Yay PS3 will be here tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Playstation Forums' started by Waynej, May 1, 2007.

1. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Hopefully play get me the HDMI cable tomorrow as well, we shall see.

Anyway I'm thinking of what I'll be downloading from the PStore.

Demo's wise I want Ninja Gaiden, GT:HD and Virtua Tennis 3 (just to compare with the 360 version).

I've got my eye on Tekken 5 as well... so I'm assuming this is a port of a PS2 version or something - does it "look good" for a PS3 download or is it what I think it is and just a basic port?

For £6 I'm not expecting much, but I havn't played a Tekken game since Tekken Tag Tournament when the PS2 launched, so I'll very likely be downloading this as I loved Tekken 3.

What does Tekken 5 on PS3 offer, any online play?

I'm interested in Virtua Fighter 5 also, is there a demo for this?
    I will probably pick Virtua Fighter 5 up on the 360 as the PS3 version has no online play - I'm not saying the 360 version will have but I know Virtua Tennis 3 has no online play on PS3 and I jave the 360 version which I spend most of my time playing online - so online play is the big seller on games for me.

Still if there is no VF5 demo I'll probably rent it - with online play it would have been a purchase.

I've got Resistance and Motorstorm games ready and waiting to entertain me whilst I download all these lovely things in the background :)

2. winstano

winstano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    There's no VF5 demo...

Tekken download is right good. It's clear at some points its a PSP port, but it still looks very impressive... Not as good as VF though... I've seen footage of that running and it just looks amazing. There's no online with Tekken 5 though... May be in Tekken 6 when it's released...

RFOM and Motorstorm are probably the 2 best games out right now... They're stunning graphically, and RFOM's online mode is just awesome!

3. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Cool I read there is a Lemmings game to download as well, I take it this is not free? Do they allow you to try before you buy?

I havn't played Lemmings in years I can;t even remember what console I played it on, I think it was on the mega drive but I can't remember properly.

4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    hi wayne,

hope you enjoy yours ps3 when it arrives! the playstation store has a few downloads and demos. I think the demo idea is great, you can download F1, Vurtua tennis, Lemmings, Super Rub a dub, RFOM and a few more as demo's. They arent full games but give you a very good indication if their games you'd like to buy. If money is tight (like me) then you will want to pick games you know you will like, the demo;s allow this. I bought motorstorm with my ps3 and whiles its visually stunning, i just didnt like the gameplay. We're more of a pick up and play for few miuntes house so in that sense, games like virtua tennis, super rub a dub are great. Also very familly friendly in that anyone can play, our four year old can manage the tennis.. and loves it!

super rub a dub is fun and shows the ability of the six axis controller off to good affect as does Flow, its a slower mellow experience. A good chill out game. The F1 and Ridge Racer demo's are worth downloading as the GT HD demo.

I really wish Sony would get their finger out with the playstation store. There should be demo's for all games released on the format up there. We bought Virtua Tennis on the strenght of the demo, developers should catch onto the free marketing they will get from having a demo up there!

Maybe Sony are concentrating on the Home experience instead...

i think there's a strong market out there for smaller games with the 4.99 pricepoint for download..

5. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hope you enjoy PS3, the lemmings demo is good but only gives you 5 easy levels to conquor. Teken opening FMV is stunning.

I agree with the all games should have demos, at £40 ave per game a bit of look at what you will get is good marketing,

I have RFOM and am impressed, F1 is also graphically stunning, I also have Tiger Woods and this has been main play as wife can only play this :D RFOM is to complicated for her :eek: . We have played teken a bit as well.

We also kept the Buzz games as good family entertainmnet as we all like these, I know they are PS2 games but they are still good fun.

6. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Thinking of dropping some serious hints for tiger woods for my birthday.. is it easy enough to play?

7. da premiership

da premiership

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yup. Had my dad playing it and he isn't really a gamer, with him picking it up quite easily.

One of my mates is a big golf fan so we play it quite a lot, although he wasn't impressed when I got a three hole-in-ones in two days.:rotfl:

8. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    yes it is easy to play, although I have been used to the 3 button press on golf games, on TW you use the sticks for swinging, at first seemed hard but is quite good and certainly for me ups the enjoyment, I think the previous TW on PS2 was like this but I never played that.

