Yammy DSP-A592

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by alextgreen, Apr 20, 2001.

1. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The sadness of my trusty Kenwood amp blowing up last week was a short lived period of sadness, as i realised it was a great excuse to upgrade! My local Hi-fi shop (Harrow Audio) had a Yammy DAP-A592 on sale for £150 (a steal) so I just put down a deposit to collect it next week. Does anybody else own/has owned this model of amplifier? I am interested to learn about other's experiences with this toy, particularly relating to reliability, but also how good it is at cheesing off the neighbours. Cheers. :D

2. marcoeser

marcoeser
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi alex,
    I've had the 592 for a many years now & been quite happy, except its not too good at bass level. I have Kef Speakers: Q55 main, Q95C, Q15 rears. recently I've added a Rel Strata III & couldn't believe the difference. GET A SUB. Be sure to get a DVD player with 6 outputs I've got the sony 735, excellent, but doesn't play CD-Roms, but for now I've hooked up my old playstation to the 592, its OK.
    I hope this has helped, marc :D

3. Stick

Stick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the A592 for three years until october last year, it never let me down, not even any quality problems. I was using a Panasonic DVDa350 (with the all important onboard decoder). Pick up a Sony DVP735 if possible & i know that will keep you happy!.
    I Don't agree with the others claims to its lack of bass (but as you will read on other posts here alot depends on room size, speaker positioning etc, etc.). Obviously though you will need a sub.
    One point to note is that this amp does not have an equal power output across all channels, (Front L,C,R channels being 70watts a piece and 2x35watts at the rears). In my opinion this meant choosing the right speakers for rear duties. There are a great selection out there it is happy with, but you do not want any that take alot of driving. (I was using paradigm micros)
    You may like to see the review on this amp that appears in the Test Bench section on this very site!!
    I'm sure you'll enjoy the amp!!

Stick
    PS. there is more than enough neighbour annoyance power there!!!!!!!

[ 21-04-2001: Message edited by: Stick ]

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    aaagh! apparently they made a mistake on the label they put on the amp, it should actually have been a 492 (less power, no 6line inputs). I am not sure if I should go ahead now, it is still £100 off, but it is stuck at being pro-logic. I can't afford a new DVD deck for a while so It doesn't look like a DD upgrade will come any time soon (maybe this time next year), but is the 492 still worthwhile? I might just go back and ask for my deposit or the model I was told I was getting, and see what they say. Oh well, the hunt continues (D'oh!). I suppose I can always try for a second hand one, anybody? :confused:

5. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One ore thing, I read the reviews of both the 492 and 592 right after I put my deposit down. I wanted to know what it was like in real life though, not just on the test-bench.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 2 years ago I was in the same position as you, considering to go for pro-logic or dd. I spent a little more and went for dd. There is no comparison. All I can say is that whatever you get whether s/h or new go for dd at least. Especially if you'll be hanging on to what you get for a while. It's such a well established sound format.
    Even if you have to wait a while longer, go for Dolby Digital/DTS
    :)

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way I have been using the Yam DSP595.
    I have had nothing but fun with it.
    I'm in the process of upgrading to a Yam A1.
    It's all part of the fun I find, slowly upgrading each bit of the setup peace at a time. :D

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or even "piece" at a time. :eek:
    Back to school :eek:
    :p

9. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    About 90% of my use is for music. Walking through my front door you will almost always hear rock music coming from upstairs. I'm the ind of eprson who has a gargantuos MP3 playlist set to 'repeat all' (Because my CD deck only takes one disk). I do have a few DVDs (10), but the player is in my PC and cannot chuck out DD at all. I don't think I'll be able to afford a DD amp anytime soon though, I listened to the Sherwood models, and they weren't up to much compared to more expensive examples (And I don't want another second-hand one to blow up on me). I think I will get this amplifier, as right now I am stuck with my headphones and can't play any of my games consoles without undoing a big jumble of cables (no fun). I'm sure DD will come eventually, but right now I am not majorly concerned (especially as sharing a room means lousy speaker positioning). The yammy has great sound quality, and as CD's are in stereo I think it will be fine for now, it definitely sounds a whole load better than the DD amps in my price range. :)

10. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the 592 for just over two years now and have been very pleased with it. I am replacing it with a Denon 3801 very soon but the Yamaha has been great, especially using it with a DVD player with on-board Dolby Digital decoder.

I agree with Marc about the sub - it makes a huge difference to the sound, not only when watching DVDs but also TV and PlayStation.

Regarding reliability, I have had no problems whatsoever and as for the power output lets just say it certainly has the ability to annoy your neighbours! I hope this is of help.