Yamha DSP AX1 still decent in 2021?

hifibifi

Standard Member
Reaction score
hello,

Is the Yamaha DSP AX1 still a decent amp in 2021?
I want to use one in my living room at the TV for dolby and listening music
Would appreciate any opinion

Thanks in advance!

My speakers are : B&W DM330i for the front and Dm110i for the rear and I have 2 subs for rear and front + a B&W Center speaker

Or should I consider something more modern ? I dont want to replace speakers , only the amp.

hello,

Is the Yamaha DSP AX1 still a decent amp in 2021?
I want to use one in my living room at the TV for dolby and listening music
Would appreciate any opinion

Thanks in advance!

My speakers are : B&W DM330i for the front and Dm110i for the rear and I have 2 subs for rear and front + a B&W Center speaker

Or should I consider something more modern ? I dont want to replace speakers , only the amp.
It depends. It's obviously a bit of a museum piece now, so for TV/Movie purposes will not be capable of the latest codecs and upmixers, which may or may not be important to you.

For music, AVRs are not the best, a stereo amp would give you better results, but for convenience there is no reason why you shouldn't use it as such - I am sure that the stereo sound quality would compare favourably with modern AVRs.

About a year ago I picked up a stop-gap AV amp to tide me over for a little while. I managed to pick up a Yamaha DSP-Z7 for about £140, which still sounds pretty damn good. I went with this model as I wanted HDMI switching - I only have one UHD source and that’s routed directly to the TV, so the second HDMI out on my player routes audio to the Z7.

I also picked it up with a view to it becoming the heart of a retro games console system, so needed composite, S-video, component, and a few HDMIs for the consoles that offered the option. If I didn’t need HDMI, I’d have gone with an AX1 or AX2.

I think I indeed need a more modern AVR with HDMI. I really would like to use the same speakers as I have now. If there is not a analog input / composite / minijack I could use the SA508 for that which I also use for the Lenco L78 Vinyl Player. I want to reduce the amount of cables. So for the dolby, in combination with a more modern amp with HDMI would like to find out if there is a way I can use a wireless transmitter for the rear DM110i's .

The DSP AX1 is also so big and heavy :(

How do you mean? I thought someone else said this amp is not better than many modern?
I think @davidf means build quality and overall audio quality that came from these old units that were so very well put together. They cannot actually compete now as they were only able to decode SD audio streams unlike modern AV amps that have the ability to decode all HD audio, Atmos and DTS:X and more.

As well built and reliable as old amps were, your Yamaha proves that, I would not have any hesitation in going for a modern amp because of the quality of the audio streams now on offer and the HD audio formats are so much better.

I think @davidf means build quality and overall audio quality that came from these old units that were so very well put together. They cannot actually compete now as they were only able to decode SD audio streams unlike modern AV amps that have the ability to decode all HD audio, Atmos and DTS:X and more.

As well built and reliable as old amps were, your Yamaha proves that, I would not have any hesitation in going for a modern amp because of the quality of the audio streams now on offer and the HD audio formats are so much better.
Thank you for your info. The only thing is that I have several of them and all have issues. It really pissed me off as it is expensive to repair and the parts are hard or not to get.

How do you mean? I thought someone else said this amp is not better than many modern?
Just that most amps that are around 10 years old onwards preceded all the modern bells and whistles you get on current AV receivers that eat into the limited budget, leaving less and less for quality amplification. They won’t compete on modern formats and up to date DACs, but they have plenty of genuine “oomph” behind them, and possess some dynamic capabilities that modern amps tend to lack, despite claiming high wattage outputs.

Thank you for your info. The only thing is that I have several of them and all have issues. It really pissed me off as it is expensive to repair and the parts are hard or not to get.
If all the Yamaha’s I’ve ever owned, only one (a DSPA-X1) had an issue, which was a doggy connection on one of the channel pre-outs. There’s plenty of used Yamahas out there, so picking one up for spares should be quite easy, even if it’s not fully working as long as the parts you need are still working.

