Question Yamaha YSP-2500 with 4K Sources & 4K HDR TV

PlasmaManiac

Hi all,

I purchased a YSP-2500 a couple of years back but literally got around 5 days use out of it before it got boxed up and put away due to personal circumstances.

I’ve recently moved to a place where the living room is big enough to justify a sound bar and have unpacked it and set it up under the new TV.

Here is my problem.

My old TV was an excellent Fujitsu P50XHA58EB which was only 720p capable but still produced a great picture.

I’ve since upgraded to a Samsung Series 8000 49” 4K HDR TV, SKY Q and a PS4 Pro.

I was enjoying 4K content via SKY Q, Netflix and the PS4 Pro until I introduced the YSP-2500 into the setup.

This is how I have connected up the YSP-2500;

The ARC HDMI connector on the YSP-2500 goes to the ARC HDMI connector on the TV. All sources (SKY Q, PS4) go to the HDMI inputs on the YSP-2500.

This works well, except the YSP-2500 cannot pass 4K to the TV. I am only getting 1080p on the TV at best now.

This is a huge shame, as I thought the YSP-2500 was 4K capable, and I can definitely tell the difference between HD and 4K content.

As I understand it, the ARC connector on the TV and YSP-2500 not only sends video/audio to the TV but also sends audio back to the YSP-2500 when using smarts apps such as Netflix.

Has anyone hit this problem?

What are my options? Connect the sources directly to the TV bypassing the YSP-2500, then use the optical out on the TV to the YSP-2500?

If so, what sound degrade if any would I suffer?

Thanks

next010

Distinguished Member
ARC & optical support the same audio formats PCM 2.0 stereo, Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1

If using ARC just unplug your set top boxes and plug them direct into the TV which will restore 4K/HDR functions. The ARC system will pass the STB audio to the soundbar but you are limited to 5.1

The reason to run the STB's through the sound bar is for the audio formats ARC/optical do not support like TrueHD/DTS-MA 7.1 but in doing so your going to lose 4K.

As to the YSP-2500 although it does have a HDMI 2.0a port according to others on these forums it lacks the HDCP 2.2 security system that is required for effective 4K support.

PlasmaManiac

Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.

It never occurred to me that I could just use the ARC connector for the audio instead of optical. I will try that thanks.

I do wonder if I will be able to tell the difference between Dolby/DTS 5.1 and TrueHD/DTS-MA on a sound bar.

I will give it a try and report back.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom