Yamaha YSP-800

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by njwallbank, Aug 11, 2006.

1. njwallbank

njwallbank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I'm considering buying the above unit to (hopefully) provide decent surround sound in my living room. Obviously my wife is very keen on this due to the lack of wires (I know I'm not alone in that respect!).

Currently I have a CRT, but intend to upgrade to an LCD (most likely 32") when finances allow. I have a few questions..

1. Does anyone have any strong opinions (good or bad) about the YSP-800?
    2. Yamaha state that even though the unit is magnetically shielded, it should not be placed on top of a CRT (which is where I was hoping to place it). Are they just saying this to cover themselves, or is there a genuine reason that I shouldn't? Does anyone have it positioned on top of a CRT?
    3. The best price I've found so far is at Krisha AV. Has anyone used this retailer before and have any positive / negative experiences they could share? Does anyone know of a better price than this?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Bee-Man

Bee-Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I listened to it the other week and although I didnt buy it (went for a satellite set + sub); it was very impressive for audio and did create an impressive soundstage. It produces very clear sound and stays clear and rather loud levels. The auto-calibration is the key.

You definately need a sub-woofer with it, and if is for pure movie /audio listening, then there is nothing that matches its convenience. It simply does not play music with any great gusto.

Not the cheapest piece of tecnology on the market, I would probably say the same money buys a little bit more in the 3.1 market and certainly offers more flexibility down the track......

Hope this helps..

3. njwallbank

njwallbank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It does, thanks very much. It's main use will be for movies (DVD, Xvid, etc.), TV and games (Xbox 360).

4. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Definitley get a sub....also set-up is key to this product shining or disappointing :)