Yamaha ysp 5600 owners lounge

Discussion in 'Soundbars, Soundplates & Soundbases' started by luvinaudio, Feb 6, 2016.

1. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently purchased a Yamaha ysp 5600. After waiting a couple months on the waiting list. it finally arrived!

generally i have found that it is sometimes awesome at surround movies. whilst mostly average on music.

having used it for just less than a month i have noticed a few bugs in the day to day use

1. audio assign doesnt work for me. i have optical out for audio and hdmi for video. cant get audio and video on any of the hdmi inputs

2. spotify connect often drops out. spotify on mac simply deselects the yamaha from the list of spotify connect list, or yamaha dissapears from list complately.

3. yamaha wil often just turn itself off while audio is playing.

i opened this thread to see if other owners have had the same issues or even others.

i noticed there is very little online feedback,so i thought a owners thread would be useful.

ps im on latest firmware vs 1.22 and i am told yamaha know about the optical issues. but i encourage other owners seeing the issue tp complain also.. get them to release a fix.

2. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I've only had mine for 8 days so I've far less experience than you but I'll comment on your numbered points:-

1. Are you saying you're having to resort to optical out from your sources because HDMI out does not pass audio? If so, I have a silly question for you - you have got 'audio out over HDMI' selected on the relevant sources? I'm sure on a couple of mine, you can decide what goes over HDMI so maybe it's as simple as that? Sorry in advance if I'm stating the obvious :) As to my setup here, I have four sources feeding HDMI into the YSP 5600 (a Blu-Ray player, an Xbox 360, an Amazon Firebox and an old Popcorn Hour). I am also feeding it optical from a Humax PVR and in that case the HDMI from the Humax is going straight to the TV. On all of the HDMI sources, both audio and video are working perfectly with the 5600 passing the video to the TV and it takes care of the sound. It's been fed Atmos via the Blu-Ray player (on HDMI input 1) and Atmos via the Popcorn on HDMI 3. It's also been fed everything from stereo through to 5.1 and DTS / high def audio from across the sources. In all cases, it's worked perfectly so far. Same for the optical input from the Humax box - no issues.

2. I could not get Spotify to work at all at first. I then plugged an actual network cable into the YSP as opposed to using WiFi. Without the cable, I could get the Internet radio to work but not Spotify / streaming. Since installing the cable, again I've had no issues. What I *did* find odd is that MusicCast requires server software running on your PC. It's obvious I suppose but there is no mention of it whatsoever in the instructions which seem to claim that it's entirely plug and play. I called Yamaha tech support who were excellent and recommended a freeware and a shareware server for my computer. I went Shareware and installed Twonky. It's 15 euros and it works a treat.

3. I haven't had this yet but again it's early days!

For getting the music better? All I do on mine is select 'stereo' (one of the buttons on the remote) because, even if you're feeding it only a stereo source, it does not auto-flip to stereo mode. I do find this odd because Atmos makes it do Atmos. Why doesn't stereo put it into 2 channel mode??? Not sure why, but it doesn't. If you leave it on your standard setting, you get a wonderfully wide soundstage for sure but it's a bit 'weird' in the middle. The soundstage shrinks but is more natural if you press that stereo button. So, for me, I use the presets. I have preset 1 for movies / tv etc (less sub and the centre channel up just a smidge). Preset 2 for movies when my wife is out (more sub ;) ) and preset 3 for music which just sticks it in stereo, alters the crossover on the sub to 80Hz (it's set at 100 for the surround modes) and I then have the sub adjusted a little so as it sounds natural. Once I got that set, I saved it in preset 3.

3. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Gary,

regarding audio assign: yeah unfortunately the mac mini that I am using as a source doesn't allow audio over the hdmi - apple have stopped it for some reason. the audio comes out the seperate 3.5mm/optical out. so audio assign is only way to combine them. which should work on yamaha.

my current work around is to switch to optical on the yamaha (instead of using one of the yamaha hdmi) but you don't get the on yamaha settings overlaid on the hdmi :-(

Re Spotify, it may be todo with wifi connection dropping. I will try it. not perfect workaround though.

best solution would be for yamaha to fix these bugs.

4. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just checked about the stereo option, your right, even though the yamaha detects Spotify connect and starts playing audio, it doesn't switch to stereo or disable any of the surround options (including the Clearvoice, cinema dsp or enhancer otpions).

5. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So Yamaha have released a firmware update v1.14 that apparently fixes audio assign! And some other bugs too.

6. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    I get audio over HDMI my mac mini. Apple certainly haven't 'stopped' it. Check your settings here.

Clem

7. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you may have a different mac mini than me, my one doesn't have hdmi out, I have to convert from mini display port to hdmi.

So technically my minidisplay port DOES NOT pass audio over it!

8. Clem_Dye

Clem_Dye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Ah, I see. I stand corrected. My mini is a 2012 model and it does the biz over hdmi.

Clem

9. Gary_W

Gary_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for this - I've updated.

Yamaha could do with putting better release notes.... If it's saying that it's made changes to Intellibeam, does this mean it wants us to re-do the auto setup? I'll do so tomorrow and try it (already got the current settings on a memory so no worries) but it'd be nice to know what they've changed really.

10. Petesie80

Petesie80
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I work overseas I'm seriously thinking of ditching all my AV equipment and opt for an easily transportable arrangement; at home in Ireland I bought a YSP 3300 and I'm impressed with the AV, less so with stereo.

My query to you is; Yammy are asking us to pay 2k for this 5600 set up, is it not reasonable to expect that all the above glitches are sorted out in their R&D department prior to shipping to the stores?

I expect the dealers are equally as peed off as the owners as they are usually the first receiver of complaints.

11. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Petesie80,

Well I have found the YSP-5600 to be a mixed bag: Surround sound is probably the best I have heard from a sound bar (and I have listened to many) assuming you have a standard room layout.

Stereo is still very tinny and lacks any depth. But then I have noticed this in most of the previous Yamaha ysp soundbars.
    The odd thing is that the stereo is better when using Spotify connect (so I guess Spotify have had a chance to tweak the yamaha in that mode).

As an aside, please note that the 5600 is much larger than the previous ysps (I guess due to the extra upward pointing speakers used for ATMOS).

As for bugs, yamaha did fix my bug in combining audio from toslink optical with video from hdmi.

But I have yet to see the DTSX support that they promised.
    So I think its a work in progress.

12. Merovingio

Merovingio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I know this is stupid, how do I update the firmware?
    Been with her for more than a year and no complaints, though u have seen what the first poster mentioned.
    Thanks

Sorted, sorry for posting this xDDD

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  13. luvinaudio

luvinaudio
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi merovingio, you can download the firmware update from Yamaha support page and unzip it onto a USB stick.

Then do the following steps (taken from Yamaha support update manual pdf):

Procedure
    1. Unplug the cable of YSP-5600
    2. Put USB package for YSP-5600 in USB flash memory
    3. Connect USB flash memory to YSP-5600
    4. Press-and-hold “volume -“ button and plug in the cable
    5. “FW Update” indication is appeared on FL
    6. Wait for firmware updating process is finished
    7. If “Success!” was displayed on FL, the firmware updating was completed. Please power off
    YSP-5600. If some error was occurred, please check the meaning of the error referencing “3.
    Indication and Meaning”.

You can also get the Yamaha to download the firmware via WiFi, but I find this alittle slow and troublesome in past. Your experience may vary though.