Yamaha YSP 2500 problem

Auren

Novice Member
Hello, can anyone help me why the Yamaha YSP 2500 soundbar turns off periodically? Where can I switch it so it doesn't turn off? I can't find it in the description. Thanks in advance!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Do you mean it switches itself off while playing content from your TV?
If so, how is it connected to your TV and what brand/model is it?

Auren

Novice Member
The broadcast goes on the TV and once you turn off the soundbar. If I turn it back on then all right. It turns off at uncertain intervals. I thought this option was programmed and somehow this could be turned off. It is connected to the TV with an optical cable. The TV is an LG 60UJ6309 Ultra HD HDR Smart device. Thanks if you can help!

outoftheknow

Do you have the TV optical cable in the optical jack that says “TV”? Do youu have an HDMI cable between the soundbar and TV to passthrough video?

no idea if or how that TV optical in is different in functionality terms to the other optical Jack that is said to be for other audio equipment......

Auren

Novice Member
The cable is secured at both ends. There is only one optical connector on the back of the TV, labeled (Optical Digital Audio Out). The back of the Yamaha has two optical inputs, one plain: Optical and the other labeled TV. It is plugged into the Optical input. If I plug it into the TV subtitle then there is no sound just picture.

Auren

Novice Member
The back of the TV

Attachments

• Screenshot_8.jpg
    Screenshot_8.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 25

outoftheknow

The cable is secured at both ends. There is only one optical connector on the back of the TV, labeled (Optical Digital Audio Out). The back of the Yamaha has two optical inputs, one plain: Optical and the other labeled TV. It is plugged into the Optical input. If I plug it into the TV subtitle then there is no sound just picture.
Thanks - if I could be clearer though .....

The manual shows how to connect various things and shows a fairly specific use of each optical input. What else do you have connected to the soundbar and TV? Is it set up like the non ARC capable TV setup where the TV optical is used in the manual?

There is nowhere in the manual I can see that switches off the soundbar - even ECO doesn’t do that. It may go into standby with no input but first you need to double check your connections are as shown the should be in the manual and soundbar input settings are correct.

outoftheknow

Sorry, I'm a little still ignorant of it, I just bought it. :)
No worries - could you clarify though on the connections a bit more?

you have the soundbar with only an optical cable between the “normal” optical port on the bar and the normal optical out on the TV? Nothing else connected to the soundbar at all?

the PS is connected by HDMI between it and a standard HDMI input on the TV?

the TV definitely has no ARC capable HDMI input?

what are the soundbar input settings?

what are the TV audio output settings?

what are the PS audio and video output settings?

connecting A/V can become so inter-related nowadays that issues are often to do with the connections and settings themselves :)

Auren

Novice Member
That's right, nothing but the optical cable is connected between the TV and the soundbar. The Playstation connects to the TV with its own cable.
I'll send you a photo.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 23

outoftheknow

It sounds like you should follow the instructions tk plug the games console into the soundbar using HDMI out from the console to one of the HDMI in on the soundbar. Then connect an HDMI cable from the soundbar out (marked ARC but ignore that) to a TV HDMI input. Then connect the optical from the TV as you are but to the soundbar optical marked TV. See goes 25 and 26 of the instructions.

The soundbar will get the best possible audio from devices plugged straight into it. The optical then only inputs the sound form the TV itself - not from an HDMI input. the video from the PS will simply passthrough the soundbar to the TV.

check the settings in the soundbar for when you want to hear (and see) the PS, and when you want to hear the TV. On the TV make sure audio out is set to external speakers and digital out (whatever that setting is on your TV).

That setup is more aligned with what the soundbar is capable of and will take your older HDMI setup (and handling of audio codecs via those) on the TV out of the equation.

outoftheknow

The Playstation has HDMI 2 (ARC) plugged in, so it works well.
Again you can ignore the ARC marking - plug the OS ARC HDMI out intk an HDMI input on the soundbar. But another HDMI cable if you have to and plug that into the soundbar HDMI out marked ARC and into an HDMI input on the TV. Change the optical input to the one marked TV. That is what is shown in the manual and is the best way to connect those devices where teh TV has no ARC HDMI input.

then check the soundbar settings for the connections shown in the manual.

It will then work as intended and I suspect then if it shuts down randomly you can contact Yamaha and at least explain you have connections and settings as shown in the manual :)

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom