Yamaha YSP 5600 help/advice needed

dennis1

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had the sound bar 3 years now, I have connected it a couple of different ways and I must say I'm very under whelmed. No matter how it's done, the sound is not very convincing. My current set up is a Samsung Q7f t.v, with Sky Q and an xbox 1x. The current connections are these. T.V is connected to sound bar via ARC, then every thing is connected to t.v box (HDMI) as there is only 1 HDCP connection on the YSP 5600. I have tried connecting all components to the sound bar via the HDMI, but there seems to be no improvement. Should I connect Sky q to the Xbox, then run the HDMI to the ARC input on the sound bar? Seriously thinking of selling the YSP5600 and going back to separates with the Sony STRDN 1080 and buying the speakers. Will mention that I have used the set up mic at various locations to try and improve sound. Sorry for all the questions, but I am at my wits end at the moment. Many thanks in advance.

Odd. I have the older 4100 bar (no Atmos, etc.) and it’s bl**dy brilliant. The 5600 doesn’t pass HDR/DV so your Sky box will need to be connected to the TV for best picture results. I would try connecting the XBox to the 5600. Set-up wise, the auto setup can be a bit hit’n’miss and I’ve manually tweaked the channel levels on my 4100 to good effect. The centre channel for vocals was way too low. I do use a wired Yamaha sub, with my 4100. RS sells the cheapie Yamaha sub., so if you don’t have one that might be part of your problem. I’d buy a 5600 right now, but the price of them is still too steep for my wallet, that and the lack of 4K DV/HDR pass through is still a concern. You could have a duff unit, but I doubt it. Start by running the auto setup then tweaking the levels. Add a sub. if you don’t have one. Make sure that you have the latest firmware installed. I wouldn’t give up on the 5600. Room acoustics might mean that you have to set the channel levels manually. Yamaha UK technical support has always been helpful to me, so if you get stuck contact them.

Thanks for reply, I have connected xbox directly to the bar via one of the other HDMI and when I do that, I lose the HDR capabilities. I think the Sony STRDN will be my next purchase pretty soon as all of the inputs are HDCP 2.2 compliant. Keep an eye out for my YSP5600 for sale on here in the next couple of weeks. 😉

Then connect the xbox to your TV. Your room layout might be part of the issue, but if you don’t have a sub. or haven’t tweaked the levels then you’re doing the 5600 a disservice, to my mind.

I have had a this bar for about 3 years now. I now am having intermittent sound drop for about second in clumps, no matter whether I am using sky Q which is connected to the hdcp slot my PS4 and Xbox one in two of the others, my new 55gz950 uses the arc slot.
The dropouts are there even using the apps on the tv. I can’t say I’ve noticed it on the games consoles. I noticed in an old thread that a number of people experienced this but the only thing I could get from what Yamaha said to update the firmware mine is up to date.
I am trying to get through to Yamaha tech when it’s happening trouble is when I’m free can’t get through!!
Any suggestions ?

A new TV? Were there any issues using your old TV? What happens if you connect the devices to the 5600 as a test? Any dropouts then?

When I say new it’s 3 months old now. I finally talked with Yamaha and listened but don’t have any knowledge on this. I’ve power cycled everything and it’s still the same. I’ve done a hard reset and so far so good but I will post either way. All the peripherals are straight into the sound bar. I was thinking it could be the hdmi lead that goes to the tv but that doesn’t explain sky q. I did see about putting Sky Q straight to the TV what slot and what benefits would that bring?

If your TV supports HDR10 then you definitely want to connect the Sky box to it, as the 5600 will not pass HDR10/DV. Sky now supports, as I recall, HDR on some of its packages, so if you’re paying for that service you won’t get the benefit using it via the Yamaha.

I have a YSP2700 and I have the same problem of sound dropping out. It happens also for Netflix directly off my smart TV (Sky switched off) to the sound bar via the HDMI Arc.

panasonic tx-65gz950b
After yesterday doing a hard reset and setting it back up it’s certainly had less hiccups but obviously something is awry.

What happens if you swap the TV for another, assuming that you can?

Whilst Not impossible I would have to take It off the wall so don’t really want to get to that. As I said so far it’s behaving at the moment.

Just an update. I have now connected a 4k HDR 4:4:4 switching box, which means I can now connect everything to this and then connect the output to the only HDCP on the soundbar. Have also been playing about with the beam length and angles, seems to be a lot better now, some fine tuning to be done though. All in all, quite happy now.

Had it a while, it's an xoloy space, trying to upload pic, but phone won't pair at the moment.

Best results to get the best out the yammy was with an Hd fury intergral 2 or vertex with an xbox x and panny uhd player. so i can bypass the hdr /DV. I had it for two years and the ysp 5600 was rock solid only the hdr failure was an huge letdown and the price it too high for what it offers. Plenty of competition now and an 800 euro's costing samsung HW Q90r or JBL 9.1 makes chopsticks of the yammy. ;)

I have a YSP2700 and I have the same problem of sound dropping out. It happens also for Netflix directly off my smart TV (Sky switched off) to the sound bar via the HDMI Arc.
I've replace my HDMI cable and all OK now!!

Bluetooth is now not highlighted in the menu, anyone any ideas?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom