Yellow

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by cedmondson, Apr 19, 2007.

1. cedmondson

cedmondson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +283
    Driving from Teesside to Hampshire a few days ago, I was struck by the vibrant yellow fields of rapeseed everywhere. The light seemed to make these fields appear almost fluorescent. I turned off the M40 & had a meander round the edge of the Cotswolds. I was disappointed with most results for different reasons. Standing in the middle of a yellow field doesnt make for good composition. The colours were also a bit of a let down.

After a bit of tinkering I quite like this one. I pushed the saturation quite high overall but created a copy layer then raised the saturation on the background to +36, and used a soft-edged eraser on the yellow field to give it a bit more impact. Comments please?

[​IMG]

2. Tobers

Tobers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +893
    I can see what you are trying to do with the composition. The wall leads to the gap which leads to the lines in the field, leading into the yellow field. Or vice versa. Clever use of lines - got the right ideas.

As a photo though, it's not overly inspring. The subject could be the wall, or the ploughed field, or the rapeseed field. Not helped by an uninspiring sky unfortunately.

I reckon you need to get right close up and fill the frame, or get a horizontal line of colours - green at the bottom, then yellow, then a lovely blue sky, like stripes maybe? There's loads of yellow fields around at the moment, so it's worth some time scouting around to find one that will give you a photo with some wallop to it.

Hope I haven't put you off!

Tobers