Hello guys,

So i am about to get an YSP-2700. I only plan to connect a Chromecast. Should that be put into the SB or into the TV (LG OLED 65C6V6)?

Thanks in advance

/Morten

I have all my sources plugged directly into the soundbar as many TVs will drop the audio quality to stereo on the ARC channel for devices plugged into the TVs HDMI ports.

Hi guys.

I currently own a Philips Fidelio XS1 sound base.
I bought it to go with my LG OLED 910V but, to be honest, I'm not impressed with it.
I have had it for 6 months now and am sick of adjusting the volume for ever TV channel and AV output. Looks lovely but the 5 star reviews I read about it seem to point to "paid" reviews.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this 2700 but am sceptical about the 5 star reviews and dont want to be drawn in yet again.
Is this soundbar REALLY as good as they are saying?
How does it compare to the XS1 if anyone knows that is....

Thanks in advance of replies.....

Hi guys.

I currently own a Philips Fidelio XS1 sound base.
I bought it to go with my LG OLED 910V but, to be honest, I'm not impressed with it.
I have had it for 6 months now and am sick of adjusting the volume for ever TV channel and AV output. Looks lovely but the 5 star reviews I read about it seem to point to "paid" reviews.

Anyway, I'm really interested in this 2700 but am sceptical about the 5 star reviews and dont want to be drawn in yet again.
Is this soundbar REALLY as good as they are saying?
How does it compare to the XS1 if anyone knows that is....

Thanks in advance of replies.....
You only have to scout through the thread to see what my impressions of the 270 are.

I'm amazed by how good it is, I really am. My room is far from ideal, yet the surround that the unit can produce is very immersive.

Sound quality is superb, and for the price, with sub included, it takes some beating.
Add into that, the future proofing factor of it being 4k HDR passthrough compatible, and the ability to link to the slick MusicCast system for connecting other satellite speakers around your home...

The surround will never be as good as separates, but I'd be surprised if another bar on the market can match the 270.

Anyone partnered the 2700 with either the Oppo 203 or the Panasonic UB900? If so any comments..

You only have to scout through the thread to see what my impressions of the 270 are.

I'm amazed by how good it is, I really am. My room is far from ideal, yet the surround that the unit can produce is very immersive.

Sound quality is superb, and for the price, with sub included, it takes some beating.
Add into that, the future proofing factor of it being 4k HDR passthrough compatible, and the ability to link to the slick MusicCast system for connecting other satellite speakers around your home...

The surround will never be as good as separates, but I'd be surprised if another bar on the market can match the 270.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a really good scour through the thread mate. I was initially put off by the 16 tweeter sized speakers and wondered how any midrange can be produced by these? Does the sub act as some sort of midrange/bass? If such a thing is possible.
If that was the case, the sub would have to sit out on display next to the TV stand but that wouldn't be a child friendly experience for the sub...LOL.

My set up is in a corner with the TV and current Philips soundbase. Does a corner set up allow the Yamaha to do its thing or would it limit the sound reproduction/experience?

You really do need the sub out on display... to get the most benefit, I was VERY concerned about my 2 year old wrecking mine, but she's been good.

Not sure how the mid/bass is shared or produced to be honest, but it works very well. I wouldn't class myself as an audio purist, but I am picky. Best thing you could do would be to call Richer Sounds and ask them to set you up a demo.

Corner setup will work absolutely fine.

Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a really good scour through the thread mate. I was initially put off by the 16 tweeter sized speakers and wondered how any midrange can be produced by these? Does the sub act as some sort of midrange/bass? If such a thing is possible.
If that was the case, the sub would have to sit out on display next to the TV stand but that wouldn't be a child friendly experience for the sub...LOL.

My set up is in a corner with the TV and current Philips soundbase. Does a corner set up allow the Yamaha to do its thing or would it limit the sound reproduction/experience?

The sub does handle almost all of the mid range. That is the reason this sub doesn't really have a really deep LFE. But it does sound GREAT

Thanks guys.

Fantastic info and it does sound tempting but I have a bit of a snag.
My TV has been professionally calibrated so if I was to buy the 2700 and run my HDMI's (PS4 and Freesat) through the receiver, I would lose my calibrated inputs on the TV would I not?
I guess all video would be passed via the HDMI out (ARC).....I'm quite sure that Steve (calibrator) copied his calibration results to every HDMI input on my TV including ARC. I'll have to ring him first before I even consider buying the 2700.

I have the YSP 2500 so similar in most respects, the sub on that is a bit taller less square, anyway my sub is placed behind the tv cabinet & works well for me
Cannot see it from the room & so all you can see is the tv & soundbar now;)
Also agree with the other poster that deep lfe is not the Yamaha function, but once you start getting real low bass the missus/neighbours will probably moan anyway

Well, thinking in buying this bar, but not sure if it will work in my living room. I have a complete open right side with 6 meters..

Anyone tested other options like a atmos sound bar? Does it work or is it just a gimmick? Wich did you prefer not looking at cost?

Other option is the philips fidelio E6..

But the more I research the more I like the ysp2700

A question, if you purchase 2 yamaha speakers to use with the Musiccast, will it just pass whatever you're listening on the 2700 or can they be used to do "true" surround?

Thanks

Well, thinking in buying this bar, but not sure if it will work in my living room. I have a complete open right side with 6 meters..

Anyone tested other options like a atmos sound bar? Does it work or is it just a gimmick? Wich did you prefer not looking at cost?

Other option is the philips fidelio E6..

But the more I research the more I like the ysp2700

A question, if you purchase 2 yamaha speakers to use with the Musiccast, will it just pass whatever you're listening on the 2700 or can they be used to do "true" surround?

Thanks
Don't believe you can use them for surround. They're just satellite speakers that can operate individually, or paired with the output of the 270. I have 2 at home and they work well. Sound is well reproduced and the UI is slick.

