1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammy dsp-a5 sub-out problem

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mat-Moo, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well my wife called me in the other day, and my sub was making a low humming sound. So I went in and thought my sub amp was buggered (home built had problems with it before), however testing on another amp - it works fine. My dad says that it could be a ground loop problem? but why would it just start like that, nothing has changed? Ideas welcome :(

2. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    all i can suggest is taking some spare speaker wire and baring it at both ends and connecting it to a screw on the amp panel and the other end to the ground terminal on your amp. If you have no ground terminal on the amp do the same as on the sub and slightly unscrew one of the screws on the back of the amp and attach the speaker cable and tighten back up

3. giger

giger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Weird how it should just start but it sounds like a grounding prob. I experienced this when I swapped my paradigm sub for a celestion one on my Yamaha RXV 596 (receiver version of the A5). I fixed this by doing what cityonfire said, there is a ground connection (meant for phono) on the back of the amp that you can use to solve the problem.

It may be worth scratching away some of the paint under the screw terminal on the sub so you have a proper contact.

All I had lying around the house was some thin multi stand AC/DC mains cable (6 strand?) but it did the trick.

4. Mat-Moo

Mat-Moo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'll give it a try - still confused as to why it should just happen one day. Unless there is a dry joint or issue with teh sub ground internal to the amp.