• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Yamaha YSP-5600 or alternative?

gilford

Distinguished Member
I've had a Yamaha YSP2500 for a few years now and although the sound is very good, I'm sick to death of the sub losing it's bluetooth connection.

I've been looking at the Yamaha YSP5600 which can now be had for circa £1200 but it is itself a few years old, does anyone have one and is it good?

Alternatively, what else is decent?

Cheers!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Why not use a wired connection to the sub instead, if it's available? It would be cheaper that replacing the 2500. I use a wired sub with my YSP4100 and I also use the trigger cable feature, so that the sub powers up and down when the 4100 is operated. It works a treat.

If the feature isn't up for grabs, then it definitely is on the 5600.

Clem

gilford

Distinguished Member
Can't unfortunately, the way my lounge has been designed the sub is placed behind the sofa opposite from the soundbar, we have a wet underfloor heating system and cannot channel wires in the floor (and couldn't be bothered with the faff either).

As the 5600 is £1200, is there anything else more current that beats it?

Aryn86

There's much better stuff available than the YSP5600 and cheaper.

The Samsung N950 can do both Atmos and DTS:X and has wireless rears for a proper surround sound experiance (can be found for 1100 online)

The N850 is the same as above but skips on the rears so if you have no space/need for rears this is a proper option (seen it for around 800 online)

Sony St5000 which also can do both Atmos and DTS:X like the above has no rear speakers but is a very powerful performer and is quite feature rich so you can use it as a dedicated hifi speaker aswell, meant to have a fantastic sub with it.

Talking of subs you do NOT get one with the YSP5600 so thats another investment you have to make with it while both samsung models and the sony have a quality sub included in the price.

gilford

Distinguished Member
I like the look of that Sony, but prefer the look and size of the YSP-5600, I don't know why most manufacturers design these so low.

Aryn86

I like the look of that Sony, but prefer the look and size of the YSP-5600, I don't know why most manufacturers design these so low.

Why do you want something so big? most people prefer more compact solutions I mean the N950/850 and the St5000 are hardly small soundbars and are quite hefty infact but the YSP5600 is just something I feel that was poorly designed hence it's size. Most importantly value for money, performance and features the options from Samsung and Sony are just better than the YSP5600 not to mention newer also I'm not sure if it's been updated but the last I heard the YSP5600 doesn't even have a HDR passthrough which is quite shocking.

gilford

Distinguished Member
Yes, hence why I asked about alternatives, @ over £1000 for a 3 year old design it does seem madness to buy one.

I'll go and take a look at the Sony, I have a 55" Sony TV so would go well with it.

I like the size of the Yamaha as I have a custom build in my lounge and it will fill the space nicely under the wall mounted TV, not willing to buy it just for aesthetics though!

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yamaha were ahead of the game when it came to sound bars, but I agree that the 5600 is looking a bit long in the tooth now, and the fact that it’s price has dropped from ~£1800 to ~£1200 suggests that perhaps it’s due to be replaced. That said, the spec. is still pretty decent. I run the older YSP4100 and that, in my opinion, does a decent job at up to 7.1 surround, so I’d certainly consider a 5600 as a direct replacement, although its size is a challenge, I agree. The Sony is the other option, and having a Sony TV I’d like to think that the two would play nicely together, it you never know.

Clem

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom