1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammy DSP-AX620....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Thompson, May 31, 2001.

1. Thompson

Thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After months of skrimping & saving finally got enough to move in to the wonderful world of Home Cinema for real.
    I'm currently looking at this new Yammy as the A5 is now no longer availible it seems in Birmingham. Anyone know anything about the DSP-AX620 its the replacement for the A5 & is willing to share their knowledge.

Its 50quid more than the A5 at 400 notes, is it worth it.

Thompson

2. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Thompson,

I'm also after the 620 (or the 620RDS version). You should be able to get it for nearer the £300 mark if you shop around.

Check out www.audioreview.com for some customers comments on the 620.

3. Thompson

Thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for responding Jules.

Coud'nt find the amp any cheaper than 399, not willing to commit to anything online, call me paranoid or tell me I watch to many movies, anyway I bought it.

Have not had the chance to set it up for Home Cinema yet, but I've been running it in playing CD's (Marantz 63E) in 2 channel stero (Anologue).
    Very solid sounding amp, deceptively load because there is no distortion at high lvl. well, until the speakers can't deal. It's very good in stereo. With an excellent range and very good imagry. Controls my Sony 176s's with some authrity, it's brought them to life.

The remote is a bit twiddly & without a TV it can be clumsy when going through the options for set up. You also have to crank the volume knob up a bit before it really starts to kick in.

If you can get it closer to 300, go for it. Only thing to do now for me is get the perfect speaker package to match.

Mission 73 for fronts
    Mission 71 for rears
    mission centre (?)
    Sub - will have to see

Thompson

Thompson

4. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Just ordered myself the DSP 620 (£299). This will go with my new Tannoy MXAV4 speaker package. can't wait.......

I plan to keep my Marantz CD63 for CD's and my Sony 535 just for DVD's.

JulesH

5. Thompson

Thompson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me a moment, 299. I think I'll go sit down, I feel sick.

But before I go, it sounds stunning using coax(PCM) if you running the Marantz through it, effects off. I wait for the reviews with baited breath.

299..... oh man.

Thompson

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: Thompson ]

6. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Couldn't resist at that price :cool:

Good to hear it sounds great for music, I plan to ditch my stereo amp (Marantz PM44SE) when I get it.

7. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    I think some of the responses here are confused between the new DSPAX620 amp, and the older RXV620RDS Reciever.

I have been trying to find info on the DSPAX620 myself. It isn't even listed on Yamaha's web site. But is listed for sale at several on-line shops.

8. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What Hifi went all fluffy over it and rated it over the Denon 1801 in the their new issue.

It looks exeptionally well screwed together as well.

Cheers

Jim

9. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    JulesH

Where did you buy a DSP620 for £299?
    Most places seem to have it around £340-50, from a retail of £399

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that Yamaha only output a "pseudo" matrixed Es/Ex, with no actual connection for a rear centre speaker?

11. JulesH

JulesH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think it's a bit strange of Yamaha not have it listed on their web site.....

Having got my DSP620 this week, it sounds great with 2ch music (still waiting for my new AV speaker package to be sent before I can test the 6.1).

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received delivery of my DSP AX620 last friday and am most impressed by it, if you are familiar with the A5(i had one) you will notice the over all improvement, especially in 2 channel music.

I'd most certainly reccomend this machine..but shop around to find that friendly price ;)

Also check out the new issue of WHAT HI*FI? SOUND AND VISION(new name) where the AX620 gets a 5star rave review ;)

BTW i bought mine from HiFi Store for a bargain £299.95, part of a bank holiday special :)

13. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am also going to get a yamaha DSP-AX620 probably in the next week or so.

I dont have any speakers and I just can't decide what to get. I want a 5.1 setup, it will be used mostly for DVD's but I will play the odd cd as well.

Any reccomendations to go well with my AX620?

I want something £700 or below.

Thanx

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This months What HiFi does a "Supertest" with the AX620 coupled with the NEW KEF KHT 2005(T3 Review) and by the sounds of it work very well together and the KEF' look fantastic..they do have a street price of £800 but i'm sure you'll find some online for about £700.

