• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Yawn, yawn, yawn! Sub £750 system. Thoughts?

T

The Duke

I have a need.
A need for a system (inc 2x speekers) that'll play cd and also pipe through the NTL set top box (films, tv and radio), so no doubt this has been covered many times before, but I thought I'd ask here and see what the thread throws up.
Appreciate your comments - thanks in advance even if it's a referal to a previous thread.

Tim

Tim

harv

Hi Tim

a few questions before everyone pitches in with ideas

1) do you want to progress to 5 ch set up in the future or stick with 2ch?

2) Floorstanders or stand mounts ?

3) and did you think the trichord clock was good value (just wondering)

nsherin

If you're after a good 2-channel stereo system, which at that price point will give you much better playback quality for music and decent sound from the NTL box, IMHO, I'd go for this:

NAD C320BEE amp - £220
NAD C521BEE CDP - £200
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 - £180
Mission Stancette stands - £60
QED Quenx 1 Interconnect - £20
QED Original speaker cable - say 2 x 2m runs @ £2.50 / m = £10

Total cost: £690

Should leave you money left over for some tunes and a few beers.

T

The Duke

a few questions before everyone pitches in with ideas

1) do you want to progress to 5 ch set up in the future or stick with 2ch?

2) Floorstanders or stand mounts ?

stand

3) and did you think the trichord clock was good value (just wondering)

difficult to tell this far into it!

harv

system 1) Marantz 7200 amp exdem £200 from sevenoaks, CDP rega planet £295 hifi trading station and monitor S1 or S2's (£200-50) depending on how big your room is.

or system 2) Arcam A65+ £200 (audio t), Arcam Cd82t £230 (audio t) and Quad 12's from central audio £300 slightly over budget

I've gone the 2nd hand route for max vfm

dynamic turtle

The Duke said:
I have a need.
A need for a system that'll play cd and also pipe through the NTL set top box (films, tv and radio)
Tim

Sorry tim, a bit confused by this, can you explain it more please? Sounds like you need either an offboard dac or av amp??

DT

T

The Duke

This was for some neighbours so I'll find out what they really want as at present they have a old stereo amp & 2x speakers playing cd and a small 5.1 speaker set up playing ntl & dvd's.
I'll find out more shortly!

Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom