1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YSTSW105C Subwoofer any good ?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by poony, Dec 12, 2003.

1. poony

poony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Advice please, anyone have any cooments on Yamaha YSTSW105C subwoofer. :confused:

2. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They're not generally very well regarded, particularly the less powerful/small ones like the 105.

Matt.

3. brendank

brendank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    i have one it works fine in my home cinema set up

powerful when needed which pretty much sums up a subwoofer if you ask me

i presume you are asking if its a good second hand buy, of course you can spend a fortune on other ones but if the price is right i would take it

my tupence worth!;)

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Okay - let me put it another way - it's frequency response is 30Hz-200Hz. 30Hz sounds okay for a small sub until you notice that this figure is at -10dB!!! Most other sub makers use +/-3dB - if you measured the Yamaha at that you'd probably be looking at more like 40Hz which is hardly "sub-bass" and is only as low as a number of floorstanding (and even some standmount) speakers will go.

So, it's okay but it doesn't go very low and, as with all cheap subs it's arguably worth waiting and spending a bit more (£250ish) to get something a lot better. Alternatively, look at the 2nd hand route - something like an RELQ50 is in a different league.

Matt.

5. poony

poony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, I spent about £1500 for my B&W speakers already, does it mean that I should buy a decent subwoofer as well .

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Don't know which B&W speakers you've got, but B&W kit is very good and these speakers alone, especially if they are floor standers would probably do the job of the yamaha sub adequetly.
    Buying a cheap sub to go with quality speakers would be a complete waste of time IMHO.

7. bazwall

bazwall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I am going in for seperates,not to much money to spend £400-500, I have a hI-fi system with floor standing Tangent Monitor 9's, old but damm good imho,thinking of an Yamaha HTR 5603 RDS amp, my question is,would I be better off sound wise, adding rears such as Mission 71i's and a center, but no sub woofer, or to buy the Yamaha ns100 speaker package inc' subwoofer? which actually works out cheaper, I do not have a DVD at present and if I bought one it would be primarily to build up a collection of Live concerts.
    One other point is there any hard and fast rule regarding matching amp and speakers, watts and ohms etc

8. poony

poony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The B&W are floor standers (DM 605.2 S3), does it mean that I should go for something more upmarket, any suggestion, my budget is £400 max. Thanks

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I definately would'nt put a Yammy sub with those speakers.
    For £400 you could get a B&W ASW600. See more HERE
    It's not B&W's best sub and I've not heard it to make proper judgement, but for 400 quid it has decent spec and would be a lot better than the Yamaha.

10. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    I'd echo Stellavisions point there. You have some cracking pieces of kit which would (IMO) be wasted with a sub like the Yamaha. I had a listen to a £350 Yamaha when auditioning subs and it sounded ok at the time. Until, that was, I heard some real 'sub bass' subs.

Definitely look at the sub mentioned or try for a 2nd B&W ASW 675 - put a wanted ad on the forums. You may get one for £400 - £450.

Or have a look at some of the MJ Acoustics range. Their ref 1 sub got a top write up just recently.

It'll be well worth the extra you spend - especially if you have a detached house with no neighbours to worry about.

Chris