1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeeeee-haaaaaa! We're watching films!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by RichardH, Aug 23, 2002.

1. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After a lot of fiddling and tinkering, I got it all together last night, just as friends came to stay for a few days of film, food and beer.
    Was using the Toy Story THX tests to check the audio channels, so ended up watching that as the kids wouldn't let us stop, then sent the littlies to bed, and straight in to Lord of the Rings. Very pleased, and guests suitably impressed (mutterings of "....now if we had a screen that dropped down from the bay window.....").

Now what film's on tonight's program....

2. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess congrats are in order !!!

So what is on next!!!

Best Regards
    Amelia :D

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, the Sean Bean fanclub (i.e. my wife plus friend Sue) didn't take kindly to him dying in LoTR, so they've been off and got a Sharpe DVD. But Crouching Tiger is on the cards, with Harry Potter to keep the kids happy beforehand....

4. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Here's a couple of pics of the final view - contrast all shot to pieces - sorry. The screen cover is a home made Roman Blind, which needs a bit of refinement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LOOKING GOOD

How dark can you make the room during the Day??

I am currently aiming at 100% darkness if possible (not there yet).

6. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Those ceiling mounted speakers look good. Have you an address where I can get some.;)

7. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Shahinian Arcs if I'm not mistaken.

Allan

8. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Shahinians are the floor standers - a little pricey, sadly - I bought mine secondhand a few years ago. They do integrate very well, though, don't they - the floor is an oak (effect!!) laminate, and the speakers aree finished in oak, too.

The rears I'm using (mounted up to the ceiling) are Mission M77DS - they are superb, and a bargain at £99 per pair - they were originally around £200, but Richer Sounds now sell them for that price. They are discontinued, but well worth hunting out. The M70s and M7DS are similar, but I don't think they sound as good.

Not sure I had any pics of the ceiling speakers in place, so I've added some of the rear of the room

Amelia - the answer is it doesn't get very dark during the day - I may need to invest in some more blackout cloth to make some blinds for the window near the screen. Probably won't go too mad, as it'll be for kids' screenings - remember this isn't a dedicated room, like some lucky people have ;) , so compromise is in order!!

9. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Richard,

We had two lots of visitors today and as a result managed to clock up 8hours on it :D

It was a warm & sunny winters day here today and unfortunately a little sun light leaks into the room, reflects off the Tiles and then on the screen. I'm not too happy about it :( At the moment Sunny days aren't going to be good viewing.

I am going to try and achieve 100% light blockout.

In any case both parties left out home very impressed.

Checked out the pictures . . . looks good.

How big is the room? Looks like you could seat a good number.

Regards
    Amelia

10. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The room's a sort of L shape. The main "viewing area" is around 16' by 24', then there's a side bit to the right of the screen with a sink and fridge for refuelling :D

The friends we have over keep suggesting we get 3 rows of cinema seats in, but I don't think my wife's too keen (nor me, to be honest...). We've currently got 3 sofas in there, plus a load of floor cushions, so in theory we can seat a fair few, but the dog steals as much space as she can, plus people seem to have had a tendency to lie down on the sofas and hog them. Now which multiplex offers you that, then (or cups of tea in the interval!)

11. Amelia

Amelia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The one thing I didn't expect is just how much work the host does . . . Tea, Coffee, Cakes, Popcorn etc.