The single player will certainly keep you busy, we play mainly against each other and is fun, you can also play on line,

9. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    There is no way VF5 will have online play on the 360 version. The PS3 version doesn't have it for a reason and that is that games like VF5 require too much precision and accuracy. Technically if they did include online play it would not be a 100% perfect due to lag. The developers did try it and decided to leave it out. Since it is a technical reason they are not going to include it in the 360 version either. More then likely it will be a straight port of the PS3 vesion so if you want it you might as well buy it now.

10. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    Well I'll wait and see, like I said without online play a fighting game isn't really worth buying for me as once I complete it and unlock everything (or try to) it will then get stuck on the shelf gathering dust. The only reason that makes me think Virtua Fighter 5 MAY have online play on 360 is the fact that the 360 version of Virtua Tennis 3 has online play on the 360 but not PS3.

If going by your logic, why then does Virtua Tennis 3 on PS3 not have online play but does on the 360?This plays fine for me without lag.

11. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I don't know the exact details but the developers had an official explanation regarding it not too long ago. Essentially it's because Tennis is not as technical as a one on one fighter like VF5 which is a lot more precise game play wise. Fighting games rely on individual frames regards the gameplay and VF5 more then others.

Even a very tiny amount of lag or delay would affect the gameplay. DOA 4 has online play but it's not perfect and suffers from lag and isn't very playable. The developers of VF5 are perfectionists and didn't want any imperfection in the online play to mar the game so they left it out.

In my opinion the PS3/PS2 controllers are a lot better for fighting games then the Xbox ones anyway. If you don't buy VF5 because it has no online play then you're missing out on one of the best fighting games ever released and it will be your loss.

12. Monkeyspoon

Monkeyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I read that online in fighting games is flawed due to lag too. Not buying a fighting game because you only play them online sounds a bit silly to me. I cant think of many online fighting games and not one was any good online. Virtua tennis isnt that brilliant online too with all the lag issues. Doubles is nearly unplayable. I kinda wish I bought the PS3 version now and got the better graphics.

13. Waynej

Waynej

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,337
    I recall hearing something about the comment from the deveopers regarding online play, it was in the gametrailers.com review of VF5. I know some games have lag but if its at all playable and occassionaly suffers from lag then it seems very lazy of them to not put in, I mean even if its not perfect having online play their would certainly sell more copies and keep people playing longer.

The games looks excellent I agree, but I will not purchase without online play as having multiplayer is what a fighting game is all about so unless you've got loads of different mates to play with in 2 player mode then its not really worth it IMO. So I'll keep it on my rental que at lovefilm.com and keep it until I complete then send back, I do love fighting games online though, while DOA4 had some very bad moments with lag it was still playable and was the mode I played in the most after defeating every I could in single player.

14. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Dead or Alive 4 on the 360 had online play. It is possible to have beat 'em ups with online play. Not tried it myself on the 360, however, I have friends who have it and not complained about play being laggy. I used to have Table Tennis on the 360 too and that was fine online in my experience.

15. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I've already mentioned DOA 4 having online play and I never said it wasn't possible. All I can say is that your friends are either easy to please or didn't notice the performance issues. It was far from smooth and did have lag issues. Even the Street Fighter Anniversary collection on the original Xbox had laggy online play and it's a 2D fighter. There is no way you can play a fighting game online without having issues as the gameplay is too precise. Like I said you can't compare other types of games as they do not have the same mechanics as fighting games. The fact is fighting games don'tt work well enough online compared to other types of games.

I'm not saying you can put online moded in fighting games but that it's hard to get it right given the technicalities behind online play with regards to ping, lag etc. Obviously the development team behind VF5 weren't prepared to ame that sacrifice and that is their call to amke. INHO people are way too much into online play these days and to refuse to buy a game which is otherwise a great game because it doesn't have that option is just plain silly. Like I said if people make that decision it's their loss.

16. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I have to say I play much more online than offline. I would say I spend about 90% of my gaming time online and 10% offline. I have a freind who is the complete opposite though and prefers solo play. Each person is different, but I do believe the future of gaming lies in the multiplayer elements. I find playing against a real person rather than a computer controlled 'bot' infinitely more rewarding. As I said though, each person is different. :)