1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yamaha YSP + Active Sub

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Peteee, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Peteee

Peteee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Based in Shropshire I am looking for a supplier for the Yammy YSP1 + a suitable active sub
    This can be mail order or by collection within reasonable distance
    Any suggestions
    I know there are some on here who supply kit
    Perhaps you can PM me if rules forbids advertisers

2. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Costco are still doing them for very reasonable dosh, if there's one near you. BYO sub, though. Bear in mind that there'll be 2 new models coming out soon (YSP-800 with only 22 speakers, and the YSP-1000 which is the same as the YSP-1, but with upgraded electronics, YPAO, etc.), so waiting a few weeks could knock even more off.

3. Peteee

Peteee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info on Costco B/ham nearest to me
    Might hold off till new model release as you suggest may get offers on old model
    Wot does BYO sub mean?

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Buy Your Own Sub....I've got my YSP-800 paired with a Velodyne CHT-10....Works a treat...

5. Peteee

Peteee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that explanation (BYO obvious now you have said)
    What sort of money are they (Velodyne)
    Any suggestions on suppliers other than Costco

6. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    I really wouldn't know about suppliers in the Shropshire area...My Velodyne was £325 at the time...It may be a bit big for your liking though, I had it when I had a full surround setup...I've heard the YSP-1 in a demo with one of those tiny subs, a Reference 100 or something...Was very impressive indeed...

7. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  8. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,165
    Got my YSP-1 from

www.wirefreehomes.co.uk

great service,1st one turned up smashed at both ends,sent a new one out straight away no problems at all.

9. rowlandhills

rowlandhills

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    The YSP-1000 looks like a much better buy, in my opinion, with upgraded setup (through using the included microphone), and the fact that it appears to have component video switching/passthrough. In fact, I'm about to start another thread on it, as I've got a bit more info than seems to have been posted so far. Personally, I'm going to hold on for the YSP-1000, although I'd love to have it now, not in late October...

10. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    As I have the YSP-800, I can confirm that the YPAO system works a dream. And that alone will make the setup so much easier...

I just don't get it why they put component video switching on the new model, especially as it is being marketed to be used with a plasma and all self respecting plasma owners should be on digital connections....But I guess if you need it, it would be welcome....

BTW Just be aware that Canara style plugs don't fit in this speaker due to their location....So away goes my cables ;-)

11. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, component connections are argueably the highest quality analogue connection available that is widely used in home cinema setups. They can also be used for sending 720P HD signals, so including such a connection is not without it's merits (whether or not the YSP-1000 would be capable of switching HD video signals is another matter).

Also, take into account the fact that Component connections are as common in the US as Scart connections are over here, and you begin to understand why Yamaha including component video switching in the YSP-1000..

Digital connectors (DVI or HDMI) are few and far between at the moment, even on high end AV Amps , so I wouldn't expect to see them in an all in one solution such as the YSP-1000.

Ben

12. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    Ben...you are quite right...but are missing the point here...These speakers were design to be the same width and go with plasma...Why they have built-in switching god knows, but at least they could have made it suitable for plasma or ommit it....

HDMI few and far in between? Oh come on...Every current plasma has got one if not more...Every current DVD player has got an output....

I think we just have to agree to disagree on this one....

13. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Simple, because you only have to press one button to change from say sky HD to a DVD intead of Two i.e. one on the YST and one on the Display. People are lazy and I think its useful also not all plasmas will have all connections or enough of them.

14. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    That is if Sky will provide HD over the component outputs without HDCP....That is yet to be seen......

Don't get me wrong, I think the gesture is good, it is just the execution is poor...I mean two inputs is a bit too little and you'd want to connect you Sky HD, DVD player and PS3 and/or XBOX all via HDMI of-course....

Two years ago I would have said, yes great, but now on a product that hasn't even launched yet....hmmm....a little bit too little too late....

15. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Remember must range recievers around the same price only have 2 component ins, only the yamaha 2500 to my knowledge has 3 ins, so i don't really think its that bad. Although you may not see yourself usinging it i could see the vast majority doing so, also the people who are buying a solution like this are very unlikely to HMDI until they upgrade next, as very few people have it now at all.

Also i believe it was confirmed a while back that component out will be provided on at least the first Sjy HD boxes

16. benwong

benwong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dejongj, I think I missed a few words from my posting; I was supposed to say

'Digital connectors (DVI or HDMI) are few and far between at the moment on av amps'

Or more so 'digital switching is few and far between.'

Granted, plasmas and LCDs with digital inputs are more of the norm these days, but I'd say more screens have component inputs, and more DVD players have component outputs.