15. Ewok

Ewok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at getting the RXV620, 2 shops say its identical to the AX620 but with RDS, is this true? Because I one of these shops is selling the RXV620 for £328 and the AX620 for £350. If they are IDENTICAL other than RDS then I will get the RDS version.

Anyone know?

16. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also love to know where I can find this amp for £299 Jules, don't hold out tell us, best I have seen is £325 @ Richer Sounds, (£328 for RDS version) can anyone do better than that? I am trying to find somewhere that will demo it for me.

Also anyone know what the Sevenoaks in Liverpool is like, haven't been in yet, but am hoping it isn't all out of my price range, all that had in the window was a Loewe t.v. and some Tag speakers.

Rgds,

Damien

17. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would also love to know where I can find this amp for £299 Jules, don't hold out tell us, best I have seen is £325 @ Richer Sounds, (£328 for RDS version) can anyone do better than that? I am trying to find somewhere that will demo it for me.

Also anyone know what the Sevenoaks in Liverpool is like, haven't been in yet, but am hoping it isn't all out of my price range, all that had in the window was a Loewe t.v. and some Tag speakers.

Rgds,

Damien

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this new model any better than the dsp-a5, if so how? I was just about to buy the dspa5 when they spring a new model on me!!

19. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would also love to know where to buy this amp for £299???
    im just getting round to buying a DD & DTS capable amp and i find that yammy and pioneer both have new amps out this year (been a while since i looked on the home cinema scene ;)

id like to go for the yammy DSP AX620 ideally

20. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Myself(aka Silent Bob) and fellow(DVD Forums) compadre JulesH bought our DSP AX620' from HI Fi Store when they were available for the bargain price of £299.95 for a few days only!

You'll be very lucky indeed to find one for that price now, i'd snatch one for £225 at Richer whilst you can...Still a £75 saving off the high street price ;)

21. damienb

damienb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Just tried Richer Sounds for the amp. Rang the Liverpool store, they only had the display model in stock. And in store they are charging £379.95 :eek:

So I went to the web site and phoned the number there, only to find that this was infact the Mail Order number, not a web order, and the price there was also £379.95 :eek:

After that I looked at buying on the web, and it then adds a £8 something delivery charge. So the cheapest Richer Sounds actually sell it for is £333, and it is then delivered in 7 days, PROVIDED they have it in stock, but they don't tell you if it is! :mad:

Having once been a Richer Sounds fan, I am now feeling a little tainted by this. Also I can't believe that some of you managed to pick up this amp for £299, you lucky sods!

So anyway, has anyone actually tried buying anything from the Richer Sounds web site? And if you have had any problems, how do they resolve them? Failing this, has anyone else seen any good prices for this amp, as now I have read the What HiFi, I MUST have one.

Help,

Damien :(

22. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,104
    I bought some Mission 700 speakers from the richer sounds web site - what a palarva!

I didn't hear anything for a while after ordering so I called their after sales number (You leave a message and they call you back).
    They do call back and they're pretty helpful.
    They had a lot of problems with the courier
    (Business Express).
    BE claimed to have tried to deliver and left a card - I was actually in, they didn't try to deliver and there was no card.
    Then BE lost the first pair (they're still somewhere at the depot in New Cross according to their online tracking ;)
    Richer Sounds say they sent a second pair which also didn't turn up.

Eventually RS taxied a pair to me at work from a store. Unfortunately they were picked up and taken into my bosses office as he was expecting something to be delivered and he was out. That lead to some pretty tense conversations between me, RS and the taxi company!

When push came to shove, RS did a sterling job of sorting out a mess that their delivery people made.
    They even called the day after to make sure the speakers were what I wanted and then they refunded the delivery costs - you can't say much fairer than that on a set of heavily discounted speakers.

Their courier was pants and its unfortunate (but understandable) that they insist on delivering to the card holder address. Most of us who can buy expensive toys work to pay for them and aren't at home when your average courier tries to drop something off.
    The guys on the phone were great and I would definitely use them again despite the trouble I had.

AMc