1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YST-SW800

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by n0chex, Jan 12, 2004.

1. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Yamaha YST-SW800 basically i wanted to know how this performs has anyone had a demo of it .

it is going cheap at the moment £349 ,looks good on paper the spec etc any further details will be appreciated .

2. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    ^:)

3. mw3cdj

mw3cdj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,
    I got one of these for about a year now, and found it v. good. But i have spent a lot of time setting it up with a BFD and also noticed that it sounds tighter and more controled since i placed it on a marble slab.
    Regards ,
    Daran

4. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's one of their better subs but be wary of the specs - their quoted frequency range uses a -10dB reading which makes the sub look like it goes a lot deeper compared to competitors who generally use -3dB. So, whereas they quote 18Hz, if you applied a more realistic -3dB this would probably rise to 25-30Hz.

Something they also used to do was quote output power with a ridiculously high THD reading thereby making the amp look a lot more powerful than it really is. In other words 800 watts may not be as powerful as it sounds.

Matt.

5. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    So is there a sub out there at around that price what will beat its performance.

i had a yamaha yst 305 6 months ago dual 8" Drivers and personally i thought it was crap ,well i sat crap turn the volume up and loads of chuffing and distortion.

Im looking for a subwoofer that can be felt as well as heard if that makes any sense.

A mate had a Rel strata Mk 1 which i borrowed and i liked that very much apart from it popping at high volumes it was connected with the XLR maybe i had it set wrong and expected too much from a 60w sub ,if anyone can Recommend a sub please do so i don`t really have a price range but as all of us we all like a Bargain :)

6. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    im having the same touble,want to upgrade from a 305 thought mine was faulty till i read your thread looks like they are crap,know what you mean about feeling as well as hearing same as i have been asking on other forums,decided to try and build my own, lower cost for higher spec,just trying to understand all the ins and outs

7. n0chex

n0chex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Keep us updated mate which ever way you go.

I think maplins do a full panel for the purpose of building your own subwoofer.

There must be a subwoofer on the market at a reasonable cost that makes you think to yourself now thats what im after,ive been doing alot of review reading on the net in the last week or so
    I would have liked to try the Servo 15 but they are like rocking horse s**t .

Ive even looked at a second hand M & K 500 ......Im very undecided at the moment which one to go for .

Thx for looking at my thread

8. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    iplacoustics.co.uk are selling a sub which looks the business but it is in kit form for around £307, they claim it will match any £800 sub, on their home page click on audax reference units,then scroll down to sw3, i assume it will be better than the yam 800 but do you take a chance without hearing it,maybe someone has heard one,this is my problem about building one, spending my money and it being no better than what i have.let us know what you think of it