1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YST-SW225

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by pixelated, Aug 24, 2005.

1. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hellooo there

I ordered a Yamaha YSP-1 (top stuff) and somewhere along the lines has been a miscommunication and I've also been sent the YST-SW225 Subwoofer. Unfortunately the room it's all going in isn't quite ready yet so I can't test it out. I've never heard of this Sub nor did I order it, however they've sent it and will need a Sub... does anyone have any info on it? Worth keeping or should I send it back?

Cheers :)

Stu

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You may need a sub but not that one. Send it back and buy a BK XLS200 instead. It will cost a little more at £279.00 but the difference in performance is like chalk and cheese.

3. Weidass

Weidass
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    depends if you were charged for it. if you werent, then dont, if you were, then do. but if you werent, then sell it and make £££ capiche?

4. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    You're a star, thanks for that. I've been looking at the BK ones since you recommended 'em to me and another guy in an earlier post - but as they sent that I thought I'd ask :) Oh and one more, Sevenoaks recommended the REL Quake to me as a possibility? Is the BK one better? Sorry for the questions - I know sod all about Subs!

And Weidass...

Basically what happened is when I was ordering it the chat go onto Subwoofers somehow and it's been mixed up as though I asked for one because this guy recommended it as the most popular they sell with the YSP-1 (allegedly!) I think I will be sending it back though, I'll be charged for it. :( lol

Cheers for that

Stu

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Having heard both the BK was far better to my ears. It also has a 10" driver as opposed to the REL's 8"

6. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Thanks a lot for that mate.

The BK sounds like the one I'll go for based on your recommendations I think :) I just have one more question if that's alright though?

Is the BK better than the Monitor Audio R360? The reason I ask about that is that's what I had a demo of the YSP-1 with and I thought it sounded pretty bloody good. What ya reckon?

Stu

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't knowingly heard the Monitor Audio although it may have been what was playing in the MA room at Bristol in February. The MA again only has an 8" driver as opposed to the BK's 10" and although it is marginally more expensive than the BK that will be more than offset by the dealer's margin as the BK is sold factory direct

8. corvettez06

corvettez06
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With a good company, the bigger the better. 10" to 12" is good. 8" is very limiting with level of output AND how low it can go frequency wise.

My Yamaha YST-SW105 subwoofer is 8" and 100 watts and to a point won't put out anymore even though the amp could keep going. It's frequency response range is 30 Hz - 200 Hz. 10" gets down mostly to 25 Hz and a really good 12" can get 20 Hz or below!