1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yarland fv 34c III Any Good?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by S1MON, May 9, 2005.

1. S1MON

S1MON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello All,
    I've seen this amp kicking about on a few different sites (cheap) and i cant really find any decent reviews. Any one know anything about it or have one.

Cheers

2. istari knight

istari knight
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    yes, just bought one (£150)

its fab 4 the cash

3. Speedyj

Speedyj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How well does it manage to drive your speakers with its 12watts output and what speakers are they BTW ?

4. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this amp is amazing, for the money

so much better than any transistor amp, and i mean any

it has the valve magic

its cheap, as its made in china, and low powered

but 12w is ok, for speakers around 88-89db and upwards

at £ 150 its a bloody bargain of the decade !

5. istari knight

istari knight
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry about the delay !

anyhow..... :lesson: Ive now used 2 sets of speakers on it; some mordaunt-short ms815 floorstanders 250 watt 90db 8ohms and currently some kef cresta 10's 100 watt 90db 8 ohms (rooms too small for floorstanders) and it handled both well - quarter volume is adequate foe normal listening and half is too loud ! btw my room is 12 x 11 foot.

the only downside with this amp is the amount of inputs , only two ! but its okay if like me you like to keep audio separate from video.....

the sound , i would describe as very valve like (warm , soft etc....) but that doesn't mean it cant rock - I've played metallica's "black album" on my technics turntable and it was the best Ive heard it ( way better than the 1000 watt technics power amp i had previous to the yarland! :eek: )

anyway I'd say its the best amp Ive heard , tube or tranny under £300 and is perfect as long as you don't listen to clubland music etc....

whew !!! hope this helps :thumbsup:

p.s. if you are after one of these keep an eye on eBay (were i got mine) the bloke i got mine off sell them on there sometimes with the "upgraded" ally knobs and Russian military sovtek valves........

6. Kilo-Hotel

Kilo-Hotel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I also have this amp and many other valve amps. A nice way I found to improve the sound on my Yarland was to replace the four Sovtek EL84 with a matched set of JJ EL84 (one of the best sets of EL84's I have heard including NOS valves)

Cheers.

:thumbsup: