Yamaha ysp-1400 or 2500?

ron swanson

I'm really keen on the Yamaha YSP range and I'm 90% sure I will go with a Yamaha soundbar. Can anyone give me any impressions of the 1400 or the 2500. I've read a lot of reviews etc but I still can't make my mind up which would be best!

I know the 1400 is the bottom end of the range and it's reflected in the price. The thing with this soundbar is the lack of HDMI input. I can add a subwoofer at a later date if I want though. Once connected to the tv via the optical port can I use the TV speakers again for watching at night or when I need to be quiet? With my old sony surround system it's all connected via HDMI and I can just turn it off anf use the tv speakers. Would I have to unplug the optical connection?

I really like the sound of the 2500 though but I'm not sure as a low end user I could justify the cost. I'd mainly use it for videogames and movies with the odd bit of TV too and I'm not sure if it would be overkill for someone like me. On the other hand would the system keep me happy for the next 10 years?

I'm hoping to wall mount my TV in the future, would this have any bearing on these particular soundbars?

Thanks for reading.

Rick plant

Novice Member
Hi
i Have purchased YSP 2500 sound bar, the sound out is very very good, if your looking for 5.1 surround sound then this isn't for you, there are numerous sound options including 3+beam surround, stereo,etc, you can set up this sound bar using intelligent target sound by setting up the sound with a microphone set on a Cardboard stand (included in the box) check out the below for more details
Yamaha YSP-2500 Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer Review

ron swanson

Hi
i Have purchased YSP 2500 sound bar, the sound out is very very good, if your looking for 5.1 surround sound then this isn't for you, there are numerous sound options including 3+beam surround, stereo,etc, you can set up this sound bar using intelligent target sound by setting up the sound with a microphone set on a Cardboard stand (included in the box) check out the below for more details

Thanks for that I'll take a look.
Hi

Hi, thanks for that I'll take a look at it in a bit. I'm replacing my old 5.1 system and I much prefer the idea of a soundbar despite it's limitations.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
following this thread as I'm also a yamaha fan and the 1400 looks good but also wondering if no HDMI will make a difference to someone (like me) who doesnt want or need a huge cinema loud system. The 2500 is too expensive for my needs, all I want is to hear MUCH better clear sound that sounds like a hi-fi and makes movies more immersive.

ron swanson

following this thread as I'm also a yamaha fan and the 1400 looks good but also wondering if no HDMI will make a difference to someone (like me) who doesnt want or need a huge cinema loud system. The 2500 is too expensive for my needs, all I want is to hear MUCH better clear sound that sounds like a hi-fi and makes movies more immersive.

My third choice is a Sony HT-CT380. It's a little more expensive than the YSP-1400 but has HDMI connections. While I don't mind splashing out on the 2500 I'm starting to wonder if the sound projection system might not work so well in the room it will be in. Also as I said I don't know if it will be overkill for a low end user such as myself.

My HT-IS100 5.1 system is starting to show it's age a bit and while it's still a decent low end system I would like to upgrade in the near future and prefer the simplicity of a good soundbar despite their limitations.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
My third choice is a Sony HT-CT380. It's a little more expensive than the YSP-1400 but has HDMI connections. While I don't mind splashing out on the 2500 I'm starting to wonder if the sound projection system might not work so well in the room it will be in. Also as I said I don't know if it will be overkill for a low end user such as myself.

My HT-IS100 5.1 system is starting to show it's age a bit and while it's still a decent low end system I would like to upgrade in the near future and prefer the simplicity of a good soundbar despite their limitations.
That Sony HT CT380 looks excellent, thanks for mentioning- now to do research and see if it copes with the dumb downing tv's do to the audio signal

ron swanson

Please feel free to let me know what you find!

With me it's down to the three I mentioned. As much as I would like to go out and buy the 2500 I'm a bit worried that the shape of the room might leave me underwhelmed with it. I keep reading what an excellent bit of kit it is but it works best in a long rectangular room which I don't have.

I keep reading and reading and changing my mind! £500 odd is a lot of money to drop on somthing only to find you're dissapointed because it can't work optimally in your setup. Not doubting the quality of Yamaha at all but not sure it would quite work for me.

nikonuser11

Distinguished Member
Please feel free to let me know what you find!

With me it's down to the three I mentioned. As much as I would like to go out and buy the 2500 I'm a bit worried that the shape of the room might leave me underwhelmed with it. I keep reading what an excellent bit of kit it is but it works best in a long rectangular room which I don't have.

I keep reading and reading and changing my mind! £500 odd is a lot of money to drop on somthing only to find you're dissapointed because it can't work optimally in your setup. Not doubting the quality of Yamaha at all but not sure it would quite work for me.
what I find after a few hours of research is a good soundbar that is let down by certain key sounds that I know would annoy me. Everything points back to getting a Yamaha YSP model.

ron swanson

what I find after a few hours of research is a good soundbar that is let down by certain key sounds that I know would annoy me. Everything points back to getting a Yamaha YSP model.

What are the problems you have found so far?

With my HT-IS100 it would only play sky in 2.0 unless I used an optical cable but then at the time Sky barely had anything in 5.1. I'm guessing the same is true of the CT380?

I can get a HT-CT380 from Amazon, I could always give one a try.

ron swanson

Now I've been doing a bit more looking around I've come across the Sony HT-RT5, it's a soundbar but has wireless rear speakers. I know I was looking for a soundbar for simplicity but at least with the 2 rear speakers it might compensate for the shape of the room and give me a better experience than a 2.1 in virtual surround mode.

It's the trailing cables that bothered me the most with a true 5.1 setup, I could always get a couple more plug points installed as unfortunatley each speaker needs a plug (4 in total) It also doesn't support high resolution audio but I've no idea what that is and if it would make any difference to me.

reecie

Philips do a sound bar with a rechargeable speaker either end that pops off to make the rears when required. Failing that most soundbars will not give you more than 2.1 anyway. So it is whether the yap-2500 is still a good enough 2.1 for the extra. It always has the chance of 5.1 working to a degree. Richer Sounds will probably let you try one at home anyway

Last edited:

GAS66

Now I've been doing a bit more looking around I've come across the Sony HT-RT5, it's a soundbar but has wireless rear speakers. I know I was looking for a soundbar for simplicity but at least with the 2 rear speakers it might compensate for the shape of the room and give me a better experience than a 2.1 in virtual surround mode.

It's the trailing cables that bothered me the most with a true 5.1 setup, I could always get a couple more plug points installed as unfortunatley each speaker needs a plug (4 in total) It also doesn't support high resolution audio but I've no idea what that is and if it would make any difference to me.

The Sony does support high res audio, you know, both DTS-Master audio. Dolby True HD and L.D.A.C high res blue tooth streaming.. Good luck with your search.

ron swanson

The Sony does support high res audio, you know, both DTS-Master audio. Dolby True HD and L.D.A.C high res blue tooth streaming.. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, after I made the post I looked in a couple of places and it seems Amazon has made an error with the product on their site.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom