Yamaha YSP Sound Projectors...

Serkie

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been doing some research into a Yamaha Sound Projector unit and before taking the plunge and splashing out wondered if someone could confirm what the latest model was?

I've seen on this forum that a newer version is coming out, is this true, as I can't find anything official to validate this statement?

Last but not least my visual source is a Pioneer 436 XDE, would I connect the YSP to my media box or TV speaker outputs?

Kind Regards,

Serkan

Cheers Gaz, I've emailed Yamaha UK to make sure something better isn't about to be released.

Quick reply from Yamaha.

Hi,

The YSP1 is due to be replaced by the almost identical YSP1000 anytime now.
The YSP800 is a new line which is smaller than the 1 or 1000.

Thanks

Chris Moseley

More info...

The only difference is the addition of auto setup on the 1000 - and it's
available in black as well as silver.

Thanks

Chris Moseley

There's a lot more different from the 1 and the 1000, they aren't telling you anyting cause they want you to buy the 1!

The 1000 has component out, the 1 had composite out only... the 1000 is a vast improvement on the inside than the 1.

I called Peter Tysons today and they expect the YSP-1000 to be in stock next week :)

whats the best way to connect it up?

I.e through sky, dvd, or from LCD

what lead would you reccomend?

I have optical cables plugged into my YSP-1 from sky+ and DVD player.No need to connect it to a panel.

Sky+ and Xbox hooked up via optical cables and DVD via a Coax

You can have it at pretty much any height as the beams on the YSP-1000 can be angled horizontally and vertically (apparently the YSP-800 can only do horizontally)

Personally I'm mounting mine under my plasma at approximately ear height when I'm sitting down so I don't have to mess around with vertical angles.

Mines pretty low as you can see.

IMG_1605.jpg

There are a number of differences between the YSP-1 and YSP-1000. The ones I have identified as additions in the 1000 are:-

1) Auto calibration. This includes both beam angles and sounds level aspects
2) Video switching including component video for 2 sources
3) DSP modes such as Sci-Fi/Adventure movies modes, jazz club and other music modes etc.
4) SRS TruBass
5) I don't believe the YSP-1 had an IR input and output for embedded installation of other components.

What I do not know, is if any aspect of the audio circuitry (in terms of sound quality) has been improved between the 1 and 1000.

For me, the auto calibration simply does not work. It reckons the room is double the depth that it is. You can't just go changing the values afterwards because as you change the room dimensions, it starts changing all the angles. Therefore I have to set-up the beam parameters manually, but can still use the mic for the sound parameters.

Note: If you sit against the rear wall, you will not be able to get sounds that appear to come from behind you. You will get a 180 degree (or slightly beyond) soundstage which is still very worthwhile. The same applies in a real 5.1 set-up, although with real speakers, fiddling around with the positioning can result in some illusion of rear presence.

Jonathan

Jon - can you not angle teh sound off the ceiling to create a rear illusion?

How would anyone rate the power output of the ysp 1000. I have a large open plan room with a floor area of 60 sq' metres. I seriously don't want to get into wiring up a surround system if I don't have to, but the other systems seem to have substantially higher output.
I have also read dissapointing comments regarding using the ysp for regular music via cd. That is not what I want to hear. How would you owners say it performs. I am not a "Hi fi" nut but just want somethong that sounds reasonable.
All opinions welcome please:smashin:
Bob

The ceiling route is an interesting idea which I will try. I would guess I would want the beam to bounce on the ceiling somewhere, then to the back wall, and then to my head. You wouldn't want it to go straight from the ceiling to your head otherwise it will still be coming from infront of you.

Jonathan

Whitley Bob said:
How would anyone rate the power output of the ysp 1000. I have a large open plan room with a floor area of 60 sq' metres. I seriously don't want to get into wiring up a surround system if I don't have to, but the other systems seem to have substantially higher output.
I have also read dissapointing comments regarding using the ysp for regular music via cd. That is not what I want to hear. How would you owners say it performs. I am not a "Hi fi" nut but just want somethong that sounds reasonable.
All opinions welcome please:smashin:
Bob

The musical performance of the YSP-1 wasn't too good at any volume - however it's perfectly listenable as background music certainly. It's not bad, it's just not that great :) With movies the YSP-1 was very good.... but it *did* sound harsh at higher volumes...

Whether they've changed this for the YSP-1000 I don't know - but I don't think so. It seems they've added more inputs etc and not changed the (already good) sound quality.

YSP-1 = V.Good for movies at reasonable volumes and not so good at higher volumes
YSP-1 = Not too good with music, but not too bad either :)

That was my experience with it. I got rid of it purely because my 3910 to my ears gives excellent sonic performance and I wasn't getting the best from it using the YSP-1. I'd still recommend it to this day though providing you can live with the drawbacks :thumbsup:

Dear Folks

I'm new to this stuff, but do like the idea of the YSP-1000. My room is 4m x 6m and am comtemplating this purchase.

A couple of questions I have:
1. Is there speaker-out so that I can use to drive other speakers. I have speakers in all rooms and would like to use this as an amp as well?
2. Does it need a sub to get this best bass. I would imagine that with 42 small speakers - bass might be an issue.
3. what are the advantages over the 800 to the 1000?

Regards

ANDREW

adchesney said:
Dear Folks

I'm new to this stuff, but do like the idea of the YSP-1000. My room is 4m x 6m and am comtemplating this purchase.

A couple of questions I have:
1. Is there speaker-out so that I can use to drive other speakers. I have speakers in all rooms and would like to use this as an amp as well?
2. Does it need a sub to get this best bass. I would imagine that with 42 small speakers - bass might be an issue.
3. what are the advantages over the 800 to the 1000?

Regards

ANDREW
1. No, you'll need a sepetate amp for this
2.Yes
3.More connections and more speakers (hence possible performance), there maybe others that i'm forgeting.

We are hearing the 800 model does not have angular control in the vertical direction. This is needed when the unit is not closely in-line with ear height for better perception of the directionality of the sound.

The 800 has no component switching. It only has 3 DSP modes compared to the 7 on the 1000 (e.g Sci-Fi movie etc). These modes tend to widen the sound stage further and add some level of reverb/echo.

The fact there are more cones in the 1000 with more amps, would suggest a higher volume capability and possibly dynamic range (need to know more about the internals to determine this).

Jonathan

Stuart Kirby said:
The musical performance of the YSP-1 wasn't too good at any volume - however it's perfectly listenable as background music certainly. It's not bad, it's just not that great :) With movies the YSP-1 was very good.... but it *did* sound harsh at higher volumes.
Thanks for the reply Stuart, I guess the only way to know for sure is to find someone to demmo' it in my house.
I know very little about hi fi so this may sound really stupid but could some sort of pre-amp be added between a cd player and the ysp to improve its music performance, or are you all rolling around on the floor laughing now. ;)

Don't worry, we all have to learn and start from somewhere! I am sure we are all happy to help you.

Remember that the YSP-1000 uses 42 speakers. It defies the conventional way of doing audio completely. From a purist perspective, its a horror story with all of its phase shifting, timing delay routines and whatever else it does. It is also working with many small speakers to generate enough sound, rather than larger ones. TO be honest, I was totally amazed it achieves the level of fidelity it does...for that it is a great achievement.

I do have a high-end system in another room. They are not comparable. However, if you are not a perfectionist, the audio fidelity of the YSP-1000 is really not that bad. Its listenable at normal volumes, but can become grating at high volumes. You could adjust the tone controls to help a bit. For background music, or a casual rather than critical listen, it is more than good enough. You absolutely must have a sub-woofer to go with it though. I recommend a Rel Quake as a good partner for this. It may be about 4-5 years old now, but for its size and value, personally, I don't think it has been bettered yet. Others may suggest the Monitor Audio R360 or one of the smaller Kefs. The important thing with the sub is to get one that is "tight" sounding rather than an echoey rumble box which a lot of cheaper ones are.

Jonathan

Whitley Bob said:
Thanks for the reply Stuart, I guess the only way to know for sure is to find someone to demmo' it in my house.
I know very little about hi fi so this may sound really stupid but could some sort of pre-amp be added between a cd player and the ysp to improve its music performance, or are you all rolling around on the floor laughing now. ;)

I do have a high-end system in another room. They are not comparable. However, if you are not a perfectionist, the audio fidelity of the YSP-1000 is really not that bad. Its listenable at normal volumes, but can become grating at high volumes. You could adjust the tone controls to help a bit. For background music, or a casual rather than critical listen, it is more than good enough. You absolutely must have a sub-woofer to go with it though. I recommend a Rel Quake as a good partner for this. It may be about 4-5 years old now, but for its size and value, personally, I don't think it has been bettered yet. Others may suggest the Monitor Audio R360 or one of the smaller Kefs. The important thing with the sub is to get one that is "tight" sounding rather than an echoey rumble box which a lot of cheaper ones are.

Jonathan

an excellent summary and one I concur with. Had in depth demo of the YSP and thought it was a great machine and a massive solution for a lot of people. Likewise the need for a decent sub is essential and I too recommend the Quake, RELS pocket rocket that you can tuck away rather nicely. the lower end did seem to remove the bright sound which I would imagine may diminish with run in. As others said, you would not run this at Spinal Tap volume anyway (11) :)

Pete.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom