1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamaha YSP1-what do you think about it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by arielshiran, Feb 4, 2005.

1. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read some reviews of users who saw the new Yamaha YSP1 in action and were overwhelmed. Some audiophiles between them were amazed and even said this product will be in their homes when it starts being sold in Europe and replace their expensive and loved speakers.
    What do you think about it? Will this be the beginner of a new revolution?
    See this link for more details:
    http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP1/main.jsp
    P.S. And the price of this product in Japan is around 800 pounds (and this includes a receiver+speakers...)

2. arielshiran

arielshiran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read some reviews of users who saw the new Yamaha YSP1 in action and were overwhelmed. Some audiophiles between them were amazed and even said this product will be in their homes when it starts being sold in Europe and replace their expensive and loved speakers.
    What do you think about it? Will this be the beginner of a new revolution?
    See this link for more details:
    http://www.yamaha.ca/av/YSP1/main.jsp
    P.S. And the price of this product in Japan is around 800 pounds (and this includes a receiver+speakers...)

3. thelordmagus

thelordmagus
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You can't connect an SACD player... it requires 5.1 analogue connections... but otherwise I'd be interested to hear it, and especially for stereo ^^

4. severnsource

severnsource

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Whilst it is an interesting idea and It would be interesting to hear it, I can most definitely say that it won't be replacing ordinary high quality speakers.

Even if it could do what it claims, i.e. produce precisely defined sound beams, the performance will depend almost entirely on the environment and as all listening rooms are different the results will be completely inconsistent and certainly not high quality.

5. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    For god's sake NEVER, EVER let the wife/partner see this as it will be the end of filling up the living room with "big ugly boxes" for good ! ! ! !

Whilst I agree that it is a good idea in practise, I personally think it'll not be able to perform as good as a set of proper (5.1 / 6.1 / 7.1) speakers.

Still I would like a demo of it to see how it performs.

6. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,938
    arielsharan

For many the Sound Projector Technology will be the way forward - though I doubt many 'audiophiles' will be replacing conventional set ups with a single cabinet.

Oddly enough the technology was invented in the UK (http://www.1limited.com/tech/sp/) is now owned by Pioneer Japan and you'll see more and sub licensees such as Yamaha coming up with variations on the basic idea.

There are also alternative technologies around that use similar principles.

Best regards

Joe

PS UK SRP is £799.00

7. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +226
    It retails here in Australia for AU$2,499. While it's a great piece of kit and its surround sound performance is great (room layout helps though) I dont think it's gonna worry the purists. Its worth getting a demo if you can - very impressive piece of technology.

8. FunkyMonkey

FunkyMonkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Around £620 at Empire Direct and in stock. Personally, I think the Sony wireless rear speakers system for just over a grand make far better sense.

(He said having heard neither. :rolleyes: )

9. Markie Boy

Markie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Perth, Western Australia (Originally Ireland)
    Ratings:
    +226
    It sounds great, but trust me, I aint replacing my speakers ever for this thing. A great sounding gimmick, but a gimmick nonetheless. Audition if you can for obvious reasons.