Yamakawa 365/Momitsu

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by MattH, Apr 22, 2004.

1. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know if the above two players are infact one and the same. The reason I ask is that the Momitsu although when working according to reports on AVS is very good it does have reliability problems, particularly in reference to disk loading and sticking. Does the Yamakawa have a different tray mechanism? Interested in this player from a DVI perspective/

Any help or advice much appreciated.

2. armxz02

armxz02

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  3. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Matt,

The Momitsu is now much more reliable with newer (2004) firmware. I'm not sure how similar it is to the Yamakawa, but I think they use the same model Sigma chip. Hope this helps.

Steve

4. jtorry

jtorry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Dutch: Where can this firmware be found and does it offer any big improvements?

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,

The firmware can be downloaded from Manowa's website. I'm currently running the 012604 version and have not experienced any problems with it. See www.avsforum.com for lots more on this sucject.

http://www.manowa.com.tw/dvdplayer880FW.html

Be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Good luck!

Steve

6. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The screen shots on the link are exactly the same as the Yamakawa when updating the Firmware.

Are the two compatable?

7. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I pretty sure the two players are not compatible and they are not the same machines rebaged.

Both produce similar excellent output but the build quality of the Yamakawa is much better than the V880.

Cheers
    Marc

8. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can you use the latest firmware update without going through all the updates if you have an older machine?

The machines do look exactly the same apart from badges, probabaly come out of the same factory dont you think?

9. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Matt,

Yes, I believe you can just go for the latest version without going through previous versions. Hope this helps.

Steve

10. MattH

MattH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Dutch, player is out of action at the moment due to redecorating, I have a momitsu and will try the firmware upgrade asap, originally I wondered whether it was worth buying the Yamakawa aswell as i have experienced some loading adn stuck disc issues, which is extremely irritating, but you never know the firmware changes may solve it.
    Thanks to those that have helped.
    Rgds

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I got a Yamakawa from Germany. Absolute garbage. Disc kept getting jammed and kept freezing during playback. Also you had to power it off every time you wanted to change your DVD.

Installed the latest firmware which some helpful chaps on here supplied, absolutely no effect. Have had to send it back to Yamakawa for repair even though it was faulty from purchase. Cost £28 to return it.

My advice stay clear of these units wait until a dvi player is available from a decent manufacturer at a reasonable price.

Wish I had :mad:

12. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    harrisuk: You're obviously one of the unlucky ones that got a faulty player. Actually, you're the only one I know that got a faulty one. To say that the player is "absolute garbage" is a bit harsh. I've got one myself and for the money, I think it's a fantastic player. The only other option to get a DVI enabled player at this price is the Samsung. But I believe this player is not without it's share of problems. I'd be a bit sour at Yamakawa as well if I had to pay 28 quid to send back something that was fautly to beign with. Perhaps you should have saved your pennies and put them towards a player that costs nearly 10 times the price of the Yamakawa. My 2 cents.

13. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sorry this is just not correct. I have seen loads of people highlight the problems I had with mine. It is almost accepted that you have to upgrade the firmware on these players to get them working right (And this did not work in my case)

How can that be right ? I`m entitled to my opinion I am afraid as you are you are to yours. We will leave it at that shall we.

If I get it back in good working order and it comes up with the goods I will be happy to retract what I have said.

I have said this before, how can I recommend a player when my only experience is the defects I have mentioned ?

What did I say ? Might be worth waiting until a decent manufacturer comes up with a dvi player at a reasonable price.

I am afraid this player is a bit of a touchy subject with me. To be honest I will be amazed if I get it back from them at all let alone in good working order. I took a risk it did not come off its as simple as that. I thought it was worth a go as the people who have got these things working right claim the quality is excellent.

But anyone buying one should be aware of the short commings of these units.

14. uczmeg

uczmeg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Upgrading the firware is easy. And all the latest players have 271T on it so there is no problem there.

In general almost everyone who has had a Yamakawa has been thrilled. For around £140 you are getting pretty close to the quality of a well setup HTPC.

I had 2 faulty Samsung 935s, a dead on arrival HP iPAQ PDA and just today a dead Kenwood blender that was brand new.

All big name brands yet it is still possible to get duds!

Oh and the Yamakawa and the Momitsu are NOT the same machine rebadged. I've had both and they look completely different. The build on the Yamakawa is much better. (I didn't say great just much better than the Momitsu).

Cheers
    Marc