Yamakawa 365DivX - 1st impressions.

Originally posted by SinisterRocket
Hi KraGorn

Player arrived this morning, very good service so far.

Worked out at £145 including delivery. Not able to test it out yet as my z2 does not arrive till the weekend. And i am still to order my cable from lindy, was not sure which dvi cable to get so will be a week or so before i can provide my 1st impression
Good to know, so that was 6-7 days from time of order? Seems good to me, thanks. :)

OK, not tested it on the projector yet. Hopefully soon.

But I am a little concerned.

Right now it looks like it will output through DVI or through Scart, but not both at the same time. Turning on one switches off the other.

The V880 would do both, so the DVD player would happily work on the TV with no messing when you weren't using the projector.

I use the comparison as the firmware setup is almost identical to the V880 and at the heart of the machines the chipsets are the same.

It also appears to be the same for the sound. Enabling Digital output turns off the sound through the scart.

So it looks like I need to change the sound and the picture settings each time I switch display. Not a great hassle, but still a hassle and something that the wife just won't understand.

I guess I'm going to need a DVD player for the TV for the babies DVDs and just use this for the projector....

Someone tell me I'm missing something.

Cheers
Marc

Originally posted by SinisterRocket
Hi,

Region hack is up up down down right left. on the screen after machine starts with no disks.

Thanks. Works a treat.

Mine came with the 252N firmware which appears to be the latest on the site.

Cheers
Marc

Mine just arrived today, and I'm not getting on too well !

I've got a 7.5m Lindy DVI-D cable connected to an OPtoma H56 PJ.

I plugged in a portable telly via the Scart so I could actually see the setup menu. The firmware is the latest 252N version, so it has the extra DVI modes.

The first concern is that the casing of the player seems to 'float' (electrically that is !) so that I'm getting a tingle off it from time to time. Since it has a two-pin lead I suppose there's nothing to earth the case except maybe via the signal earths, so perhaps that will be solved by connecting it to something with a 'real' earth like the amp.

The main convern though is that I'm having trouble getting anything over the DVI connection.

I selected 576p/50hz in the menu, but that doesn't synch. Cycling through the output modes via the 'v-mode' button the PJ shows the following legends (I don't know what 'mode' means):

1440x480 60Hz mode 48 (pic is just blue)
1440x480 60Hz mode 77 (pic is green and posterized)
1440x576 50Hz mode 57 or 98 (pic multicoloured and posterized)
1280x720 60Hz mode 70 (pic is often fantastic, but the right half of the frame occupies the left half of the screen)
1920x540 60Hz mode 77 (posterized)

Occasionally I've got a good picture on 576p setting, but the PJ shows it as 60Hz, and in slow pans the stuttering is terrible.

Sometimes I get a good picture on 1080i as well, again with the 60Hz stutter.

Since I'm getting varying results I'm inclined to think that the cable might be the main problem, although the 50Hz output coming out at 60Hz is also annoying. This is so frustrating !

Any ideas ?

Whoops - confusing myself now - I meant 720p/50Hz above always gives 60Hz according to the PJ.

Similar problems here. Whatever I select in setup fails to sync on the projector. Even if I'm already in that mode.

Stepping through on V-Mode will eventually give me an image in some modes, but I seem to have to press it lots of times and it seems a random amount!

When I get a picture it looks fantastic. But it is a pain in the arse getting the picture!

I think there is a way into the custom settings for DVI mode. Or at least there is a firmware that allows custom settings. I assume if we can get at that and work out what is best for our PJ then it will work like a dream.

Not researched this yet, not got time. But will have to make some soon.

Cheers
Marc

PS Projector is an NEC HT1000

The H56 has problems recieving a progressive signal in the first place. i use a lindy 10m for my pc and all is fine if you go to the pjs native res of 1024x768. any more and you start to loose pic quality as the scaler has to down convert image. add to the progressive issue and that might be the cause of your problem
(your cable is fine)

i wonder y it says 1440. thats a wierd horizontal res

your best off with a PJ that will support 1280x720p as its native res

I tried again late last night, and the PJ showed messages indicating it was getting 200Hz and 239Hz - these were out of range of course. Powered off the player and back on, and got the expected 50Hz and 60Hz ones. Four times the proper frequency - I wonder what's going on !

As uczmeg says, when it does get a picture it is lovely, ignoring the judder of course.

Spent some more time playing with this, and I can see now why it isn't working... when it does work (which is about 1 time in 100) the PJ says it is getting 720x576@50Hz. However, that same mode is nearly always reported as 1440x576@50Hz, and the picture is completely posterized, brightly coloured but more appropriate for old Top of the Pops effects from when I was a kid.
(All colours are on 100% saturation)

Re-synching the PJ any number of times won't ever synch to a mode that doesn't work - I've tried exhaustively. Going into the setup menu (it is just about readable) and repeatedly choosing 576p can eventually give a good picture if tried for long enough. Unfortunately I can't play a disk then, since I have to exit the setup menu, at which point the player image changes and its back to the psychedelic colours.

If I put a DVD in and switch via v-mode for long enough the PJ may eventually see 720x576@50Hz, I did this last night and the picture was fantastically clean and sharp, with no judder.

I still harbour a suspicion about the cable, I suppose trying a short DVI-D cable might settle that...

More frustrated than ever !

I've taken some screenshots and put them up on one page (ignore the page title, this is just to get them up somewhere).

http://www.dickgadd.plus.com/Web Output DVD/

You'll have to open them to see what the PJ indicates on each one, I simply tried all the modes in order and took picures. Eventually one of them worked (I'd given up taking pictures by then !), so the last two show it working at 576p. The camera didn't hold focus very well but they should show the general nature of the problem.

