Yamaha's Pure Direct Stereo Imaging

YoungMan23

Novice Member
I am currently using a Yamaha RX V6A for both watching movies and listening to music with my JBL Studio speakers (570 front left, right, and 520 center, and stage 130 surrounds). I'm very happy with the movie surround experience, but the music experience leaves much to be desired, and I listen to music more often than watch movies. I'm using the BlueSound Node 2i to stream Amazon Music HD (I'm using it's DAC instead of the receiver's). When in Straight or 2 Channel mode, it sounds full, but there is no imaging at all. I changed it to the Pure Direct mode, and the difference was like night and day. The imaging is almost pinpoint, however, some of the impact and fullness is gone. It sounds hollow in comparison to Straight and 2 Channel. I'm also not able to use my subwoofer in Pure Direct.

What is Pure Direct doing that makes the imaging so much better?

The reason why I ask is I am thinking about getting separates to connect to my RX V6A to improve the music quality and the ability to use my subwoofer, but I'm unsure whether a stereo amplifier will suffice or if I need a pre-amp as well. I was thinking I could just get a stereo amplifier since the receiver has front pre-outs and I could use the receiver's sub-out, but I'm not sure if the pre-amp or amplifier stage of the receiver is the source of the imaging problem.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Pure Direct by[asses all processing not strictly required. You'd therefore lose the PEQ room EQ adjustments and the receiver's bass managemet. Additional circuitry related to the AV receiver's video processing and the front display are also turned off onboard the receiver to help avoid them adversely influencing the audio signal.

No AV receiver will match or surpass a similarly priced stereo amp. Cheaper stereo integrated amps invariably give better stereo performance than AV receivers. If wanting better stereo performance then consider a standalone stereo setup or maybe try using a good quality stereo amp with HT bypass connected to your AV receiver's front left and right channel pre outs.

If wanting to still use a sub while in PURE DIRECT mode then maybe look into getting an active sub that include high level inputs. Some even include a neutrik input that allow it to share the front left and right speaker terminals with a pair of conventional speakers. REL and BK make subs that include neutrik inputs.

Last edited:

edders5

Standard Member
"If wanting to still use a sub while in PURE DIRECT mode then maybe look into getting an active sub that include high level inputs. Some even include a neutrik input that allow it to share the front left and right speaker terminals with a pair of conventional speakers. REL and BK make subs that include neutrik inputs"

I have my BK sub configured this way with my Yamaha AVR (as well as with the low level imputs). A big overall improvement in sound over no sub in use at all. I will be getting an integrated amp with HT pass through and music streamer in due course though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom