1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yellow blob on ae500

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by fallwood, Oct 4, 2004.

1. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have just noticed a slight yellow tinge on the bottom right corner of my screen , it appears to be circular and is only really noticable on a pure white screen (web pages etc), does this sound like a dust blob as most i've heard of seem to be green in colour . I did have this problem on my ae100 but it looked more like light coffee stains down one side of the screen and panasonic replaced the lcd panels and a few other bits to rectify it. My unit is ceiling mounted with about 6" clearance from the ceiling and the fan is on high mode all the time , could it be that ive not got enough ventilation as it seems a bit of a coincidence that both my projectors have exhibited the same problem.

2. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

sounds like the early stages of heat soak, i think its the blue polorizer that has been damaged by heat, this will occur overtime with some lcd projectorsm i had a similar problem with my old a100 but it only started to occur after 3000 hours use and i had my projector on for about 7 hours a day every day

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Ive only had it 3 months, seems a bit early to be getting heat damaged, like you say my ea100 showed the same prob at about 3500 hours . I do use the projector as my main tv so it gets some serious hammer (900 hrs so far in 3 months) and it does tend to be on for long periods of time (up to 10 hours at a time), panasonic assured me that this would not be a problem but im starting to disbeleive their claims. Is their any way this damage can be avoided (apart from not using it !!!) , whats the recomended safe usage times for an lcd unit.

4. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i would go back to them and ask for a replacement , my pj is mounted about a foot from the ceiling and about a foot from the back wall allowing for plenty of ventillation

5. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Still waiting for panasonic to collect my unit for repair, did get a replacement sent out but it had a dead pixel so sent it back and kept my original unit. Has anyone else experienced this problem with so few hours on the clock.

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    This probably isn't going to help your situation, but here goes anyway.....

I know that calibos (do a search if you dont know already) clocked up 5000 hrs on his AE300 with a similar running regime (900hrs in three months is 10hrs a day on average...) but has his pj running in low lamp mode with the fan on high. I would recommend this approach for extended running times, I do it with my AE100 even though it only gets occasional long sessions ( a couple of movies more or less back to back) - it's mostly one movie at a time. I don't believe that these machines are designed to be replacements for a TV - I know that some people think that they should be able to take extended running, and it's their choice to do so.

If you want to minimise the chance of heat damage with extended running, then I'd recommend the low lamp/high fan combination when you get your machine fixed, make sure you clean the filter every 100hrs and try not to have it running in excessive heat (like mounted directly over a radiator, for instance). With winter coming in and central heating on etc, you should bear in mind that the air at the level of the ceiling in a room will often be significantly warmer than at seating height, so the projector will be taking in quite warm air to begin with.

If this seems excessively fussy, then so be it....

Sean.

7. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the suggestions but I alrerady run it in high fan low lamp mode, the living room is climate controlled and is kept at a very even 21c ,air con and heating click in and out to regulate the temperature and the temperature only varies by a degree from floor to ceiling (air con blows in at top of room and heating is via radiators at floor level) . If thats not a perfect environment then i dont know what is.

8. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Still waiting, now the pj seems to have lost most of its brightness, picture is very dull even on high lamp mode, is this what happens as the damage gets worse. Ill be looking at a dark grey screen if panasonic dont hurry up and get my loan sent out and pick this unit up (nearly 2 months and counting) their customer service is S**te.

9. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm betting it is a bulb issue given the dimming you are now experiencing. 900 hours is not unheard of...

10. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well its finaly died, a loud fizzle and crackling sound then no picture. Good job ive just ordered a new ae700 , should be here on thursday , now to go head to head with panasonic over a refund for the 500 , ive had to buy another cos i know that when they finally pick it up it will be 6 weeks or more before its fixed, repair time and waiting for it to be picked up will total more days than ive actually owned it in good working order, to my mind that does not represent an item that is fit for the pupose it was sold for and as such i will be asking for my money back. Should be interesting , i can assure you i aint gonna to let this one slide (4 ae100's in 18 months and now this). Will let everyone know how i get on . Off to bed now to watch my 20" tv ,Boo Hoo!!.

11. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow....I'm surprised you're still going with Panasonic. I guess you can't really wait for a HS50 though..

12. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Im sticking with panasonic as i think it the best machine for the money (when it works) , as its used as my main tv i cant be without for too long as the missus and me start to get strained eyes from squinting at the 14" portable ive had to put in the lounge. Hopefully one day i will get a machine that will outlast its warranty without needing to be repaired, the longest ive managed so far with a unit is about 2000 hours (6 months) which i think is p**ss poor.