This one: http://www.dickgadd.plus.com/Web Output DVD/pages/DSC02211.htm
and this one: http://www.dickgadd.plus.com/Web Output DVD/pages/DSC02213.htm
differ only in that the first is what I normally get and the second is a (very rare) good one.

Bearing in mind that I'm using a Lindy DVI-D cable and there is no Scart connected at all a very strange thing just happened... I selected DVI Out to OFF and then chose HD YUV Out in the SETUP menu, and straight away got a good picture where the PJ says it is Digital RGB 720x576@50Hz. Isn't the HD YUV output supposed to be via the Scart ?

It didn't last of course... first actual disk I put in reverted to the 'normal' unviewable mode...

In the German handbook and on the Setup screen the video outputs are listed as:

HD DVI Out
HD YUV Out (doesn't say how it does it)
TV Out

while in the English book for the older firmware the order is:

HD Component Out (it says YPbPr via Scart)
HD DVI Out
TV Out

so something seems to have screwed up. Or I'm going mad.
Anyway, enough replying to me own posts, I need someone to tell me what to do :)

:rolleyes:

> so something seems to have screwed up.
> Or I'm going mad.
> Anyway, enough replying to me own posts,
> I need someone to tell me what to do

Damn! And I was hoping you'd solve it for me...

I doubt you are going mad as I have similar issues, if not exactly the same.

I never get anything when messing with setup. Lots of pressing of v-mode will eventually get me a lovely picture (and a sore thumb!). Usually in 720p and sometimes in 1080i.

I'm pretty sure the YUV ouput is from the scart socket. I will try these next time I get the PJ out.

Might it be worth going back a firmware version and seeing if that makes any difference? Maybe they have messed this one up.

I'd try myself, but I'm swamped until next weekend. Then I'll happily join your crusade to get a picture easily.

Cheers
Marc

I posted about my problem in AVS Forums due to the wider audience, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3304898#post3304898

and stef_nl reports getting the same problems with a Lindy cable, these were solved by changing to a different cable.

I'm going to try and borrow a short DVI cable to see what difference it makes... maybe the player will be ceiling mounted as well :eek:

Hi,

I got a 2m DVI-i cable from maplans. All outs work great on a Z2. Also all show as the correct input on the Z2 ie 720p out on the player shows as 720p in on the projector. My 5 meter DVI-D cable arrived from lindy this morning, im now not expecting it to work as both the player and the projector say the DVI standard is DVI-I but will let you know how it goes.

PS KraGorn thats a great price. I love this player and its a steal at that price. Also thought i had a problem with the player and contacted computeruniverse. They offered to arange to pick it up or for me to post it back to them with proof of postage cost which they would refund. The problem turned out to be a Plug Socket in my house is not connected, had never used it before so didnt know :)

That sounds pretty good customer service even for this country, let alone from Europe .. would put some UK online stores to shame, mentioning no names beginning with T. :D

I think I may treat myself. :)

Any other Yamakawa / Sanyo Z2 users around here who can heartily endorse this combo? I ordered a Samsung HD 935 at Xmas to use with my Z2, but cancelled the order, after reading various gripes about its image on AVS forum. With the latest firmware, are most folk more than happy with the Yammy, or what - 149 euros at computeruniverse sure is tempting.....

Will.

I have a Momitsu V880 which I use with the Z2 and it's very good, up to my HCPC standard just about, the V880 though is temperemental and given the price of the 365 I'm thinking of getting one as a backup.

AFAIK they're identical in terms of the chips they use so the PQ should be the same.

SinisterRocket: I use a Lindy 5m with my V880 and it works perfectly.

KraGorn,

Have you updated to the latest 26/1/04 firmware? It might be worth doing as it's been reported as fixing most (if not all) ongoing problems with the V880.

Steve

Hi,

Tried the Lindy 5m cable last night and it worked fine. Spent a we bit of time last night watching various films. The only negitive coment i Have is that while the image is very nice, no jaggies and smooth pans the colours look a we bit washed. I noticed this most on a scene in American Pie 3(pal).
The scene is just before the wedding, the camera pans over a green field or golf course towards the hotel. I notice the green was not as nice. I didnt spend much time trying to adjust the colours, but noticed that the menu is diffrent, no 3:2 pull down option and a few other things. Think this is because it sees the 720p as a pc connection. I also watched shrek(ntsc) which was as you would expect awsome. The image was perfect with the colours as bright as you would expect. I will prob try another ntsc disk tonight that will provide a better comparison on the colour wash.

Originally posted by Dutch
KraGorn,

Have you updated to the latest 26/1/04 firmware? It might be worth doing as it's been reported as fixing most (if not all) ongoing problems with the V880.

Steve
No I haven't, I'm afraid recent problems flashing my KiSS-450 has left me somewhat reticent to flash another DVD player .. but if you say it's probably worth it I'll go take a look, haven't flashed the V880 since I got it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

My 365DivX is still working exceptionally well with my Z2. It works at 1080i as well as 720p, although 480p has problems, but I don't care! I am using a 9m DVI cable and I see may be half a dozen sparkles in an entire film (if any)!

I have found that if the original material was shot 4:3 (like some of the intro's and extras), the 365 shows it in it's correct 4:3 aspect ratio (with clack side bars) and then switches to 16:9 for the movie or any 16:9 extras!!! This automatic aspect ratio control is a real bonus. Is this the case with any machine/PC with DVI output or is special to the Yamakawa and other specific players?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom