1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yammaha AX-1 gone funny

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Neil69, Jun 29, 2003.

1. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :suicide: :suicide: HELP please!!! I have a Yamaha AX-1 with a funny fault. The left front channel doesn't work with ANY digital inputs. It's OK with analog phono inputs. I had a problem like this 8 months ago. I rang Yamaha & explained the fault. The bloke I spoke to was baffled. He told me to ring my local Yamaha agent to let them have a look at it. Naturally, they found no fault as when they plugged a fibre optic cable into it from a DAB unit & it worked. So I thought nothing of it & brought it back home, as it worked, until now. Has anyone had this kind of fault with an AX-1? Any suggestions will be helpful.
    Cheers, Neil.
    :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you've tried using all the digital inputs (and none work) -optical and coaxial? and the analogue inputs work I would probably guess the left front channel DAC, or something along the digital left front channel PCB path is faulty.

I take it you've changed the left & right speakers over and checked speaker cable, balance, channel level etc?

3. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Cheers Nathan for posting your reply. I have tried everything bar dropping it from a great height!!!!!
    Neil

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    The channel DAC will (normally/usually) be employed in both analogue and digital stages unless true bypass is engaged.

Steven

5. BabylonP

BabylonP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    This may be a long shot but I had a channel go on my old AX1. The problem was the preout terminals on the back. It was a known fault that in some cases the relay would close as if you were using a seperate power amp on the channel, the net effecti is that the onboard power amp gets disconnected. I had to have all my imputs upgraded at a Yamaha dealer.

I was told you can reset the fault by pushing a plug in and out of the terminals a few times this resets the relay.

As I said a long shot

Phil

6. Neil69

Neil69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks, Phil. I had all the pre ins & outs changed about a year ago. I've tried connecting them all together again but I've had no joy.
    Cheers, Neil