1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammy DSP-AX750SE and some banana plugs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dstev2000, Feb 3, 2005.

1. dstev2000

dstev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my nice shiny amp but it doesnt appear to be able to take banana plugs in the back, there are holes in the speaker terminals but they are way too small for the 4mm jobbies,

any ideas or solutions?

Cheers,

Dan.

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the 750 is anything like our 1000, the centers of the connectors push in to take 4mm banana sockets - something to do with european safety laws or something.

Gary

3. dstev2000

dstev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the red/black plastic caps have a small hole in the centre which is like 2mm, i take it a good shove is required to make the 4mm type go in (ooer missus :eek: )

I am just not too keen trying to force the posts for fear of breaking them :rolleyes:

4. fama

fama
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    most speaker terminals are blocked to comply with eu rules
    some completely with a small plug or in yamaha's case partially
    youll find there is asmall central ring of plastic which breaks off
    out the way, with a small screwdriver etc be assured banana plugs do fit

5. dstev2000

dstev2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent! thanks very much for that, I will buy some tomorrow :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Another solution adopted in France can be seen here.

7. OneEyedStuart

OneEyedStuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Yep had to do this on my 630. Push in gently with a small screwdriver then clean the edges with a thin craft knife. Worked very well.

KH

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah, I have banana plugs on all my speaker cables and they fit fine in the back of the 750.

9. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think those small holes are intended to let air easily escape from the banana socket as the outer caps are attached in the factory, so it won't get trapped inside the cap and act like a spring. You're not really supposed to break through the plastic, even if that may work.

You're not really supposed to remove the outer caps either, and they're fixed pretty tightly, but it works since the terminals are designed to be used without any outer caps mounted if preferred by the manufacturer. The speaker terminals just happen to be the same type and designed to have caps with or without holes for banana plugs, or no caps at all. The US versions of the receivers apparently have caps similar to the other versions, but with holes for accessing the banana plugs without removing the caps.

I was told by a dealer the easiest way to remove the caps is to unscrew them a little, put a coin behind them and pull backwards. At that point I had removed them on my receiver already, so I haven't tried this myself.

You can see how the variations of the speaker terminals look on the component manufacturer's web site, which might also be helpful in determining if your receiver has any hidden banana sockets before you go postal on the terminals. :)