Question Yamaha YSP-1600 still any good

badsimian

Theres a Yamaha YSP-1600 new going for £169. Looks pretty good and reviewed very well albeit back in 2016. Im only after something to improve sound from my LG B7 with HDMI arc and not spend too much. sounds like it does a fairly good pretend surround sound too.
would a more modern one like the YAS-170 be better?

Russ_64

I really like my YSP-1600 which I have been using daily for last ~3 years. The integrated subwoofers (2 upfiring) are good and dialog is good if you use the different sound options.

I tried to use ARC but could not get it to work as I use an AVR for movies (and ARC works to that), so I use Optical out on TV to SB. This model only does DD 5.1 not DD+ 7.1. The HDMI passthru does HDR but not DV or HLG (again why I use AVR for Sky Q and Apple TV).

I have been tempted by lower price of the YSP-2700 and MusicCast BAR 400 but they have seperate subwoofers and don't offer enough to upgrade. Maybe a newer YAS-109 or YAS-209 are better but it is hard to tell from specs alone.

badsimian

Thanks for the reply, I think my needs are fairly simple. I just use the in-built apps on the LG so don't need 4K HDR inputs. Dialog is quite important to me as I am a little hard of hearing and struggled with my current Panasonic sound base. I am also never going to go down the separate-sub route either for various reasons. About the only thing I can find for a similar price is a refurb or second hand YAS-107...I'm hoping that the fact it is a mid-range though means overall the sound will be superior to the YAS-107.

Russ_64

It sounds like for your needs it could be a good fit and great value (pity they only have silver now - I have black, but that is personal preference). I paid £349 back then and it is still so good, that I cannot justify an upgrade.

Top Bottom