1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeehaa!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by CooperUK, Jul 2, 2003.

1. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    IT'S ARRIVED!!

My nice new panny ae100 delivered today, now going to set it up!

Just got to decide what to watch now....

Coop

2. SHASTEN

SHASTEN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    COOL 1st Film i would watch is THE LORD OF THE RINGS

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Watch starwars eps 2 it blew me away when i watched it on my z1 :eek:

4. KW1816

KW1816

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Nah - it has to be 'The Fifth Element', it seems when anyone posts a screenshot of their system Milla Jovovich is just about to jump :D :D :D

Cheers

Kevin.

5. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Decided to watch an episode of Band of Brothers - the one where they find the concentration camp: "Why We Fight".

All I can say is - wow - looks even better on a bigger screen.

Then watched a bit of what seems to be the standard test DVD - Monsters Inc. and again - wow.

I don't know how much better the more expensive PJs are - I'm sure there is a world of diff between a £600 PJ and a £5000 PJ, but I am very happy with what I have (no disrespect intended for the wealthier amongst us :D I'm only jealous!)

Thanks to all those who recommended this PJ and their sound advice/comments etc.

Coop

6. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thats the thing though Coop. There isn't a world of differance. Its the law of diminishing returns. You pay 2 or 3 times the price but you're not getting 2 or 3 times the picture quality or enjoyment. You're talking like maybe 10/20% improvements. Its up to the wealthier among us to decide whether its worth twice as much for a 10% improvement. As Marky said in another thread, I can't understand why anyone would spend more than £2000 on a projector.

The Ae100, reliabilty issues aside is an absolute steal for £600. It was even a steal when I bought mine last year for €2100 (STG£1400). I got a 90% refund for my AE100 from Panasonic this April and purchased an AE300. Having compared them both and although I love the AE300 and the benifits that its RGB scart socket, Smoothscreen and slightly higher resolution panel bring, I have to say that if I had to make a choice between an AE100 for 600 or an Ae300 for 1400, I'd have to think long and hard if the AE300 was worth the extra. And this is between 2 budget PJ's. Giving the choice between one of these and a 4-5000 PJ then no contest. The budget PJ would win every time.

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Very nicely put Keith and IMHO all absolutely true

BTW Coop, if u want your first big screen experience to be the best that DVD has to offer in terms of pictue and sound, it's would have to have been The Fellowship of the Ring Special Edition

Enjoy

Conor

8. gingercat

gingercat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Calibos: was this due to reliability problems? Mine has just gone for a second time now, and I'm wondering if it'd be worth trying to cut a deal with Panasonic to upgrade to a newer (hopefully more reliable) model.

9. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Mine was very reliable, in that it never went pop or failed to start etc over the 3150hrs I used it last year. I never got a Temp warning either. The problem with mine was very bad colour staining due to 'Heat Soak'. ie the insides/optics got cooked necessitating a virtually complete replacement of the PJ internals I'd imagine. Bert Coules in the UK had the same problem but Panasonic elected to fix his probably cause it was just about economical to collect and return to him for repair.

They couldn't seem to make up their minds in my case. One guy would say they'd collect direct from me in Ireland. The next guy would say, they'd only collect from my dealer. My dealer would try to send it and they'd say no, give it back to keith and we'll collect from him. This went on for 3 months. I think they realised they'd really messed me about and gave me the full refund as a gesture of goodwill. I've heard of a few other cases like mine but in general I think they'll try a repair in most cases rather than refunds.

I know we're not all made off money but at this new £600 price point and assuming that each £1400 PJ from now on drops to 6-700 after a year to 14 months following the Panny ae100 precedent, then we could all be upgrading every 2 years to the best budget Pj's(albeit a year out of date) around for a cost of 300 a year(£5.76 a week!!)