Yamaha YST M100 issue

aerocon

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
(before starting, sorry if this is the wrong place for this post!)

Yesterday, I recieved a pair of yamaha YST m100 2.0 speakers. These are discontinued models however I got them new on eBay. The seller obviously had some old b-stock or whatever. Anyway I bought them because as far as I can tell, the specs on them are amazing!( http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-vi ... s/ystm100/ ) 40W RMS and 50hz to 20khz dwarfs the other set I have, the YSTM20DSP speakers. When I turned them on, They seemed all well and good, however... In this part, you'll have to indulge me. I know about audio but not enough about these speakers to answer my own question! Picture the scene: My laptop is playing well mixed, fairly bass heavy music on 100% system volume with a Realtek HD built in soundcard. Any extra sound processing is not active. The bass, treble, and balance knobs on the right speaker unit are at 12 o'clock, the ymersion feature is not on, and critically the volume is at 12 o'clock. Now, this sounds fine, but I find that when split the audio and turn on my other YSTM20DSP units and match the volume, the treble is MUCH clearer and more defined, making the YSTm100s look really muddy and dull in comparison. Also, when using the YSTM100s, if the volume knob goes past, say, 2 o'clock, bass frequencies start to distort quite a lot. It's either the cones flapping or something else wrong. ANYWAY my question to you is this. Is this normal, and to be expected from an old unit? OR is there something wrong here? If so, what can I do about it? (bear in mind that I wouldn't like to send these back unless a last resort as they weigh 6 KG which would leave me quite a way out of pocket if asking for a refund and sending them back!!!) Basically, is this a fixable issue, or is it just a bad set of old speakers that I overestimated in quality? I just find their treble range very mediocre in comparison, and yet they should respond up to 20KHZ???

Cheers guys
icon_wink.gif

Greetings aerocon, I have the same set of speakers. You really need a sub woofer connected if you really want to hear bass heavy music. Remember, they only have 3 inch main drivers(!) This is why they have a sub out, for sure.

Their strengths are in the treble and midrange - wonderful sounds. They are not as hyped as other speakers, and are really critical of source quality. Yet they can go clean, and sound dynamic and really loud with the correct source material. If the treble is well recorded then it will sparkle. Furthermore, tonal colours are faithful and musical. Try playing them with a high quality source and you will see, especially at high volume.

It is because many other speakers are unbalanced (the v curve - hyped treble and bass, shallow midrange) that speakers like these Yamaha's sound duller, initially.

The amplifiers are really high quality. Use good quality cable as these are professional speakers. You also need a much better sound card than what you have to appreciate them at their best. I had a Creative External 24-bit USB recently, but as soon as I used a Saffire 6 USB yesterday then the midrange and bass filled out, and now the system can really shake the house(!).

The distortion is coming from your onboard sound. I have proved this as by using a very high quality sound card the speakers go clean and loud right up to maximum.

I initially thought as you and was going to sell these, but as soon as I heard them with a high quality source, and then with a sub woofer, then it was no turning back.

They are one of the few multimedia to give the kick drum the correct "punch" and slam as heard when live, but again, need a sub woofer to help with the lower harmonics to achieve this.

I use them with a Gale Storm 8 and they blend beautifully. These are the best PC speakers that I have bought. Just give them time and it will be no comparison with your other YSTM20DSP's.

Either way, persevere with them, and even if you cannot hear them at their best now, they will certainly withstand system upgrades.

All the best

vitw1844

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom