1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammy DSP-AX750 but can't decide on speakers??

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Joseph Ingram, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Joseph Ingram

Joseph Ingram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

My first post, so hello to all, great forum.

I'm having real issues with deciding what speakers to choose. I really like Mordaunt-Short speakers and am thinking of getting the Avant Premiere Plus settup. My room is around 15fx15f. I know the DSP-AX750 has been known to be quite strong on the music side. What are peoples views on the Premiere Plus with music?? I know its not going to be awsome, but is it still good? I don't have much cash, but I was thinking that if I wasnt happy with the two front sats I could replace them with the Avant 902s (£120 thats about all I could afford). But do you think the 902s would make much difference in stereo and would they fit in with the other existing kit.

Your thoughts guys would be greatly appreciated.

Ta

Joe

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The MS setup is very good but wont beat a bookshelf/floorstander for music.
    If you replace the mains with bigger speakers you should also replace the centre with a larger MS one to keep the sound the same.

Dont be tempted to buy the non plus system as the 309 sub is seriously worth the extra money.

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joseph, have a look at Jake James Canton speaker offer, excellent musical speakers at bargain price.

Buy a Canton CD1 set (5.1) and 3 CD50 speakers for about £500. You use the CD50s as full-size fronts and centre, use two (or possibly three) CD10s for rears and the two remaining CD10s for presence speakers.

4. mediahub

mediahub

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also have the AX750 and I'm well pleased with it but I had the same problem of deciding what speakers I should go for to complement it. I eventually got the MS Plus system as recommended by members of this forum as I don't have the room for floorstanders and suchlike.

And the extra money for the Plus setup is worth it. The upgraded sub is absolutely magnificent. I've been re-listening to cd's I've not played in ages and they've all taken on a new dimension! Fantastic.

I have a similarly sized room as yourself so would definitely recommend these speakers if space is a concern.

5. Joseph Ingram

Joseph Ingram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello chaps,

Thanks for your replies. The Mordaunt-Short setup does look great, money wise and from what people have said, although now I've also been looking at the Mission m30i Cinema setup. How'd do you think these compare? I can't find anywhere near to me that has these for testing. Right down low in cornwall, falmouth, very little in terms of stereo shops down-errrrr ;).

What you recon?

Many thanks,

Joe

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Joe, the main reason I mentioned the CD50s was that they're full-size, wall-mountable speakers so should sound better with music than satellites.

If music is important I'd really recommend fullsize fronts and centre, none of the satellites I listened to really sounded "big" enough for me - not enough midrange. This included the Genie's and Kef eggs...

I've got a system based around Mordaunt Short 906s and they sound great with music but are a bit beyond the budget you were talking about, the Cantons should be closer to budget.