I have in my livingroom on the left and right side of my tv curtains. How does the YSP-2500/2700 deal with that? Because curtains will absorb sound instead of reflecting it.
I have the feeling that this has a very negative effect on the surround sound result.

I see the ysp-2700 has shot up to 899 in the UK.

I got mine for 650 which I thought was about right over Christmas.

I see the ysp-2700 has shot up to 899 in the UK.

I got mine for 650 which I thought was about right over Christmas.

This is exactly why I'm holding off on potentially buying it. Can't justify nearly a grand on a soundbar! It might be better than the XS1 that I'm currently using but it ain't 1k better...

This is exactly why I'm holding off on potentially buying it. Can't justify nearly a grand on a soundbar! It might be better than the XS1 that I'm currently using but it ain't 1k better...
I have the ht-st9 before, that cost me 1100. Huge reliability issues. But the sound was a serious step above this.

It ain't worth 900.

I have the ht-st9 before, that cost me 1100. Huge reliability issues. But the sound was a serious step above this.

It ain't worth 900.

I've heard about the Sony. Heard it was fantastic but flawed. I'm glad you said the 2700 isn't as good as the Sony when it comes to sound reproduction.
I have a Philips Fidelio XS1 and am happy with it to a certain degree but feel I should've done a bit more research before I bought it. The reviews were all 9/10 and 5/5 etc but it is NOT a 9/10 device! Paid reviews strike again....LOL.

I think I'll leave it... Something tells me that it wouldn't be much of an upgrade (if any) especially considering the price......

I've heard about the Sony. Heard it was fantastic but flawed. I'm glad you said the 2700 isn't as good as the Sony when it comes to sound reproduction.
I have a Philips Fidelio XS1 and am happy with it to a certain degree but feel I should've done a bit more research before I bought it. The reviews were all 9/10 and 5/5 etc but it is NOT a 9/10 device! Paid reviews strike again....LOL.

I think I'll leave it... Something tells me that it wouldn't be much of an upgrade (if any) especially considering the price......

Why not get a demo and see for yourself? No way I'd part with that much brass without a demonstration.

Big speakers, less crossover? [emoji848]

I was short on grammar.

So if you turn the sub off on the 2700 you know the sub is off...just sounds like tweeters, barely any midrange.

On the ht-st9 you turn the sub off you didn't know straight away...it took time for you to be sure it was off.

The speakers on the st9 were bigger and the whole device was just a solid professional setup. If you have seen it and heard it in person you would understand I think.

The 2700 is great, but not as good in my opinion. The Sony was majestic. Hence why it is/was half the price.

But sony is still *!#* house as it kept failing lol.

Hi All

Hoping you knowledgeable people can help me, I saw someone else post a similar issue with no resolution.

Basically I have this problem where both my Bluray playet and my PS4 either do not display any picture or if they do it takes several minutes to show up (meanwhile audio still comes through).

I have a Samsung KS9000 and the YSP2700. They are connected via the arc ports on both devices.

I then have a pvr (which we use to watch tv) connected to HDMI1.

That part works fine. But with ps4 or bluray in hdmi 2 and 3 I rarely get picture. The screen goes blank and audio works - the tv knows something is there as it doesn't bring up the "looking for signal" message.

When the picture does finally display, the video will cutout when you start watching something.

Cables have been replaced.

To me it seems like it is having trouble negotiating the resolution.

I love this soundbar but this is driving me nuts.

I keep meaning to say that if anyone is unsure over whether or not to invest in the 2700 then grab a copy of Dredd and demo the bar to the first 7-8 minutes of the film. I use it to show friends what the bar can do and they all leave a bit deaf with their mouth open wide.

Hi All

Hoping you knowledgeable people can help me, I saw someone else post a similar issue with no resolution.

Basically I have this problem where both my Bluray playet and my PS4 either do not display any picture or if they do it takes several minutes to show up (meanwhile audio still comes through).

I have a Samsung KS9000 and the YSP2700. They are connected via the arc ports on both devices.

I then have a pvr (which we use to watch tv) connected to HDMI1.

That part works fine. But with ps4 or bluray in hdmi 2 and 3 I rarely get picture. The screen goes blank and audio works - the tv knows something is there as it doesn't bring up the "looking for signal" message.

When the picture does finally display, the video will cutout when you start watching something.

Cables have been replaced.

To me it seems like it is having trouble negotiating the resolution.

I love this soundbar but this is driving me nuts.

I have an old PS3 plugged into it for the Sky Go app and sometimes the PS3 does take a while to show up as the sound bar wants to start up my Blu-Ray player (Samsung K8500) instead. Turning off the Blu-Ray player and selecting the correct HDMI input in the Yamaha remote usually fixes it quickly though. I'll admit it can be a bit annoying, but I have never owned a piece of tech that doesn't have some bad habits.

I have an old PS3 plugged into it for the Sky Go app and sometimes the PS3 does take a while to show up as the sound bar wants to start up my Blu-Ray player (Samsung K8500) instead. Turning off the Blu-Ray player and selecting the correct HDMI input in the Yamaha remote usually fixes it quickly though. I'll admit it can be a bit annoying, but I have never owned a piece of tech that doesn't have some bad habits.

But sitting at a blank screen for up to a minute? Sometimes it never comes up and I have to mess around with it.

Then when I start watching something I then have to go back to the start once the picture comes on as I would have missed everything to that point.

Something is very wrong, what I am not sure as the overwhelming majority of people have no issue.

Edit: did a lot of testing, when bluray player is plugged into tv directly it comes on screen instantly, through the soundbar up to a minute of sitting at a blank screen. On that blank screen the tv keeps flicking up saying SD 720p

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom