Yamaha YSP-2200 Sound Bar - Mini Review

boglet2003

Standard Member
Reaction score
Owned - 2 weeks

This is a 2 week review..... I will add more detail later

I purchased this because we had just redecorated our living room and I didn't want it swamped by speakers in every corner, that were in place before. I was a little concerned at first because out living room is not a normal shape and the TV is not placed in the centre of the room. Even with our original 5.1 system we had trouble finding a sweet spot for the full surround effect.
Well I needn't have worried. The auto set up is quick and easy and takes everything into the room into account. (You even have to leave the room - in case you affect the reading). A load of weird noises come from behind closed doors and then after about 3 minutes the system is set up.
On initial start up the bass is deep, powerful and sweeping. The system comes with a demo DVD to set out all the settings and I was amazed just how well and defined the surround system sounded. Birds were heard tweeting in all corners of the room, and sound was rich and powerful (and I only had the volume on 20 /100!!)
Then there is the fine tuning.... a gadget geeks dream...
The various music modes also mean that this is a fully functional sound system as well as a home cinema system.
There is a sweet spot, but much bigger than in my previous system. I also had to place my speaker lower down that I would have liked, (almost at floor level), this doesn't seem to affect the overall surround effect much.

Bad Points
Two small things

If you are a gadget geek you will be fine tuning for weeks !!!!!!!!
Remote looks a bit plasticy... shame when you pay so much !!

Owned - 2 weeks

I purchased this because we had just redecorated our living room and I didn't want it swamped by speakers in every corner, that were in place before. I was a little concerned at first because out living room is not a normal shape and the TV is not placed in the centre of the room. Even with our original 5.1 system we had trouble finding a sweet spot for the full surround effect.
Well I needn't have worried. The auto set up is quick and easy and takes everything into the room into account. (You even have to leave the room - in case you affect the reading). A load of weird noises come from behind closed doors and then after about 3 minutes the system is set up.
On initial start up the bass is deep, powerful and sweeping. The system comes with a demo DVD to set out all the settings and I was amazed just how well and defined the surround system sounded. Birds were heard tweeting in all corners of the room, and sound was rich and powerful (and I only had the volume on 20 /100!!)
The various music modes also mean that this is a fully functional sound system as well as a home cinema system.
There is a sweet spot, but much bigger than in my previous system. I also had to place my speaker lower down that I would have liked, (almost at floor level), this doesn't seem to affect the overall surround effect much.

Bad Points
Two small things

Thats interesting I have had for just over a week and whilst I love the sound the surround effects have been minimal - tv in the corner with a settee close by.

Did you place the speaker lower down to get the effects or was that the only place you could fit it in.

Know what you mean about the remote.

Last edited:
I placed the speaker lower down as there was a shelf on my tv stand where it would fit very nicely. However, this was the lowest shelf, which is almost on the floor. It also fit in front of the TV, but it looked a bit cluttered.
I had to recalibrate it when I moved it for the effects to work again.

The surround effects do seem to work. I spent a while though moving the intelli setup mic to different places, altering the angle of the speaker a bit to get the best result.

I't not perfect, but my room is really an odd shape with alcoves etc. However I do get a full 'room' of sound, with well defined stereo separation and good surround effects. Someof the rear ones are a bit hit and miss, but i put this down to some of the 'beams' being deflected up my stairs!! (i may settle down and manually set these up at some stage).

Even so the sound is still far more powerful and richer than my old 5.1 speaker system.

I find digital music from my ipod to sound fantastic - far better than the stereo system I had.

Do you use the dsp? I found the surround worked better with everything swicthed off except the digital music enhancer. The Univolume feature just made things sound hollow! I have never been a fan of dsp settings..

I also found the default setting for teh center speaker was a bit low, so i upped that a bit and increased the treble.

Around £720

Owned - 2 weeks

Bad Points
Two small things

I watched Terminator Salvation last night - wow sound was incredible :smashin:

Got the YSP Exmas eve, tried Avatar BD and was really impressed with the sound quality, still a not totally happy with the surround efects, but i`ll mess around with it and try a few things to improve it.
Overall its a quality bit of kit if you want to do away with all the clutter of cables etc and its future proof being 3D enabled for when i upgrade my LCD to Full 3d.... as what to go for i`m just not sure just now, but i`ll be looking at the main players in the market to see whats on offer, but it wont be till early year when prices drop and more importantly better choice of Movies/ content become available.

Hi There, :hiya:

Just wondering if this soundbar can be mounted?
Also, can you please give us some updates on this from last entry? like how the surround sound is sounding now after endless tweaking? :thumbsup:

I'm very interested in getting it, but £720 is not exactly peanuts

Last edited:
would be interested in this myself
we have a wall mounted TV upstairs and would be good to mount a speaker bar under it

Hi There, :hiya:

Just wondering if this soundbar can be mounted?
Also, can you please give us some updates on this from last entry? like how the surround sound is sounding now after endless tweaking? :thumbsup:

I'm very interested in getting it, but £720 is not exactly peanuts

Looking at the manual there is no reference to this unit being wall mounted, i`m sure its designed to be installed on a tv stand.
I`ve reset the intellibeam after repositioning a few things in my sitting room and the sound has improved very well, i also gave the settings additional tweets, but overall i`m fairly happy with it. Now i`m waiting to see whats gonna be new on the 3D market in the next couple of months, and i do hope that Passive 3D will take off, as i dont mind paying a couple of quid for these type of glasses compaired to the active glasses, that way it will be a system that everyone can enjoy??

would be interested in this myself
we have a wall mounted TV upstairs and would be good to mount a speaker bar under it

Yamaha and others make soundbars that can be wall mounted, have a look online and you will come accross ones that can be wall mountable.

Looking at pictures of the rear, there are no mounting holes.

Hello everyone.
Been doing quite a bit of research here and have narrowed my choice to this. Unfortunately not a single place I know off seem to have a unit for demo hence looks like will end up buying it solely based on reviews. Just wondering what you guys thought about this unit in a "L" shaped room with the TV and unit in the top of the long limb in the "L". Any opinion would be extremely useful. Thanks.

Hello everyone.
Been doing quite a bit of research here and have narrowed my choice to this. Unfortunately not a single place I know off seem to have a unit for demo hence looks like will end up buying it solely based on reviews. Just wondering what you guys thought about this unit in a "L" shaped room with the TV and unit in the top of the long limb in the "L". Any opinion would be extremely useful. Thanks.

As long as your listening and viewing position is facing your tv with the YSP and Sub directly underneath it, you should be fine on getting the surround effects. There are full instruction on the YSP website to download on this unit, and how to set the unit up.
Download the PDF file and have a closer look at the Unit, then that may give you an idea of what you are buying.:thumbsup:

Hey bizzybee, do you have a link for the pdf ?

Can't find anything at

YSP-2200 - Digital Sound Projector - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

unless it is starting me in the face and I can't see it :)

Cheers,

nwpsys

Hey nwpsys.

Try this link, its the USA version. I Know its not the UK/EU version, but i think the unit will be exactly the same other than the voltage difference.
I tried to get the uk/eu link but the page did no load.
My Unit came with a Disk on all the (advanced) set up instructions.
At least it will give you an idea of what your looking at.:thumbsup:

YSP-2200 - Digital Sound Projector - Yamaha - United States

Thanks BizzyBee,

ashamed that this one can't be mounted.
By the way, is the subwoofer wireless or wired?

Thanks BizzyBee,

The Subwoofer is wired from the Unit, It comes with a connecting cable to link it up.
Hope this helps.

This has just been reviewed in this month's "What Hi-Fi?" and they give it glowing praise and five stars.

I can see this being hugely popular in many domestic living rooms whereby one person wants Surround Sound and another person doesn't want lots of boxes and cables!

I know that opinion of the magazine is mixed on here, but I thought it was a good review.

Derek

Around £720

Hi I am looking at buying this model, I live in Spain and the cheapest I can buy online is 999 Euros. I'm going to the UK later in the year so it's possible I could bring one back. Where did you buy yours?

Hi

I made an impulse buy to put this in the bedroom

The issue is that I did not measure the speaker, but checked on line and noted that my cabinet is not wide enough where the TV is housed.

My only option is to put the speaker ontop of the cabinet. This will be around 5ft off the floor.

Question. this has auto setup. Anyone tested the speaker higher up??

Note: Not picked up the speaker , so could cancel. Not sure what other option I could go for!

Im thinking about getting this item, can anyone tell me how soundbars perform with windows and curtains in the room, do they still work ok?

Thanks BizzyBee,

Although the unit can't be wall mounted you can either put a small shelf under the TV and place the unit on that or even just a discreet pair of shelf supports to support it.

I'm also thinking about getting one of these to de-clutter the lounge a bit. Can you tell me if it has a headphone socket? I occasionally watch movies / play games late at night on headphones and I know some soundbars don't have a socket!

Hi

The soundbar does not have a headphone socket, the 3.5mm socket on the front of the unit is used for the intelibeam set up. Pherhaps if you required a headphone connection you could just take it from source. ie: tv, hifi which would still give you digital stereo.
Go to the Yamaha website and download the users/set up instructions that`ll give you more info on the unit.
Hope this helps.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom