with digibox & games consoles, so that isn't the problem.

One of the reasons I bought the 2900, was that my Pio 565 caused awful flicker & banding in RGB. I'm most annoyed that a player as expensive as the 2900 still has RGB issues.

Also, I'm not that impressed with the PQ over the 565. Whites seem over-exposed and skin tones (when they're not green :rolleyes: ) still aren't right, even after exhaustive contrast/colour tweaking.

Suggestions :lease: . Oh and remember, the dealers are monkeys so I need your help on this one - they'll just give me the run-around.

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    DT

I have never had any RGB issues with any DVD-V player I have had in my house, and that includes a Pioneer 717, Sony 355, Wharfedale S50 IIRC, all displayed in both my Sony & Panny TVs without problem in RGB mode.

Return it dude and ask for a new one. Although as your previous DVD-V player did the same or exhibited a RGB problem too, could the RGB scart of your TV be at fault ? can you try a different player than the 2900 or old Pioneer ?.

3. Mark Antony

Mark Antony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Try http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=498932&highlight=2900 as this concerns firmware updates that may fix certain things. There may well be RGB settings on the player and TV that need to be set/changed, just because it works on consoles it may need to be changed for the dvd - does the tv have multiple scart rgb inputs or are you using a connection patch box?

Re colour setting, have you tried a quality RGB scart lead such as a QED, and setting up colour greyscale using a set-up dvd such as avia/digital video essentials - or are you doing it by eye?

M

4. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    CJ, I want to see if I can fix the problem myself before returning it. Like I said, the Denon dealership is staffed by Dixons-quality salesmen and will be no help whatsoever :suicide:

DVD's run perfectly using the xbox and Sony DVP-NS300 in RGB mode. Perfect colour with no flickering/banding or green/yellow flicker issues whatsoever. Through both scart sockets!

Mark Anthony, the 2900 is going straight into the tv - no switchbox in sight. I've tried swapping the scarts around (philex thor, Ixos XFT-02, Cambridge Audio Pacific and a rusty OEM job - all with the same results. The scart cable is NOT the problem.)

I have calibrated the 2900 using both the THX Optimiser and the Silver Screen test disc.

I can't believe I'm the only owner with this sort of problem :lease:

DT

I'd just like to point out that the player is reading discs flawlessly so far and has no other problems with it at all!

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +9,556
    Definitely would be concerned if a 'dealer' gave you a blank look when asked about firmware. Maybe take it to a place which doesn't have numptys working there.

I have a 2900 and I have had no problems (that probably means I will now after saying that!)

6. MBeeching

MBeeching
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No Denon 2900 issues here. Watched OldBoy on it the other night and I was blown away by the picture, there was so much detail.
    Spiderman 2: Superbit Edition also looked outstanding, the colour balance was second to none.

My previous player was the Sony 735 DVP (hey when I bought it this was a god like player which cost me nearly £500). I was pleased with it but wanted DVD-A/SACD/Multi Reg etc. (even won 'review of the month' on Amazon which got me a £50 voucher!)

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Agreed. Shame about the film though :p
    Oldboy is awesome - one of the Films of 2004 IMHO.

TBH, I bought 2900 mainly for CD/SACD/DVDA. It'll probably only spend 20% of it's life playing DVDV. The RGB problem isn't the end of the world (about 1 in 5 discs have a problem. Thank god LOTR & SW work perfectly :smoke: ).

Mbeeching - do you really think the PQ is that good? Really not much in it between my 565 (now £99?)

DT

8. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Actually, reading some of the threads about the Pio 868 and CUE, it sounds like this could be a problem with the RGB output of the player not being read correctly by my TV. Apparently, this sort of issue can be fixed by going into the service menu on the tv and adjusting some of the RGB voltage parameters. Anyone tried this sort of thing?

DT

9. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Another thing. Adjusting the contrast/brightness settings via the player's Pic Adjust button does absolutely nothing to the picture in RGB!

Adjustments do work in s-video & composite mode though.

DT