HDMI/DVI switching will occur on these kinds on equipment... just not quite yet..

Ben

17. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
  18. fz2hqs

fz2hqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, bit of a thread hijack :nono:

Could an owner of a YSP-800 measure the width of it for me please. I know the literature quotes 800mm however I have a gap to fit it in of 812mm and don't really want to find that they measured it without the grille on. It'll be an expensive mistake if the sales department got it wrong

Cheers :lease:

19. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    @fz2hqs...The grill doesn't come off, so you can trust the literature ;-) It's fully flat on the sides...

20. Peteee

Peteee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any suggestions re suitable sub to go with the YSP and hook up to Sagem HD45s

21. fz2hqs

fz2hqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Fella.

I have had a look around, and this seems to be the cheapest I have yet found:
    http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/PRC/PRC.storefront/EN/product/YSP800

Given that I am buying this based on asthetics more than performance (lets face it given the choice we would all like 6 or more speakers instead of the one but SWMBO rules!) I am thinking choice sub is prolly either B&W PV1 (can't find anywhere that has it for less than £950 ? Price fixing ?) the KEF PSW2500 or the Wharfdatle SW250

22. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    That's a good price, cheaper than Costco...I couldn't comment on a sub, I use mine with a Velodyne CHT-10 which is great...I have no experience with those you mentioned...But considering YPAO is automated, the 'mating' shouldn't be much of a problem...

Hooking up, well the on-screen display is composite only. I used that before I noticed that the display on the front is showing the full menu...I now removed the cable...Hookup otherwise....dvd, sky gamesconsole to the screen and the sound outputs to the YSP...Very simple...Just don't get too chunky cables as they point downwards and if they are not bendy the YSP gets tilted...

23. fz2hqs

fz2hqs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    I think it is a media shot as mine really doesn't come off, unless serious force is used. It's not like floor-stand speakers where it is easily removed and changed....

I'm not home until next Monday so I can't get my tape measure out quickly...If you don't get any luck here, you could just go to Costco and measure it yourself...Probably worthwhile buying it there then anyway for that little bit extra....

25. Geekev

Geekev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am having to change my surround set-up as my new house has a smaller front room and my B&Ws are just too big, I was thinking about buying Mission m-cubes but they are hard to get at the moment and a bit more than I had hoped to spend. The Yamaha YSPs look like such a great solution, I wonder whether those of you that have one, particularly the YSP-800, could give me an idea whether it is worth me considering. My main concern is that it I have a Victorian front room and the TV/surround kit will be at the front of a corner alcove, between a chimney breast and a bay window. Will the (auto)set-up cope with this and will I have to watch what I hang on the walls ?

Any advice appreciated,
    Kevin.

26. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,566
    The location doesn't sound like a problem. Though saying that, there are a few things to keep in mind...The microphone for auto setup should be directly placed in front of the speaker. The setup procedure will complain and not complete if that is the case. So if you do not have seating in a direct line, I would suggest to forget it...
    Also, whilst it is very good, it is no substitute for a dedicated speaker setup. It provides great movie impact, but it is a virtual system afterall. You will need a subwoofer, without one it just doesn't provide the impact imho...

Furnishings, I wouldn't worry to much...The YSP-800 has got three memory positions, I use one for curtains open, another for curtains open and patio door open, and another one for curtains closed. It does make a huge difference to the setup, but the YPAO is quite good in recovering the sound depending on the furnishings...

Hope this helped...

27. Geekev

Geekev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes thats useful thanks very much.

Looks as if I will be holding out for a 'real' speaker setup, but this is a handy fall back plan.

Cheers,
    Kevin.

28. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay guys, I just posted a long question and lost everything. So here is a short version.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I get rid of my current rear and centre speakers from my set up and use the YSP for surround, because my current system dosen't sound convincing at all becasue of room shape. I Keep my sub(B&W),front speakers and reciever for music.

Currently my sette is up against the wall (due to space) and the speakers are mounted on brackets in the ceiling. With the sette against the wall, will the YSP be able to give me rear sound affects?

Has anybody seen this review from Audioholics of the YSP-1?(http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/YamahaYSP-1DigitalSoundProjector1.php) - very positive which made me think of the above configuration.

I did hear the YSP at Bristol and was very impressed, but I didnt want to admit to myself that it sounded better than my setup.

Comments anybody? :lease:

29. louisg

louisg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    whats the best way to connect it up?

I.e through sky, dvd, or from LCD

what lead would you reccomend?

30. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,165

I have optical cables plugged into my YSP-1 from sky+ and DVD player.No need to connect it to a panel.