Yammy Fan Probs!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by gwbailey, Apr 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've got a 3 year old DSP-A1 amp that's got a problem can anyone help?

Right, when I switch it on after about 3 seconds the fan makes a loud whirling like sound....it's as if it is over heating (which it isn't) and the fan is then kicked in to cool it down! strange?

If you put your hand over the top of the Amp you can feel a rush of cool air coming out of the grill. All the rest of the Amp is working ok!

Can you help

Regards,

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a little unsure about what fan you are talking about. I had an DSP-A1 and there was no fan in it. The design is such that the heat sinks produce enough cooling on there own.

The noise could be from the transformer !

Phil

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Correct, no fan in my A1 either!? :confused:

4. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Correct no fan at all. Yamaha uses big heatsinks to dissapate heat from the unit.

Odd indeed.

5. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thats got me well miffed:confused:

Right, so if there is no fan, then why is there cool air blowing out of the top grill?

Unless I'm being totally thick here,but you can't get cold air blowing out of a transformer...noise yes! cold air no?

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Not to insult your intelligence, but are you sure it's a Yamaha DSP-A1? Any other equipment installed below it (containing a fan)?

Weird indeed if it's an A1, else your AV rack may be haunted ... :D

7. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Funny!!!

I do like a sense of humour..:D

Well, I am going to e-mail and phone Yamaha tomorrow because there is deffo something going on here!

I still reckon there's a fan in there somewhere...it's the only reason for the cold air?

There is a thread going on in the Sky+/Tivo forum now and there is a guy who reckons that his Sky+ box has got a fan that is activated when the box gets too hot. Now I'm thinking that my Yammy has got a fan that is only activated when the heat sinks get too hot?

Although mine is not over heating,I reckon there is a fault/short which is tricking my Yammy that the heat sink is getting too hot...therefore the fan kicks in to stop it from frying!

Have you guys been inside your Yammys to see that there is no fan?

8. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,439
    As far as I know the A1 uses convection cooling. BUT assuming you do not have a draft in your HT then , maybe you have a slightly different (non UK) model.
    I bought an RXV 2092 in Kuwait, and this contains a fan. The software gives it a short spin everytime you switch on. I guess this is done to make sure it doesn't stick over time.

By the way my fan has NEVER actually been used to cool the system during normal showings or even moderately loud music. As a matter of interest I did run the thing hard with all channels at very loud levels and it did kick in eventually. (I think it has 3 or 4 speeds depending on the temperature rise on the output transistor heat sinks. This was unbearably loud! with 5 channels of 100watts and two front effects channels running.
    I don't think any UK models have fans.

9. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right,

Today I phoned Yamaha-Audio who put me through to the head of their technical service department. I then spoke to a man called David? (can't remember his last name) I told him my problem at which point he said it was the fan kicking in! what fan I said? telling him that a bunch of muppets said there's no fan in Yamaha amps!!

Oh yes there is he said! where? I said...under/on, the transformer! which transformer? the one for the main mains power which is at the back left hand side of the amp!

So that explains it then doesn't it I said...yes he said!

It's there for when the transformer gets VERY hot and is run by a thermostat, which in my case must be faulty because it shouldn't come on unless it's over heating (which it's not!)

No fans indeed:D :D

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Well, if there is indeed a fan than I am very surprised - I have never encountered that it actually kicks in and Yamaha has always said there is none (most likely they were referring then to the amplification / heatsinks only).

To err is human but no reason to call us "a bunch of muppets"; our responses have been friendly and we tried to be helpfull, thus I don't see any reason to insult us. So take this as a warning to behave ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.