Yamaha YSP2200

DrPips

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve had the YSP2200 for a good few years now and it’s been great, but I’ve just upgraded my tv and I don’t think it’s working properly.

Whatever the input (Plex, netflix, 4K Blu-ray player) and audio codec (dts, acc, ac3) the soundbar displays ‘Streo’ and the status light is orange. I’m sure it used to be blue to show I was getting the pseudo surround sound the bar is capable of.

All the inputs go into the tv and then connected to the sound bar via the arc connection. The TV is a Samsung 49nu7100.

Is the Tv not capable of passing through the signal needed for dts etc? Is there an easy solution?

the ysp2200 is not hdcp2.2 enabled if your blu ray has 2 hdmi outputs you could set up that way.

Sorry, what’s hdcp2.2? There are 3 outputs on the Blu-ray. The one I’m not using says audio out only

hdcp2.2 is a type of encryption, you can use the main output to the tv for picture and the audio out to the soundbar for audio.

And for plex? That runs on the app on the tv at the moment? Anything I can do about that?

gives a good explanation of 4k.

sorry wrong link above.

Thanks for the replies and link, I think I understand the problem now. I’m still not sure how to get the tv apps to work in 5.1 though. Would an optical cable from tv to sound bar instead of hdmi help? Or should I try to get the apps on the Blu-ray player instead?

it all depends on the tv. my panasonic would only send stereo down the arc cable so used optical. then the whole apps thing is a bit of a mess, as apps on different platforms send different outputs for audio. netflix on one device might send atmos and not on another.app development in uk is lacking to say the least.

Ok, well I’ll see if I’ve got an optical cable kicking around and try that first.

Thanks for your help

I found an optical cable and tried it, but I get the same thing. I set the tv to output via optical instead of hdmi, but sound bar still shows “streo”.

I’ll give the blu ray option a try later

might sound silly but have you pressed the surround button on the yamaha remote.

Ha
Hi all,

I’ve had the YSP2200 for a good few years now and it’s been great, but I’ve just upgraded my tv and I don’t think it’s working properly.

Whatever the input (Plex, netflix, 4K Blu-ray player) and audio codec (dts, acc, ac3) the soundbar displays ‘Streo’ and the status light is orange. I’m sure it used to be blue to show I was getting the pseudo surround sound the bar is capable of.

All the inputs go into the tv and then connected to the sound bar via the arc connection. The TV is a Samsung 49nu7100.

Is the Tv not capable of passing through the signal needed for dts etc? Is there an easy solution?
Have you selected the correct audio output on your Samsung TV depending on your source?
Your Samsung TV should be able to output Dolby Digital and DTS.

might sound silly but have you pressed the surround button on the yamaha remote.
Hmm, not so silly! I presumed it would switch automatically. The display on the sound bar now shows St38m, whatever that means. Still has orange light, not blue.

Ha

Have you selected the correct audio output on your Samsung TV depending on your source?
Your Samsung TV should be able to output Dolby Digital and DTS.

The only options for Digital Output Audio Format are PCM and Dolby digital. Dolby digital + is greyed out

Hmm, not so silly! I presumed it would switch automatically. The display on the sound bar now shows St38m, whatever that means. Still has orange light, not blue.

The only options for Digital Output Audio Format are PCM and Dolby digital. Dolby digital + is greyed out

Looking at the TV specs on Samsungs website, the TV only supports Dolby Digital Plus and PCM.
Interesting, my old Samsung JS serie had both DD and DTS.
So if you want DTS working, plug your device to the soundbar. For builtin apps youre out of luck.
On the bluray player you can split the video and audio. Video to TV and audio to soundbar.
For Dolby Digital/AC3 and EAC3 content, switch to Dolby Digital in audio output.

Ok, thanks for the help. I'll try setting up Plex on the Bluray player, see if that makes a difference. The only other option, I guess is to make Plex transcode the audio from DTS (or AAC, or AC3) to Dolby on the fly. I'd need to look into that though.

Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom