1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YST-SW80

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by boab_is, Jul 26, 2004.

1. boab_is

boab_is

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had the good fortune to have been offered the Yamaha YST-SW80 sub for the princely sum of £20. Its about four years old and hardly used, is it the case that a solid sub can't fail? its part of a system costing £500 so if it is in working order, it will be a good match quality wise...

any thoughts??

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's not the last word in deep bass but for £20 you should go far wrong as if you don't like it you will easily get your money back

3. ufuk

ufuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Beside all, what's your idea about Yamaha sub's? Please evaluate according to their prices, do Yamaha subs do a good job?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The design of the SW80 is at least 8 years old as that was when Home Cinema Choice tested it. Sub design has moved on a pace since then and it can't compete at it's new price with more modern designs like the Mordaunt Short MS309

5. ufuk

ufuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't ask about Yamaha SW80; i need your opinions about actual models of Yamaha...Not on a specific model... I need a cheap sub and i can afford Koda, Eltax, Yamaha, Aiwa and Sony subs... All hte subs are about same power and the drivers are about at the same radius...I don't have the opportunity to listen to them all and as a brand Yamaha "sounds" me best between the brands above...I need your opinions...

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :rolleyes: Please might help ;)

Each make and model will have different characteristics. So a give us a couple of models ect. and you will get a point of view on those models. :)

7. ktng

ktng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure I quite understand what you are expecting I'm afraid :confused: . Yamaha subs range from around £100 to £600 (maybe even wider than that). A comment on the £600 sub will have absolutely no relevence to their £100 sub if that is all your budget is. I suggest you post details of budget and/or models that you are interested in. Alternatively you can have a look at a number of consumer reviews of pretty much the whole range of Yamaha subs here

8. ufuk

ufuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, i did not give the model names because the models in the market are very different in Turkey...On the other hand, the subs which are the basic models for you in UK; are the "best" subs in Turkey...That's why i asked for if Yamaha subs do a good job according to their prices; it doesn't make sense to you, i see...
    So, I need some information about SW-P130 sub which is a part of the compact 5.1 set; NSP-100...I searched web but could not find any ideas...
    The other alternatives are Eltax A8.2, Koda SW-10, Sony SAWM200...

If i can afford 100 dollars more, i'll buy a Sony SAWM500...

9. ufuk

ufuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any idea?

10. CVEKE

CVEKE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @ Ufuk: Here is the info about the Yamaha YST-SW130 sub:

Outstanding sound (both quality and level). Got it a few days ago as a part of the NS-P100 package. Total price 118 Euro (for the full package). It is a FANTASTIC value for money. I use it with the Yamaha RX-V440RDS receiver. The speakers are not as powerful as the receiver, but they provide more than sufficient level of warm pleasant sound. Extremely well balanced subwoofer/satellite combination. Everything is explained in the manual. People will surely lough, but the sound is very similar to the famous BOSE sub+sat speaker systems. If you require enormous levels of bass (really enormous) get a stronger sub, but definitely a Yamaha one. SW 130 will do good for a room about 4x4 meters big. The Advanced YST technology that they advertise REALLY works. Read more about it on the web.

Hope this was enough. If nececary, ask for more specific info.
    Greetings from Macedonia :)

11. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Warmest regards to all those members who live on the continent, I think that us folk based in the UK often forget how spoilt for choice we are with our AV gear here. Let's give a little slack to those who have a more limited choice, can't be easy posting in a language that may not be your first either.
    Hope you found some help here ufuk :)