Yamakawa AVphile 365

uczmeg

Do you mean the Yamakawa 365Divix? I haven't seen one called AVphile.

Is it a good player...

Yes, it's amazing if you want to use DVI out. The picture I get on my projector from a £140 quid player is nothing short of stunning.

I don't believe there is a source in the UK.

www.computeruniverse.net are in Germany, will answer emails in English, will take credit card orders and deliver to the UK. There service is supposedly excellent. I think with postage it will work out around the £140 mark.

There is another place someone pointed out with cheaper euro postage, but you'd have to search the threads.

There is plenty on this player. Search for Yamakawa or 365Divix in this forum and you'll probably find plenty of chat.

Cheers
Marc

alancolledge

Thanks Messiah

Has anyone else tried this configuration. I am interested in getting a dvi equipped player as I don't think I am patient enough to wait for the next generation of 'budget' HDMI ones!

I would want it to play DivX also so the Yamakawa seems ideal.

If this can be confirmed I might be interested jasonjbj if you haven't already passed it on!:smashin:

F

Family Guy

Originally posted by alancolledge
If this can be confirmed I might be interested jasonjbj if you haven't already passed it on!:smashin:
He has...to me...:smoke:

Messiah

Alan

Trust me (no, I'm not a doctor :) ) it will work. The HDMI input on the Pio HDE range is DVI compatible so there is absolutely no reason why the Yamakawa should not work (not that I can see anyway). For £140 it's gotta be worth getting one which you can always sell on if for any reason it is not suitable or likeable.

alancolledge

Dr Mesiah,:hiya:

Youve convinced me to get one so just ordered from computeruniverse!

Now all I need is a dvi to HDMI cable or dvi lead with an adapter....whatever's cheaper.

Do you or anyone else know where I can find one?

EffTee

Youve convinced me to get one so just ordered from computeruniverse!

Hope you're a patient man - mine order on 19/2 from computeruniverse looks like it should finally be delivered tomorrow :eek:

It'll be great to finally get my hands on it - and to start watching my DVD backlog!

EffTee

alancolledge

Yikes!!!:(

What happened?Did they give you an explanation for this such as stock level.

Other chaps on here who ordered have recieved theirs in about a week.

I have paid for UPS to deliver so does this make a difference from choosing the mail option?

Anyway I am glad you are getting yours. Are you connecting digitally to your plasma?

F

Family Guy

Just to let you know mate - the wait will be worth it. I'm only running 720p via component and the picture is very good compared to what I had before...(Sony 730). It's particularly brighter.
Early next year, I'm upgrading my PJ to a new Domino with HDMI input. A quick of one of the cables I linked to above and this should outperform my local fleapit no problem...:D

EffTee

Just plugged mine in and got it working "dot-by-dot" on the MXE via the DVI. Very impressed.

I don't think my wait from computeruniverse was typical - but their "should be with you in 4 days" is a bit of a laugh. I had infrequent updates and no explanation.

End of the day, it's here now and I'm well pleased :D

Just got to find that post about making it multi-region.....

EffTee

Kane D Williams

To make 365DivX multi region:

When display reads 'No Disc' press Up, Up, Down, Down, Right, Left (or Left, Right).

You can then hose the region or set to 0. 0 works with all discs apart for RCE titles. You will have to chose actual region for RCE discs, but then it works fine.

EffTee

Thanks Kane.

I've just spent half the day programming my Pronto to control the 365. - was a bit harder than expected, but seems to work quite well now.

EffTee

alancolledge

Mine got delivered today!:clap:

I've reported more in the plasma section but I am also very impressed from first impression!

Kane D Williams

BTW, has anyone tried 720p via component as well as DVI from the 365? I no longer have my component leads to try it, but I am curious to how much of a difference there is. I am enjoying the 720p DVI feed though!

Any news on any new WMV9 players? I wonder if it is possible for a new firmware for the 365 that will allow true 720p/1080i WM9 material to play???

F

Family Guy

I'm using mine 720p via component. The 60hz version is fine, with minimal judder on Pal meterial. Using 720p50hz is a different matter though. No judder on pal stuff - but the picture is shifted about 2 feet over to the left. I've shifetd it back as far as I can using the PJ setting, but it's still probably 6 or 7 inches over to the right. I can't compare it to the DVI setting though (yet) as my PJ has no DVI in.
Those of you thinking of getting one of these, and don't have DVI in, 720p is made possible via component by disabling the macrovision in the "secret menu..."

alancolledge

I have only just started to play around a few concerns have appeared.

Normal dvd viewing fine and dandy. When I am trying to view divx, jpeg, mpeg etc from dvds I have burnt it seems to crash and get stuck. I then have to turn the player off totally before it resets itself.

My firmware version says 271N.

I use Nero 6 but in the German manual I think it recommends wincd would this make a difference?

Would a change of firmware sort this out?

uczmeg

271N is the latest firmware.

I've not used it for anything other than DVI DVD watching, so have no idea if there are issues here. I must admit I had heard of none.

Try emailing Yamakawa. They tend to have very good customer support.

Cheers
Marc

Donnchadh

Standard Member
After reading this forum, I've ordered a Yamakawa from Germany.
I want to use a digital connection to my (soon to be delivered) Panasonic PTAE500.
What lead should I go for?
DVI to DVI or DVI-D to DVI-D?
Incidentally I use www.tvcables.co.uk - good service, good prices.

F

Family Guy

Thae yamakawa has a DVI out. So you would need a cable with one of those on one end and whatever plug is on your PJ at the other...probably DVI - DVI.

EffTee

When I am trying to view divx, jpeg, mpeg etc from dvds I have burnt it seems to crash and get stuck. I then have to turn the player off totally before it resets itself.
Alan,

Have you burned the DVD's in ISO 9660 format? I burned one with mixed content in UDF 1.5 and the player crashed and needed to be powered off. Manual says ISO only.

EffTee

F

Family Guy

Efftee - if you PM me your address, I have a copy already burnt you can have.

StAnToN

Hi M8ys

im planing on buying one of these and connecting it via component to my H30 does this player have component connections in the back of it or is something else needed as when i had a quick view of the manual on the yamakawa site it said that component was done via the scart and that a special cable would be required?

thanks

StAnToN
:eek: