Yamaha ysp2200 - which connection option is better of these two?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dubcat, Jan 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. dubcat

dubcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi

My content sources include

- apps in my tv (lovefilm streaming, iplayer, and dlna steaming of divx)

- virgin media box

- ps3 used for blu ray, DVD and gaming.

I have connected virgin and ps3 to the Yamaha via hdmi. The Yamaha is connected to the tv via hdmi. Everything works fine

Since I used the arc connector on my tv the sound from the tv sourced content (the apps i mentioned earlier) also works fine through the Yamaha.

However, I was wondering if it might be better to connect the ps3 and virgin directly to the tv and rely on arc to get the sound from everything to the Yamaha?

The advantages would be that I could leave the Yamaha on TV source. This means I could use my tv remote for everything as the Yamaha would always be on the right source setting - tv.

In addition to this the video signals for virgin and ps3 wouldn't have to pass trough the Yamaha. Would this make them cleaner? Of course the audio would now have to hop through the tv to get to the Yamaha do I guess that would be a dirtier signal.

What's the better way to do it?

2. dubcat

dubcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Agh ignore this. The other hdmi ports on the tv do not use the arc connection to get audio back to the Yamaha. You do have to connect the source devices in to the Yamaha :)