Yes - another [email protected]$%y newbie

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by imichael, Nov 5, 2004.

1. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I've been reading through the forum for a couple of weeks catching up on technology (I've got the original Yamaha all in one the AV1). Main use of the system (90%) will be movies or TV. And so far have narrowed my choices down to :

Yamaha X650 or 750 (the composite upsampling could be useful, otherwise the 650 is more than enough)

Or go down a level and get the MArantz5400ose or the 550 Yam, the Cambridge Amp or maybe a Denon, the market is awash with kit at the £250ish level.

I need small speakers (my wife is not going to bend on this), so was looking at the Tannoys or the Canton CD-1's. Or are there other options in a similar budget?

The question is, will the amp overpower the smaller speakers, do I get a smaller amp or a different wife?

Plus, having looked around I'm convinced that Germany is the place to buy this kit - I don't mind doing payment in advance, does anyone have any recommendations or nightmares regarding suppliers?

Thanks in advance

Ian

2. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the RXV650,it's very good & have everthing u gonna need,also the RXV550 lakes some serious thing infort the 650/750 like the Stereo PureDirectMode & the 650/750 have better power supplyies (weights 1.5Kgs more than the 550)

what's the price range for the speakers???

if this price suits u : u can get
    this:http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=1038&lastid=3604
    i use similar setup with my 650 & they are very good,except i use the 8.4 for fronts & 8.3 for rears.

or u can go up a little & get those:http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3604&lastid=1038

3. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't use floor standing speakers, my wife, my 3 year old son and the 2 dogs all have different reasons why this wouldn't be pratical.

Another quick question on the 750 - does it have dual output for video? So I can either run to the plasma via composite, or the tv via s vid/RGB/scart etc? without having to chop and change (i.e. both could run at the same time with same picture)

Thanks

Ian

4. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian,

For the Yamaha DSP-AX750, if you set 'Video upconversion' to on, you can potentially output the video signals to three devices using the 'Monitor out' jacks if you use either composite or S-Video for the input, since either signal will be output through the composite, S-video and component output jacks. However, I think since the unit also outputs video signals through its VCR1 Out and VCR2 Out jacks, you could connect more devices, although these jacks can't upconvert and can only deal with composite or S-Video but not component. Bear in mind that the unit does not downconvert component video input to anything other than component video. Hence if you want dual outputs or more, your best bet would be to use either composite or S-Video as input into the amp and you'll get up to 5 video outputs (ie. one each from the Monitor out jacks - namely 1 component, 1 S-video and 1 composite; AND either 2 S-videos or 2 composites from VCR1 Out and VCR2 Out depending on the corresponding input).

So, in answer to your question, yes you can have dual video outputs, the best possible combination being S-Video as the input and Component and S-Video as outputs via Monitor out.

Regards,
    reservoir51

5. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it will be the 750, no point saving £80 and then regretting it in a year.

Just the speakers to go now.

Ian

6. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - on the final leg of choosing a sytem now.

I've persuaded my wife that goods subs cost a bit more and she has agreed on the MS Genies (result!).

I'm starting to edge toward the Yam 650 for the tuner, does being able to upgrade the signal to component out really improve the image from Sky, which is the only reason I would go for the 750? (regardless of the smug 'only £80 more' comment I made above).

Thanks

Ian

7. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By subs, I of course meant sats. Must stop this drinking at work :)

8. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Forget the 650 and it's tuner - use Sky for all your radio needs!

Get the 750, you know the bigger model is the one you have to have. ;)

9. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian, as someone who owned the Yam RX-V650 and who subsequently exchanged it for the DSP-AX750, I may have some comments which you may find useful. The 750 has the following advantages over the 650 and I will comment on them individually :

1) Component video upconversion : This facility serves more as a convenience (eg. by allowing all inputs into the amp to be output through a single connection to your main display monitor) rather than anything else. For one, the quality of the image is limited by the weakest link in the chain - which means composite input signals will retain their composite quality in spite of the 'upconversion' to S-Video or component.

2) Learning remote control : Now this is a facility worth having, in my opinion. The remote for the 650 merely recalls factory pre-set codes whereas the 750's has the ability to learn new codes or commands.

3) More juice (100wpc vs 95wpc)

4) Phono input : useful if you're into phono

5) Aluminium front fascia : as useful as a bicycle to a fish

6) Improved stereo performance in pure direct mode : Having listened to both models for hours using different genres of music, I am absolutely convinced that this is the case. According to reports (http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4569), the DSP-AX750 is an apparently improved version of its sister counterpart RX-V750, with upgrades to its power supply reservoir capacitors, internal wire gauge, audio signal path capacitors, output transistors, etc. and designed specifically for British ears. To me, its superior stereo performance alone is worth the extra expense.

If you're not bothered by the lack of a tuner, then I'd strongly recommend the 750 over the 650.

Regards,
    reservoir51

10. imichael

imichael
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so it sounds like the 750 is the way forward - it's the aluminium that swung it!

Has anyone compared the RX-V750 to the DSP? Might be useful to have the tuner, and save a bit of cash importing it.

Thanks

11. reservoir51

reservoir51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you trust reviewers, you might want to know that the DSP got a 5-star rating from What Hifi and a Best Buy kudos from Home Cinema Choice. Haven't heard much about the RXV750 though. I tried to demo it but couldn't get my hands on one in the UK. But in essence, I suspect they may be quite alike, with perhaps a few tweaks here and there.

12. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the 650 got 5/5 from HCCO.