If all the Yamaha’s I’ve ever owned, only one (a DSPA-X1) had an issue, which was a doggy connection on one of the channel pre-outs. There’s plenty of used Yamahas out there, so picking one up for spares should be quite easy, even if it’s not fully working as long as the parts you need are still working.
Is there any more modern amp that is smaller and more leightweight and has HDMI that is better or same quality as the AX1?

Is there any more modern amp that is smaller and more leightweight and has HDMI that is better or same quality as the AX1?
Yes. Many. Pioneer and Nad AVRs use Class D power amplifiers which make them smaller and lighter than more traditional Class AB amps.

What other requirements do you have for a replacement AVR, and how much do you want to spend?

Not really, they were big for a reason, which is mainly to do with amplification components. You can look to Class D AV amplifiers, which in theory could be smaller, but in reality, the size of a good AV receiver hasn’t really changed. Plus, but they won’t sound the same. Many are divided on Class D vs Class AB, and I’ve found that some speakers just don’t gel well with Class D amplifiers.

Hi Guys, I am looking for something second hand, hoping to find a good deal. Think I can sell my 2 other amps for 300 - 400 each. So probably a few hundred EUR like, 400 - 600 to spend on another 2nd hand amp.

Requirements:
  • At least Dolby 5.2 (more speakers like atmos on the ceiling would be great).
  • hdmi ports
  • Decently sounding like the AX1 (hope to listen good quality music over it, and ofc. for watching TV and movies).
  • Any chance on connecting my rear speakers (B&W DM110i wirelessly, like with a bluetooth transmitter? Have to buy it seperate from aliexpress for example?) The front and center speaker (all B&W...... Dm330i ) will still use a wire.
  • if possible analog in , like RCA.

For my vinyl I will keep using the Pioneer SA508.
I have a sound studio as I am a musician, so if another stereo amp is better for listening music, I will tend to use a 3rd stereo amp for listening to music.

I have found this one , is it a good piece of equipment?

Love my 61 lb ax1 built like a battleship and it's 8.1 sound .

Does anybody know how I can make my rear speakers for dolby wireless?
I use B&W DM110i speakers for the rear. I am not sure which amp I am gonna buy. But is here any solution, like wireless bluetooth transmitters from aliexpress for example? Maybe I can power them by batteries or through my sofa which has USB?

I have a Yamaha DSP-AX1. But it is defect. I can not find a company willing to repair it. To expensive? No parts available. I can not find the defect myself. I am pretty capable for repairing old stereo equipment. What may be the common causes? Any advise as how to solve this issue? I live in The Netherlands. So a local solution may be nice!

Hello Carel26,

I had DSP -A1 with a common issue (No sound from Mains) and I get fixed it by myself and I believe your's could be similar. If you could describe the issue maybe I could help?

Regards

Dear 187umkillass, thanks for your response. Fortunately I have the DSP AX1 repaired. At first it seemed impossible due to multiple issues. In the end a lot turned out to be oxidation on contacts. The machine was cleaned. The repair shop told me they could not repair this machine because a main board was damaged because it had been wet. Board was no longer available. So I got it back.
Than miraculously as I checked it, it seemed to work fine.. Surprise! I have been testing it for weeks now, and so far so good. Great sound! Love this machine. They don't make em like this any more....

They don't , still missing the owner and Bass from A1 as my VSX-LX303 it's not even near that power. Good to hear it's working.👍

Hello, Maybe kicking an old thread. But the VSX LX303 is not available anymore. Anyone know if there is another alternative to the Yamaha AX1?

Requirements:

• At least Dolby 5.2 (more speakers like atmos on the ceiling would be great).
  • hdmi ports
  • Decently sounding like the AX1 (hope to listen good quality music over it, and ofc. for watching TV and movies).
  • Any chance on connecting my rear speakers (B&W DM110i wirelessly, like with a bluetooth transmitter? Have to buy it seperate from aliexpress for example?) The front and center speaker (all B&W...... Dm330i ) will still use a wire.
  • if possible analog in , like RCA.

For my vinyl I will keep using the Pioneer SA508.
I have a sound studio as I am a musician, so if another stereo amp is better for listening music, I will tend to use a 3rd stereo amp for listening to music.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom