1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha750 and Sky Plus

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mepsipax, Jun 28, 2005.

Tags:
  1. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

I have just got Sky Plus, and could do with some help with setting up my AV equipment.

I tried unplugging everything in preparation for the Sky Plus installation, as I wasn't convinced my previous setup was correct, but am now totally confused as to where all the scart cables, component leads etc should go.

I have - Panasonic E55 DVD recorder with component outputs

Yamaha 750 Amp with component inputs

Toshiba 36ZD26 TV with 3 scarts (one RGB)
    and Component video input

Sky plus box V2

Toshiba DVD player

VCR player (not too bothered about setting this up)

I would like to get the best possible quality picture from the Sky Plus box.

My previous setup must have been wrong as when the E55 was on through EXT 1,the picture on the TV had wavy lines on it, regardless of if we were watching a DVD, or recording.

I did the obvious and changed the scart leads, but the picture remained really poor.

Help appreciated

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I am not up on the yamaha AVRs but assuming it can up convert video signals to component then you have 2 options on the video front from the Sky+ box which will probably give almost identical picture quality.

1) Scart from 'TV' socket on Sky+ box to TV RGB enabled socket (or route though DVD-r if so inclined) - remember to enable RGB in the setup menu

2) S Video socket on Sky+ box to s video input on AVR - AVR converts the signal to component and outputs to TV - if you do this option you will however lose the auto screen ratio adjustments.

The one thing which I would point out (as I didnt realise when I recently had Sky+ installed) is you have to turn the optical connection to DD rather than stereo in the setup menu of the Sky box - that way you get DD where available or DS/Stereo where it isnt.

3. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    svideo will lose quality on conversion as well.

get a scart to component converter and connect it to 750 component in if you don't want to run it direct to the screen. it will be much cheaper to run it direct to the screen and autoaspect ratio (if your screen supports it) is very convenient (aspect switching takes up half of my remote use).

good converter will be 60-100quid plus 30-40 for a scart cable from sky to converter plus 30-60 for component from converter to the amp. That's retail, ebay.classifieds would probably halve that but still quite a lot for the convenience of running everything through the amp. only go for this option if you have bad implementation of RGB scart on your screen (my panasonic suffered from this and hence I had to convert myself).

there is a small consideration of having to switch the input on tv rather than just using one button on the amp to switch audio and video together. this is not a problem if you have remote with macros.

4. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Would an external converter be better than the built-in s-video upconversion in the 750? I run S-video from a freeview PVR and upconvert to component and it seems to run pretty well - though I haven't tried it direct to the screen as a comparison (which, clearly cold do it's own conversion).

Cheers

Greg

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I would question it too after all there is simply a convertor built into the AVR so why purchase a seperate convertor?

RGB is supposed to be slightly better than s.video so there is a small case to argue but the amount of difference between the two is so slight that a number of TVs are reported to give better picture from s.video than RGB.

Personally I would save myself the £120ish quid of the JS convertor and £60 for the component cables and use the equipment that I aready have - actually this is exactly what I have done and I am impressed with the results with my equipment combination

6. mepsipax

mepsipax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi
    The S-video option seems the best for me at the moment, as I can't justify more outlay on converters/cables just yet.

Astaroth - when you say "you will lose the auto screen ratio adjustments" when connecting S-Video on Sky plus box to Amp Does this mean I can access and change if neccessary, the screen size (widescreen 4.3 etc) via my TV remote?

Cheers for the help

7. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd try RGB scart direct to the screen first. No conversion and you'd keep auto aspect switching. The only downside is having to switch the video source separately.

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I use the 'upconversion' from composite from my TiVo, and I find I still have auto-switching in most cases. It may be that my tv is being clever, though. I find that the picture is just as good as a direct connection. I went for simplicity rather than optimum picture, but I still find the picture perfectly acceptable.