Yammie 2500 too hot to handle!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jackam, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my new Yamaha 2500 last night. What a stunning piece of kit. The auto calibration is excellent and I was fully up and running within 30 mins of opening the box. If, like I was, you are in two minds about upgrading from a golden oldie like the Sony DB930, do so, the difference shocked me.

One possible issue, it runs HOT, very HOT! When I set the fan to continuous it still doesn't cut in. Are there any other 2500 owners out there that can confirm that this is a fault?

Thanks,
    Mike.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Theres a fan option :rolleyes:

How much distance do you have between the amp and its surroundings, i've give mine about 15 centermeters above and has nothing to it's sides or back. The glass shelf above it does get quite warm over time, but it's not too bad in my experence.

3. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The fan option (cont./auto) appears if you hold the 'straight' button when turning the unit on. My amp is on the top shelf, so plenty of air can get to it.

4. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The other day I ran a little endurance test for my 2500 (which is well ventilated): a two-hour long seven-channel stereo programme, consisting of the Matrix soundtrack album and the Rachmaninoff piano concert, at -15dB, all speakers set to Large (and with Presence speakers also on). I put a thermometer on top of the amp, and at the end of the session it displayed 55º Celsius (around 130 Fahrenheit for the SI-challenged).

5. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...which I guess made the top feel hot to the touch. Do you know if the fan cut in at all?

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Mine never has, i'm guessing the electronics part never gets hot enough to cause a problem where as the power amp part might get hot, but it matters less.

7. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peter Tyson just called back, they have been on to the Yamaha service center. It is designed to run at up to 60 degrees and they have never got the fan to cut in yet!?! So, not an issue then!!

8. Ninjaman

Ninjaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I glad you are happy with your 2500......when I compared it with my pioneer 2011s realised its short comings in CD, DVDA, SACD playback and biamping.

I dont know but the Pioneer 2011 has and emcompassing sound, very 3 dimensional and plays music effortlessly. In movie mode the same tendencies caried over, the yamaha doesnt seem like it was tuned, very spitty sound and low frequencies wasnt tight like the pioneer. Also the yahama cant biamp with its internal amps.

Despite the excellent features of the 2500, the bottom line for me was sound and it was a distant second. So I think I will stick to my pioneer 2011s for now.

9. Jackam

Jackam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One mans meat...I guess. I pre-out the fronts to my 'proper' hi fi, so I'm not sure how good it is with other inputs/formats. With movies and TV however, it leaves me grinning like a Cheshire cat!

10. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Good for you Jackam!

Not the nicest post ever there Ninjaman. :rolleyes:

11. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Yeah, definitely hot. And no, no fan at all. I guess it's for emergency only. Or maybe with 4-ohm speakers.

12. Ninjaman

Ninjaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, but i didnt want to sound too harsh........for what its worth I think the yahama has some good features ( auto cal, video upconv, remote, more digital inputs, better audio zone 2/3 features, menu, surround formats, looks) and pioneer wins in sound better performance ( ability to truly biamp the fronts and build quality) however, though the margin is great in stereo/multichannel audio modes it is closer in surround modes (imo).

I bought my yammy from germany to replace my pioneer because i wanted something new and price was too good. I have always had yamaha receivers, in fact, I have yamaha 795a in the attic gathering dust. I invested alot of time to test them both over the weekend....even though I wanted to keep the yamaha it would only be for the wrong reasons.

Mind you, the pioneer vsx 2011s + 2 year old receiver and is lacking features that may be more important to you than me.

13. Grubert

Grubert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Very nicely put, but what on earth does this have to do with the Yamaha 2500 getting hot? :nono:

14. Ninjaman

Ninjaman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got carried away, not enough work at work, i guess. :D

15. machinehead

machinehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    iv'e had the 2500 for 3 weeks now.i also bought from www.tsn in germany.it's well ventilated and doesn't run too hot.it's on all the time.yes it's a great receiver and it it is good with music.remember an album is only as good as the producer has made it.some good some bad.i think my yammy is excellent and i don't give a fig what anybody else thinks.for £550 it's the muts nutz.end of debate.

regards machinehead