Yellow boxes - the law

Crispness

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi
Other than the Highway Code, can anyone recommend a page/site with some detail about the legalities of crossing yellow boxes. More precisely, crossing single lane yellow boxes and turning right?

Depends where you were caught (I'm assuming that's why you've posted)
Local authorities often enforce these now, so just a fine and no points.

TFL's info is here: Yellow box junctions

no I wasnt caught. TFL dont mention single lane boxes, which is my particular point of interest.

Put simply, unless you are turning right within the box, you cannot stop in it. I think that's the way the rule has been written.

Put simply, unless you are turning right within the box, you cannot stop in it. I think that's the way the rule has been written.

And only if turning right and that exit road on the right is clear.

You must not enter a box junction unless your exit is clear, except when turning right and you are only prevented from exiting the box by oncoming vehicles or another vehicle also turning right and prevented from doing so by oncoming vehicles. Applies to ALL yellow boxes.

You'd like to think so, but it doesn't even mention single carriageway yellow boxes.

So here's the scenario:
  • Main A-Road in approach to pedestrian crossing
  • B-Road crosses the main road, about 30m from pedestrian crossing
  • Yellow box on southbound carriageway of A-Road, extends across width of both carriageways of B-road
  • Traffic from B-road crossing A-road
    • W->E carrying on eastward along B-road
    • E->W turning right northwards along A-road
  • Who has priority?
    • Can E->W traffic cross box diagonally?
    • Or should they cross box (on southbound carriageway only) E->W and then turn right northwards along unboxed carriageway

Maybe a quick diagram might help, as I can't quite visualise what that means.
But to be honest, I would have thought the same rules apply regardless of the size of the yellow box.

Don't pull into box if exit is blocked
You can be in box if turning but are held up by oncoming traffic

Which route can the blue vehicle take?
And why?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.35.03.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 10.35.03.png
    607.3 KB · Views: 149
As far as the blue vehicle is concerned it should be treated as a normal junction, ie don't turn unless the road is clear. It's there to stop other vehicles blocking the blue and black car from proceeding. Neither of those cars should stop in it. As for which line blue should take, the one that means it isn't driving down the box :)

Sorry, edited my post: The same line you'd take at any other junction ie the one that gets you out of the path of oncoming traffic (to the right) soonest.

The shortest distance across the yellow box is directly straight ahead.
That would clear any southbound traffic (although that is stopped and cannot move forward because the way ahead isn't clear.)
What about oncoming traffic from the left?
Traffic turning right perhaps?
This is where a single carriage yellow box starts to differ from a dual carriageway box.

What about if both black and blue vehicles were turning right?
Should they go driver-to-driver?
Does the yellow box have any impact?

In the diagram, the black car has priority over the blue car, as the blue car is turning across the path of the black car. Both cars are on the minor road, with black crossing the major road and blue joining the major road.

However, just because the black car has priority over the blue car, it doesn't mean that:
a) the driver of the blue car is going to accept that and wait for the black car to go first
b) the driver of the black car isn't going cede priority and let the blue car go first

Hence proceeding with caution by both drivers is the best course of action.

Thanks, and where is that discussed in the Highway Code or legislation?
Are you saying that the Yellow box is pretty irrelevant other than providing a clear route?

It's only purpose is to prevent cars proceeding south from blocking the junction.

What about if both black and blue vehicles were turning right?
Should they go driver-to-driver?

Does the yellow box have any impact?

Look at Highway Code Rule 181 for this.

Thanks, and where is that discussed in the Highway Code or legislation?
Are you saying that the Yellow box is pretty irrelevant other than providing a clear route?

It's how learners are taught to drive. Until a few months ago I was a driving instructor.

There's lots of stuff online about it - just search on google for "priority at crossroads".

Not sure what you're trying to say here but from your question, the black car has priority over the blue car, maybe if you explain what's happened you'd get the answer.

Yes, clearly there is an underlying reason why he wants this question answered and rather than skirting around the issue it will be a lot less painless for all of us if we are told why. @Crispness?

In this example the turn right rule does not apply to the Blue car as the yellow box isn't on a lane where the blue car is travelling in. The Blue car is crossing the oncoming lane (which has a yellow box for another purpose).

I'd imagine there was an accident, and you need to determine who was at fault?

Looking at your initial diagram, both blue arrows are the same thing, just different angles of joining the road.

As DOBLY says above, I don't believe the yellow box has any meaning for you in this instance.

Blue car should only pull out when when all 3 ways are clear.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom